Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

^ ^ ^ Here is NBJ take on the story regarding the boathouse project on the west riverfront. It is a 13 acre porpery below Rolling Mill Hill off of Hermitage Ave. in a flood plain along the Cumberland (just to the north of the I-40/I-24 inner belt interchange.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/12/partnership-plans-boathouse-on-downtown-riverbank.html

25 minutes ago, markhollin said:

^ ^ ^ Here is NBJ take on the story regarding the boathouse project on the west riverfront. It is a 13 acre porpery below Rolling Mill Hill off of Hermitage Ave. in a flood plain along the Cumberland (just to the north of the I-40/I-24 inner belt interchange.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/morning_call/2015/12/partnership-plans-boathouse-on-downtown-riverbank.html

Thank you.   Post article didn't say where it was.     i love this idea for that spot.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanhog said:

So let me ask you guys who have been out on the Cumberland:  is this river, especially downtown, conducive for canoeing and kayaking?  I've always thought of it as a kind of swift-moving, choppy water, murky river.  Will a lot of people use the Cumberland for recreational activities like that?

I've never really notice it as being choppy, although it does move with relative speed at certain seasons of the year (primarily spring). But much of the time it is rather tranquil, so I think it would be fine for canoeing, kayaking, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

So let me ask you guys who have been out on the Cumberland:  is this river, especially downtown, conducive for canoeing and kayaking?  I've always thought of it as a kind of swift-moving, choppy water, murky river.  Will a lot of people use the Cumberland for recreational activities like that?

No, I would say it is fine, probably 20-30 feet deep in most places. 

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

I've never really notice it as being choppy, although it does move with relative speed at certain seasons of the year (primarily spring). But much of the time it is rather tranquil, so I think it would be fine for canoeing, kayaking, etc.

4 hours ago, nvestnbna said:

No, I would say it is fine, probably 20-30 feet deep in most places. 

2 hours ago, grilled_cheese said:

I have canoed the Cumberland all the way from Lock Two park down to the Shelby Bottoms boat ramp.  It's only choppy when the barges go by but it's not a big deal at all.

These guys all are dead on.  The river does get mad with a lot of spring (and fall monsoon) runoff, so those currents at a high level sometimes can make it a bit "adventurous" for non-motorized craft, with submerged hazzards.  The tugs and barges have been known to frequent the channels (and now and then a dredge lurks out there), but generally if you can deal with the barge wakes, then you'll be OK.   During the spring, I've seen downtown commercial river traffic so heavy (frequent) that the swing-span (drawbridge) remain open, except when a train approaches, and I commonly observed train-barge-train-barge alternate in a manner of an all-way stop intersection during weekdays. -==-

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I'm not a fan of Stix.  I don't like anything about it. Ugh! Looks horrible to me. 

I was and still am cautiously optimistic about Stixx, maybe just because it's not the usual statue or fountain (not that I dislike statues and fountains). My biggest concern is that out-of-towners will inevitably ask, "Hey, what's the deal with all those crazy big sticks in the roundabout?" and, invevitably, most locals won't really have an answer.

Edited by Jamie Hall
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FromParkAveToTN said:

I'm not a fan of Stix.  I don't like anything about it. Ugh! Looks horrible to me.

I'm not a fan either. I think it's overly simplistic and lacking in imagination or aesthetics, and uses the "but it's Native American!" to get away with being sub-par public art. It doesn't inspire anything other than "Why the heck are there a bunch of painted poles in the ground?" And to echo Jamie, no one will have an answer to it.

• Like 2

FedEx and Mike's Ice Cream building on lower Broadway sold for $16 million.  Holy Schniekies!…the prices downtown properties are currently fetching are robust.  

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2015/12/10/fedex-mikes-ice-cream-buildings-sold-16m/77121210/

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2015/12/broadway-building-sale-smashes-record-set-just.html

Edited by markhollin

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I'm waiting until Stix is completed to form a final opinion on the piece. While I have doubts about how the finished work will look in daylight, I'm hopeful that the lighting will make for a dramatic focal point after dark.

The shame of the city when it comes to public art is that our beautiful Red Grooms "Tennessee Foxtrot Carousel" sits in crates in some warehouse somewhere! How many more years must it collect dust before we see it again?

I'm hoping someone gets smart and eventually places it in some of that "green area" at the amphitheater park.

• Like 2

I spoke to the chairperson of Metro Arts Commision a while back and told her we need a lot more smaller pieces and more interactive art. She was receptive and understood. I think there may be a push from Metro for large bold projects, but the smaller ones have much more impact when people can get up close and touch, and interact with the art. 

I have done a lot of traveling to our peer cities over the past five years or so and have see numerous examples of this. Maybe they will see the light in the very near future.

• Like 3

Thanks for sharing these pictures. There looks to be so much potential for that area. I like all of your ideas. Would make very nice urban park areas. I can't wait to come home at the end of the month to do some exploring and picture taking downtown. I'm curious to see how much has changed in a year. 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2015 at 5:35 AM, markhollin said:

As I shared at the Meet-Up last Saturday, I have been scouting this site for about 6 months thinking that it could make a great extension to the Riverfront Park heading east along what we call the the "west bank," but is really the south bank at this juncture.  I had no idea that this was brewing with the Park District at the same time. Cool to see that others have the same vision for it.  Here are some other photos I have taken to give you an idea of the potential for this 12-13 acre plot (about the same size as the south portion of Riverfront Park where the new Amphitheater is sitting).  This is also a piece-of-pie shaped tract.

