Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Apologies, PH. I was trying to quote you on mobile and accidentally hit the delete button!

I don't think it will let me restore it, so please do post it again (thankfully it was a picture and not a block of text!).

122224d1178138391-what-if-ban-him.jpg

:thumbsup:

• Like 4

Nope. It's all been in my head, so it wasn't too difficult to transcribe -- but I wrote this pretty much thought for thought after I read your call-out. And I didn't mind doing it. It helps me clarify my thoughts.

On that note -- while this is my take on it, I'm sure I'm not the only one with ideas about this area or corridor. Other ideas, tweaks, or even criticisms are certainly welcome if anyone wishes to add them.

Your head is such a confusing place too.

• Like 1

Forgive the MSPaint-ish graphics, but this will at least give you an idea of what I am thinking:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?hl=en&authuser=0&mid=z4W5arWAGhSI.kST4nxR13X0c

**ZOOM IN FOR BEST RESULTS**

It isn't just an interstate cap. It is a park/plaza and new thoroughfare (using existing streets/ROWs, but with much greater importance).

-The downtown clustermess of exits, ramps, and horrifying merging will be no longer. The Demonbreun, Broadway, and Church exits will be done away with in favor of primary downtown access via 12th Ave S and Charlotte Pk.

-The exit at 12th S will have right AND left lane exits due to the close proximity of the 40/65 interchange (no longer will drivers exiting 65 have to cut across I-40 to exit downtown -- likewise those entering the highway from 12th can choose to enter the right (65) or left (40) side. I think that would clear up a lot of congestion caused by merging traffic. The 12th Ave exit would likely be or resemble a single point interchange.

-The exit at Charlotte would be modified to a simple diamond interchange.

-There could possibly be an additional exit added between Herman and Jackson Sts...a partial exit. Whether it is south off/north on or vice versa would depend on a traffic study.

-A new corridor would be created linking 12th Ave and Jefferson St, straddling both sides of the interstate. This would be a divided road consisting of 3-4 lanes, possibly including a bus lane, but definitely a bike lane, throughout its existence. It would serve as a primary artery, a grand boulevard, that separates Downtown from Midtown, and provides a crucial, uninterrupted artery from north to south THROUGH downtown (right now, only 8th Ave serves that need). There might be some portions where land adjacent to the corridor would have to be built up to give it more of a level feel throughout.

-The primary interstate cap would start at the 12th S overpass, and continue on for roughly 2/3 of a mile to about the midway point of the NES building on Church (roughly 200 ft past Church St). The cap would include a winding pedestrian/bike path (not pictured on the map) that would pass over Division, Demonbreun, and Broadway, and have primary ROW over any other crossing (with the exception of 12th and Church, the termini). This would not be so much a pedestrian/bike throughway as it would be a means of connecting the many 'parcels' of the new park so they wouldn't seem so chopped up. It could be used as a single, long park, skinny park (think Central Park meets Kate Moss). It would more or less be the entire length of the interstate canyon, where the depth of the interstate is approximately bridge clearance depth (safely enough for a standard tractor trailer to pass through).

-The secondary interstate cap would be an approximately 200'x300' (~1.4 acre) park starting at Jefferson St and heading south. While small, this would provide a larger connection between Hope Gardens and the Fisk area neighborhood. There is also a possibility of creating a new bridge at Jackson St, further connecting the two neighborhoods (right now, power lines cross, but not the road itself). So much of the street grid was ripped apart for the creation of the interstates...this would merely be a bandage, but perhaps it could start the "healing" process, increasing the connectivity of our urban neighborhoods.

-Laurel, McGavock, and Grundy Sts would now have a level connection with their separated sections. My initial thought is that these would not be converted to full streets, but rather the corridors would create a clear pedestrian path, complete with flashing street signs (a la Demonbreun Hill). I imagine this would become a bigger deal as the side streets on both sides of the interstate fill with new urban development.

-The entire corridor (both the part bordering the parks, and the part that would be below the interstate grade) would be tree-lined, bike laned, and sidewalked (OF COURSE!) As stated earlier, a bus lane might or might not be included.

The interstate would be a constant 4 lanes through the entire tunneled section.

To summarize the impacts:

-Ingress/egress of downtown exits simplified.

-New corridor created.

-New parks created.

-Land values increased.

Thanks, rookzie, for reminding me that I created that!

This exact idea was the topic of discussion on Wednesday and Thursday at two presentations organized by the Nashville Civic Design Center:

http://www.civicdesigncenter.org/news/april-urban-design-forum.1434045

http://www.civicdesigncenter.org/events/citythink

It was particularly the focus of Thursday morning's event.  Both of them were inspired by Dallas' Klyde Warren Park, which capped the freeway between downtown and uptown Dallas and has been an undisputed boon to both quality of life and economic activity in the area.

It's an expensive idea, but one that I believe would be incredible for Nashville.  Perhaps there are some synergies to be found between members of this forum and the NCDC in terms of advocating for this project.  

• Like 3

Had no idea that they might have planned to keep those 2 gems on the left and middle of that block along 12th; wouldn't be as bad as I would have assumed, if that's the case.  (or am I just seeing things?)

-==-

This is an old, pre-recession proposal for that lot. I never saw or heard of any proposal that kept those brick structures afterward.

Ron Bloom still thinks he is going to put up a 50-story Four Seasons on that site.  My guess is he'll sell his new parking lot. 

The correct names are Mark Bloom, Ronnie Scott, and Larry Papel (aka Corner Partnership).  Just a few recent articles about this site... 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/four-seasons-eyes-nashville.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/05/like-luxury-this-investor-wants-to-bring-you-super.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/real-estate/2015/04/prominent-nashville-investors-clear-gulch-property.html

1111laurel*750xx800-450-0-43.jpg

Edited by MLBrumby