Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1528 Arthur Ave, new construction townhomes at the corner of Arthur & Garfield, will go on the MLS in about 2 weeks with a list price of $375,000 for unit A, 1,980 sq. ft.

Unit B will be 369,999 for 1,900 sq ft, slightly smaller unit

Is that considered part of Hope Gardens?  Lot of nice construction over there.

We just went under contract, premarket, over list, on our project at 1609 22nd Ave N in the North Fisk Neighborhood. 1850 Square Feet, 1930 Craftsman. 

2cpyeza.jpg

Got another project ongoing at 1827 Heiman 2/2 1050 square feet. Will list for 150K .... super affordable, considering what everything else costs these days.

• Like 2

Finally some positivity! It's good to hear someone optimistic about the thing instead of lamenting how it doesn't have 28,000 seats.

Personally, I think it looks great. I see the thing every day on my commute to work and it seems to be shaping up rather nicely. Glad to know we have an opening date!

Interesting.

Every single tower that is proposed gets multiple responses regarding the height/stories not being 'enough' yet a few people comment on the capacity of a new music venue and it's a big deal.

Ok.

The article is quite sobering with resonance, for those like me who is an orig. "native" to the BV (before is was HBV), ElizPark, and Early districts, from back in early Eisenhower days.  Still have some "ancient" wares from Bud's, stashed somewhere in my basement, that someone perhaps will claim when I'm deep-sixed.  Problem is that he won't know or even care.

Every bit of statement quoted from all dialog in that article spells out the "truth in aging" for the North.

-==-

Any natives (i've only been here since 03) know if the Frank Vukelich quoted in the article is the same one from this court case?

State vs. Frank Michael Vukelich {sodEmoji.|} Tennessee Administrative ...

Seems funny that he's the one whose quotes focus primarily on crime if he is in fact the Frank Vukelich who was one of the major drug dealers here in the 90s.

Kelly Bonadies is recruiting businesses to some of those buildings ranging from an art gallery and restaurants to a skateboard maker and various creative shops.  Bonadies fears that the spotlight now on Buchanan would attract certain developers whom she likened to vultures."

Awful attitude.  

Kelly Bonadies is recruiting businesses to some of those buildings ranging from an art gallery and restaurants to a skateboard maker and various creative shops.  Bonadies fears that the spotlight now on Buchanan would attract certain developers whom she likened to vultures."

Awful attitude.  

Quite the contrary. I think she has a great attitude. She apparently cares about the neighborhood. Probably doesn't want to see it turned into a neighborhood full of two attached homes on one lot. With the time and money that she put into the area how can anyone say her attitude is awful.

Any natives (i've only been here since 03) know if the Frank Vukelich quoted in the article is the same one from this court case?

Seems funny that he's the one whose quotes focus primarily on crime if he is in fact the Frank Vukelich who was one of the major drug dealers here in the 90s.

I think you are right Mundiejc... This guy does have a negative attitude. However, he has recently purchased properties on Buchanan and a bunch of lots on Cephas and 11th. I've actually spoken to him before. He is waiting a few years for the neighborhood to turn around. Then he will capitalize on the ever increasing prices of the area.

I think HGMIII is paraphrasing Bonadies as saying that not all developers are vultures ─ only certain developers ─ which arguably might seem contradictory, since, according to a generally assumed definition, developers invest in and bring to a more advanced or effective state the potentialities of real estate.  One then could think that no investor therefore is just going to "up" and give something away, since developing is a business.  In alluding to a thread discussion last November along the same lines of staving off predatory development for repurposing  the Cheatham Pl. Public Housing, the positivity and consensus seems to end here.  

Whether or not the claim by Bonadies to be just smoke and mirrors is academic, but I believe that the distinction that she sincerely intended was to convey was to minimize the glut of wholesale acquisition of properties for maximizing profit (flipping, and perhaps "overdeveloping"), and instead to rehab properties to an extent that it engenders a level of multicultural start-ups.  Whether or not this would become achievable, some 55 years ago Buchanan St. had been very much closer to such a state.  With both mercantile and consumer-protection conditions being so much different now, a primary constraint for such start-ups would be affordability and sustainability for those business interests who must rent rates would price them out of more upscale districts like 12South, Douglas Corner, and Melrose.

I agree with some points cited that, while it is Bonadies' interest in working with that community to prevent gentrification from taking place, the Buchanan Street area easily can be considered an extension of Germantown, and with its appealing proximity to downtown, gentrification (including an unintended element of displacement) in effect revitalizes this type of blighted, inner city sector, because buildings deteriorate from extended states of being unused and neglected.  Unless an equilibrium can be established between a limit to upscale outright "renewal", the limited ability (or inability) of some would-be merchants from diverse cultural backgrounds to engage in full participation in such property rehabs due to economic disparity, and the ability of such participants to make reasonably sound business decisions, then typically the district sooner or later becomes economically homogenized, in one direction or another.

Buchanan never realistically can be expected to become the self-sustaining strip of a half century ago ─ I don;t believe that to be the objective.  I also strongly side with the gentleman quoted in the reference as stating the need for a change in attitudes of residents to maintaining the community at large.  But that too is a philosophy of cause and effect.  There are underlying reasons, justified or not, that owners, renters, or property managers (and council members) lack the apparent will to foster communal concern.
-==-

Edited by rookzie

Right RookZie - Kelly's quote says "certain" developers. Not all developers. She's not against development, at least as I understand it, but against cookie cutter, profits before people, displacement type development like we've seen in other neighborhoods within the city. She's been using the hashtag in social media "if you don't care don't come to north nashville" - and as a resident of north nashville, I'm on board with that. If it's possible to have a mixed income neighborhood focused on artists and makers and people of all income levels who live and work together - that's what she's trying to get going here. It's going to be difficult given the money pouring into this city from all over the country, but if we don't try, it certainly isn't a possibility.

• Like 1