Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Where is this exactly? I don't remember there being any gas stations near the Gulch.

It's on Division between the Icon and Yazoo. The lot has been cleared and empty for several years.

Oh, that little "matchbox" station; forgot I used to buy gas there (occupying only the front (south) part of that block between Magazine and Overton).  It had been a Citgo station managed as a Scot Market, like ones that had been at the of the Shell on 8th Ave So. (near Zanie's), site of the Shell station at Bransford and Thompson Ln, the site of the Shell on Thompson Ln west of Crown Ford, and the site of the BP on White Bridge, and Burgess,  same block and south of Sprintz Furniture.

I'm sure there must've been other Scot Market Citgo's around the city but the one on Division was the last fillin' station in that redevelopment area for quite a while before goin' under.  They got bought out by Tri-Star (Kimbro and Parman) back in 2007 and changed them to Shell franchises.

-==-

Edited by rookzie

Now that you mention it, I agree about the (lack of) museums.  I was recently in Raleigh and was very, very impressed with their Museum of Natural Sciences. It's right across a public use pavilion in front of the capitol building, along with the Museum of History. Around the block is the Raleigh children's museum. It's a small, but very well thought-out area. And the museums are fantastic. Nashville could really use something like that.   

Edited by NikOnder

A major art museum with a respectable permanent collection would be a great asset to our city. Without the donation of some wealthy family's private collection, putting together an impressive inventory of art might, however, be highly unlikely. Something that might be a bit more attainable would be a museum with a collection of one individual artist or an institution with some other limited focus. One esteemed artist with a strong Nashville connection is Red Grooms. Sadly, the beautiful carousel that he created (once located at Riverfront Park) is now packed up in crates and warehoused somewhere instead of being out for the enjoyment of our citizens and visitors. About eight years ago I had a conversation with a woman in Winnipeg, MB and upon finding out I was from Nashville, she told me that we had her favorite carousel in the entire world. And now NOBODY sees it!!! Grooms is a prolific artist and still living. I believe Cheekwood has a fairly large collection of his work. I vote for the establishment of "The Art of a Native Son--The Red Grooms Museum!" (And get that carousel out on view again!!!)

• Like 3

A museum everyone forgets about is the military museum. It's small, but it has an impressive collection for its size. Unfortunately it's tucked away in a basement and see's hardly any advertising or publicization.

The Parthenon is kind of the same. It has a small, but impressive art collection, and the interior of the temple section is incredible. Unfortunately, it's only ever advertised as a decorative park centerpiece. I think a lot of people are surprised that it contains anything of interest.

Nashville has a few places to experience good art, including the Parthenon, the Van Vechten gallery, the Vanderbilt Fine Arts Gallery, and Cheekwood, but they're so spread apart and they experience such little publicizing that they're very easily missed. Nashville desparately needs a good art alliance that can coordinate the disparate efforts of these museums and galleries and do more to bring them to the public eye.

I'd like a bigger art museum, the Frist is kinda small.  A Natural History museum with dinosaurs and stuff would be cool, like the Field Museum in Chicago.

Even Raleigh has done a fantastic job with its NC Museum of Natural Sciences and dinos, replete with some great quality gift shops.  It's actually a small campus of 4 buildings.  When I used to frequent it until 2006, I could always find the appropriate gift for any age ─ even some interesting (but pricey) natural stone jewelry for my mom.  I'm still taken aback with how much Nashville has been so behind the capital city of Raleigh w/r/t state-supported tourism and visitation for families ─ Raleigh having a rather diminutive CBD compared to that of Nashv'l, but certainly having it "together" with the museums.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 3

Even Raleigh has done a fantastic job with its NC Museum of Natural Sciences and dinos, replete with some great quality gift shops.  It's actually a small campus of 4 buildings.  When I used to frequent it until 2006, I could always find the appropriate gift for any age ─ even some interesting (but pricey) natural stone jewelry for my mom.  I'm still taken aback with how much Nashville has been so behind the capital city of Raleigh w/r/t state-supported tourism and visitation for families ─ Raleigh having a rather diminutive CBD compared to that of Nashv'l, but certainly having it "together" with the museums.

-==-

As far as the Art Museum in Raleigh is concerned, it is actually a State of North Carolina facility. I got to visit it recently and was amazes at the amount of high profile artwork on view there. Apparently in the 50's or 60's the State made a lot of money available to purchase artwork and a collection of Renoir and Degas and many other paintings were purchased and a contemporary building in the center of the Triad was built to house them. The facility and collection is definitely an over achievement for a City of Raleigh's size.

If you were to combine the collections from Fisk, the Parthenon and Cheekwood in Nashville, it wouldn't begin to compare with what Raleigh has. Nashville needs some patrons to step up and build a permanent collection.

• Like 2

As far as the Art Museum in Raleigh is concerned, it is actually a State of North Carolina facility. I got to visit it recently and was amazes at the amount of high profile artwork on view there. Apparently in the 50's or 60's the State made a lot of money available to purchase artwork and a collection of Renoir and Degas and many other paintings were purchased and a contemporary building in the center of the Triad was built to house them. The facility and collection is definitely an over achievement for a City of Raleigh's size.

If you were to combine the collections from Fisk, the Parthenon and Cheekwood in Nashville, it wouldn't begin to compare with what Raleigh has. Nashville needs some patrons to step up and build a permanent collection.

I would like to "forge" that motion over and over, again and again!!!

-==-

I would like to "forge" that motion over and over, again and again!!!

-==-

I still can't understand how the city allowed the new museum in northwest Arkansas (Crystal Bridges Museum) to buy the Fisk art (I think CB gets to display it half the time...and Fisk the other half).  It would have been nice to have come up with a way to keep it full time in Nashville.

• Like 1

She's a beauty.....and doesn't get enough publicity. You would think there would be a sign or something in Centennial Park directing people to it. Unless you did research beforehand of the Parthenon, you would never know she exist.

From Wiki

640px-Athena_Parthenos_LeQuire.jpg

I think Nashville as a whole offers a ton more to do than many cities of our size, even with everything being spread out. But you guys are right, we could definitely use some improvement in the museum and arts department in the CBD.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g55229-Activities-Nashville_Tennessee.html

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 4

^^^^^I bet 95% of Nashvillians don't know that even exists.

Athena is truly a masterpiece.  It is something that is unmatched anywhere in this country.  I can't believe it doesn't get more publicity. 

If they would publicize Athena as having Little Nike - the Goddess of Victory, in her right hand, then I bet it might get more visitation LoL.

-==-