1) This is looking eastward from the overlook walkway next to Rolling Mill Hill. The Cumberland River is to the far left, and the I-40/24 interchange is at the center/right. My guess is that the site is about 700 feet wide at the far end. Extending from the expressway northward, the triangular plot is about 1,600 feet in length. The gravel parking lot and metal building are Pyles Transport (they own 125 tanker trucks that haul cement, dry ash, and lime).  My guess is they will be bought out and relocated.  They take up about 1/5th of the site. A lot of the trees and underbrush would be cleared out, and landscaping would be put into play.

2) Looking southeastward from Rolling Mill Hill. You can see the Cumberland in the distance, with the large warehouse on the east bank that contains Music City Indoor Kart Racing.  This park could not only contain the boathouses pictured in the renderings at the top of this post, but also has lots of potential for paths, pavilions, gardens, perhaps even a soccer field, and softball diamonds on the flat area where Pyles is currently located. The proposed park is about 400 feet wide in this area.

3) Looking slightly northward from about 70 feet above the park on the Rolling Mill Hills walkway. That is PSC Metals and the oil/storage facility on the other side.  One of these days all of that will be banished and something much more beautiful/useful will finally take their place. The Boathouse Park area in the forefront narrows down to  about 100 feet wide in this area.

4) This is looking northwestward from the heart of the proposed park near where Pyles Transport is currently located.  This is one of several rarely-used internal dirt roads that exist on the site.  That is one of the apartment buildings at Rolling Mill Hills on the 70 foot ledge in the distant center. This was taken through an 8 ft. high chain link fence that keeps people from getting to the shore of the river.  I'm too old to to:  a) risk injury trying to scale it; and b) to want to get in trouble for trespassing.  In my youth I would've gladly done both. 

Riverfront Boathouse Park 4.jpg

5) This would be at the far northwestern tip of the park where it would come to a narrow point near the base of the KVB Bridge. My guess is they would construct some sort of decorative 10 foot fencing to keep people from walking along the railroad tracks--which are used exclusively for the Music City Star running out to Lebanon.  The new park would only be about 15 feet wide at this area. 

6) Looking 70 feet upward to the apartments in Rolling Mill Hill along the Music City Star tracks, and northwestward along the Cumberland shoreline below the cliff. The park would be to the right, and is about 200 feet wide in this section.  You can imagine the fantastic view looking "up river" from the shoreline at the ever-expanding skyline.  I think it could become a new iconic panorama of the city. 

7)  At the far most northwestern tip of the park, just on the other side of the KVB Bridge looking up at the Ascend Amphitheater. A pedestrian bridge could be build from there, over the tracks and down to near the river's edge where a riverwalk could be constructed running the length of the new park.  This could be well-lit at night.  By doing this there would be an entrance at either end, and people could walk, jog, ride bikes, etc. all day and evening (probably close the park at 11 PM and reopen at 6 AM each day). 

8) The I-40/24 intersection overpasses at the far east side of the site.  Am not sure if this would be part of the park or not---but I think it has some cool potential. Could be lit in artsy ways at night. 

Riverfront Boathouse Park 8.jpg

9) More of the area underneath the 1-40/24 overpass. There are around 100 of these pillars. Maybe a skateboard park could be built in here.  Or some climbing areas could be put together.  Certainly some playground equipment, dog park, etc. Perhaps some creative artists could do interesting decorations to the poles.  What other ideas do you have?

Riverfront Boathouse Park 9.jpg

10) The site also has several levels that stair-step down from Hermitage Ave. This is looking from the main driveway at the top of the hill directly to the north with the I-40/24 inner belt in the distance.  The State Dept. of Human Services Vocational Rehab building is just to the left of this shot and sits about 20 feet higher on a ledge.  This flat slab of asphalt is about 300 x 300.  Could certainly serve as a parking area for the park, and a nice stairway could head down. Perhaps on overlook to gaze down into the park could be built here as well.

11) This is looking down onto the second level stair-step from the back parking lot behind the Vocational Rehab Center. It is a triangular shape that at one time looks to have housed 4 large circular tanks for industrial use---probably something to do with the factories that used to be above them a hundred years ago at Rolling Mill.  It is about a 25 foot drop from the parking area at the far right. Perhaps this could be a large dog park or playground.  It is about 200 feet long on each of it's three sides.

12) Looking northeastward from the back of the Vocational Rehab Center, about 70 feet above the proposed park--just to the left of where the circular tanks used to be located. 

So, there you have a bit of a tour of what I believe is going to be a GREAT new addition to the Nashville Park District.  Lots and lots of potential.  Will be interesting to see how it all plays out beyond just the boathouse elements.  Would be curious as to your thoughts and ideas.  : )

Thanks Mark, but you mustered some fortitude to shoot pix  in those areas.  Much of that brush includes former homeless camps easily visible from the train, and near the pilings of the Silliman Evans bridge of I-24.  I always envisioned some of that land as likely disposal grounds of human corpses, as much of it appears somewhat not readily accessible, even by foot.  I know that I myself never would venture down in there. -==-

• Like 2