Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I don't think this is a big secret any longer, but the Hard Rock is DOA. I do believe something will be built there. The Lyden will not be on 5th as they do not have it under contract any longer. Also on 6 th at the storage facility, there will e a project from the Beach company.

Also the project at 4th and KVB is still unannounced and will likely be taller than 10.

Edited by smeagolsfree
  • Like 1

I now think we should call that area SoKo (south of Korean's) :)

I still don't know why Metro named a bridge & boulevard after veterans of Korean descent. That's a pretty small demographic to call out. 

One might think they wanted to honor those who fought in the Korean War, but if they had, the bridge & boulevard would have been named 'Veterans of the Korean War'.

Edited by Rockatansky

Smeagolsfree: "I don't think this is a big secret any longer, but the Hard Rock Hotel is DOA."

I hadn't heard that.  At one time there was another hotel developer interested in that SW corner of 1st/KVB as well, wasn't there?  Have they stepped-up their interest?  That corner is coded to go as high as 30 stories, correct?  I think it is going to be one of the most crucial and desired lots for the Nashville skyline for the next 50 years…really hoping it becomes something substantial.

• Like 1

I still don't know why Metro named a bridge & boulevard after veterans of Korean descent. That's a pretty small demographic to call out. 

One might think they wanted to honor those who fought in the Korean War, but if they had, the bridge & boulevard would have been named 'Veterans of the Korean War'.

Especially since they changed the name from a good name Gateway bridge and gateway blvd.

Maybe that is why almost all of the new development by private investors is all on the  PC correct "South Korean" side of Korean Blvd. 

• Like 1

New rendering of city lights condo @ citylightsTN.com 

Is it just me, or does it look a lot more...ordinary, now??  I remember being very impressed with the design initially, but now all I'm seeing is a lot of beige and white and blank walls.  Does this thing have any ground level retail to speak of?

• Like 1

Is it just me, or does it look a lot more...ordinary, now??  I remember being very impressed with the design initially, but now all I'm seeing is a lot of beige and white and blank walls.  Does this thing have any ground level retail to speak of?

I hope there's retail for sure, but the aesthetics of this new rendering fit in better with the style of RMH imo.  That said, I've never been a fan of neon for no reason.  

I guess the developer anticipates that future development on the adjacent properties between the alley and Hermitage Ave. will eventually hide his 2-story blank wall.   It's unfortunate to develop in a manner that permanently rules out the possibility of alleyways ever becoming active public spaces, or even just safe for pedestrians to use, especially in a neighborhood with increasing residential density like RMH.

Capture

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 3

It's on the alley side, so I'm not too worried about it....and yes, I would anticipate future development there.

But that's my point.   There are two kinds of alleys - those with a human scale pedestrian focus and those that are only safe for WMI trucks.   This alley is a blank slate and could have gone either way.   

• Like 2

I guess the developer anticipates that future development on the adjacent properties between the alley and Hermitage Ave. will eventually hide his 2-story blank wall.   It's unfortunate to develop in a manner that permanently rules out the possibility of alleyways ever becoming active public spaces, or even just safe for pedestrians to use, especially in a neighborhood with increasing residential density like RMH.

Capture

Great, another cookie-cutter bland and uninspiring design, complete with an ugly concrete wall to rival TPAC on Union Street.

Great, another cookie-cutter bland and uninspiring design, complete with an ugly concrete wall to rival TPAC on Union Street.

Except this isn't Union St or 5th Ave. It's an alley. There's a major difference. I think the design is fine, especially on the Rutledge side. Would I prefer something other than a blank wall along the alley? Sure. But even this isn't as bad as ICON along Magazine St. Or for that matter, pretty much any building with a parking structure fronting any regular street.

But that's my point.   There are two kinds of alleys - those with a human scale pedestrian focus and those that are only safe for WMI trucks.   This alley is a blank slate and could have gone either way.   

I'll be honest....like I said above, I don't prefer this.

However, is it any worse than most any other project is treating an alley or even a side street? While I would love a more street-friendly structure on all sides, why are we holding this particular development to greater scrutiny than what I would consider is the norm? Is this particular alley one that is a real candidate for "street activation"? Even in the heart of downtown, most alleys are n afterthought. 

Which could be a good thing!

I was in Atlanta over the weekend visiting some friends in Cabbagetown. This neighborhood has thoroughly embraced the graffiti and street art of the area and even made a point to showcase it through some clever usage of walls exactly like this. There is a major CSX hub here with enormous blank concrete walls facing a residential area that they have turned into massive street art murals. It was a treat to walk through here and anyone curious would likely enjoy a virtual (street view) walk through here as well.

14409348498_4c04b54ffb_m.jpg   11850325_1468287646827821_1702287795_n.j   leefromep_atlanta_street_art_029.jpg?w=4

I truly meant it: not even being a sea fish. There's good graffiti that's actual art......and then there's vandalism. I meant the good kind.

• Like 1