Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I feel you on that one I take the green circuit bus just so I can go downtown to go to the grocery store in the Viridian

besides the grocery store I love living in the gulch

It's pitiful that you have to ride the green bus to get to a decent store.  The Hills Urban Market is cool, don't get me wrong, and as a downtown worker, when I want something decent as groceries I usually will trek over there from my perch to get the 2 or 3 items that I prefer to get from there.  I reckon the green bus shouldn't be so bad on weekends,since traffic is sparse on those days, except for a few events.  Besides, it probably knows you by now.

But you need a full-service store without the need for a car.  So then maybe since the MTA has permanently re-routed the Nº17 bus to run the entire distance from Division to Charlotte via 11th, maybe the anticipated build of a Publix or whatever in Capitol View just can't come soon enough for you (if they just put some decent stops along the way).

-==-

Wait a minute. I thought Sherwin Williams was on Lea and 7th on the other side of the roundabout? Is there more than one in that area?

Three downtown.  Two at Lea: commercial coatings bldg, right beside Lea, and the one called "Product Finishes", on the same "block" but actually facing Drexel.  I believe one of these actually used to be on Shirley St. (Ave.?) before it got eaten up by KVB and the MCC

..and one at 4th (retail "Paint Store), between Lafayette and the interstate.

-==-

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1

As a Gulch resident, there's a severe lack of stuff that fits my day-to-day needs. I know a lot of my neighbors are into the nicer restaurants and stuff, but there's nothing here for regular use. Turnip Truck is nice and all, but it's expensive and it is difficult for me to commit to their prices - especially since I don't subscribe to the organic lifestyle. I often find myself wanting to walk somewhere to grab a quick, inexpensive bite with no where to go but Subway.

I'd love to see a market similar to what Viridian has, but I don't see it happening any time soon with Turnip Truck already in place.

I'd *love* to see Cantina Loredo close and be replaced with Las Palmas. We'd wear that out. Thankfully we're eventually going to have a 20 million dollar bridge to Cindo De Mayo in Cummins Station.

• Like 2

Wow!  What a beautiful old building.  I wish them much success for all the right reasons... they're repurposing an historic building.... they're bringing a 24-hour business to a quiet corner of the cbd... the owners are bona-fide art aficionados. Should tie-in to Printers/Bankers Alley quite nicely too.  I suspect this place will not be cheap... but I've heard the original hotel in Louisville is very top-notch. 

Though I only stayed at the hotel once, I visited the first 21C quite a bit when I lived in Lexington (recurringly revelled at Proof on Main and ran into more than a few celebrities during Derby).

Nashville is the right city for the brand. Y'all just wait...

• Like 1

Karl Dean announces plan to move Criminal Justice Center operations

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2015/04/21/karl-dean-announce-plan-move-criminal-justice-center-operations/26119461/

From the article:

The proposal calls for moving the sheriff's office downtown jail — housed in the 33-year-old Criminal Justice Center —as well as an East Nashville training facility and other operations into an expanded Metro-Davidson County detention facility at 5115 Harding Place.

The police headquarters, which is also housed in the CJC, would move to property on Jefferson Street. In recent weeks, speculation has centered on properties at 14th and Jefferson near Interstate 40 as a likely destination.

Abandoning the Criminal Justice Center — situated across from the Metro Courthouse — would open up prime real estate in the heart of downtown. The roughly 3.53-acre Criminal Justice Center site covers a city block between Second and Third avenues north, James Robertson Parkway and Gay Street

This should be interesting!

• Like 1

You would think the sheriff would want the jail to be close to the courthouse for logistical reasons.

I'm also starting to get a little wary of the idea of clearing out Metro property downtown to make room for development.

Being that close to the courthouse is unnecessary. Plus renovations would cost a fortune. Better to move it for everyone.

• Like 1

I'm also starting to get a little wary of the idea of clearing out Metro property downtown to make room for development.

Especially if they are going to be giving the property away for next to nothing. Maybe Rich Rebilieng won't be the Finance Manager for the new administration so we won't have to worry his shady hokey pokey deals.

• Like 1

You would think the sheriff would want the jail to be close to the courthouse for logistical reasons.

Brett Withers brought up a good point a while back about the issue of arresting officers having to drive way out to a relatively far-out location, to dump off offenders for arraignment.  The current CJC at least provides a central location for this purpose, just as say.  I don't think Leah Hulan of Grumpy's Bail Bonds, along with the other close-proximity business of sort, would particularly favor such a move.  With the A.A. Birch General Sessions Court being built where it is for the long run (an expensive structure at that) and the Ben West Bldg. for Traffic Violations being centrally located, a relocation of the CJC for possible commercial real estate would seem a bad decision for that location, not to mention the fact that Metro probably would choose to move from its leased space in the nearby (and ugly, but high-lease occupancy rate) Parkway Towers, where it houses some of its IT support services, as well as the "Pubic" Defender's Office on the 20th floor, although these ops may not be directly affected).  I do know that some of the IT services, which also are currently housed in the CJC building, have been rather logistically close to Parkway Towers.  Of course, Metro might have a lease-termination contingency, if such a move would be undertaken after a possibly recent 5- or 10-year renewal.

I just cannot see how well conceived such a plan could be, although again, I'm not in position to make an informed assessment.  Except for the possibly high-rise views being so close to the river west bank, I don't imagine mixed-use tower dwellers being sold on desire to live that close to the courts and related service business, even though there no doubt would be some great sense of security.  But then unless Metro also considers a combined plan to relocate the fire engine Co, located at 2nd and Gay (as well as dealing with the NES sub-station across from it), that could further lessen any appeal to DT living at that spot.  Those sirens "go off" quite frequently throughout the day (and night), not to mention the horns of slow moving trains that sound at 2nd and 3rd along that mainline all times of the day.  Even if those grade crossings did qualify to be converted to FRA quiet-zones, horns still can and would be required to be sounded as an operating rule by trains proceeding eastbound from the siding, after stopping between 4th and 3rd waiting for clear signal or for a reverse move.

As I have not read exactly what Metro might truly have in prospect with the current property, it very well might be retained for Metro use.

-==-

As far as the 2 tower, hotel project that was posted on here last week.....I have heard from two sources and one being the horses mouth that the design was a couple of years old. So don't hold your breath for that concept or design. I will bet it will be something totally different.

• Like 3