Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Cool, but I was looking forward to an announcement of some sort of development.

Did that really require a mayoral press conference and announcement?

Exactly.  I know some people in the Cumberland River Compact, so I have known about this for a little while, but didn't think that it was such a big deal.  I mean it's cool that The Bridge Building will have a tenant other than Metro Parks and the event management company that handles the even space bookings.  But it must be a slow news day to stop the presses for this announcement.

I don't think you're a buzzkiil p2. I think we all realize that it's mostly pipe dreams. But the CSX thing is definitely a issue that would arise in the event of putting up a $15m bridge over their tracks. Same with continuing Division St towards 2nd Ave. 

The difference between the two bridge ideas is that the benefits of connecting Division Street to the 2nd/Lafayette area as a Complete Street are more apparent for more people (for bikes and cars in addition to pedestrians) than a pedestrian-only bridge connecting the back of Cummins Station to the Gulch.  Not only would the Division Street connector rapidly expand property redevelopment in that area along Ash Street/Ewing, etc, but it could effectively expand the use of the existing 2nd/4th exit off of I-40 as an additional exit/entrance to serve the emerging 8th Ave South area as well as the lower Gulch.  For these reasons, I could see eminent domain gaining some traction with the Division Street Connector as the next logical step after the opening of KVB in reconfiguring the area between Downtown and the South Loop.

Wow! $15,000 for a pedestrian/bicycle bridge over the tracks?

The Greenways bridge over the Cumberland was only $8,500,000 and I do not think the span will be as wide...

(I say 'only' in comparison to the $15,000,000 figure)

Edited by Guest

I'm all for financial responsibility too, but come on brother!  You're really getting riled up over a $15 million pedestrian bridge?  Why do some people despise so much the concept of citizens of a city contributing financially to the betterment of that city?  Maybe it's a really good quality bridge.  Would it really be such a bad thing if Nashville didn't half ass a project for ONCE?  Should we build it out of popsicle sticks instead so each citizen saves a couple cents? 

I don't see why we can't have both bridges built, at least in time. I wouldn't suggest necessarily starting both projects RIGHT NOW...but what's the problem with having that in the master plan?

I agree that the car bridge continuing Division St would have a more immediate impact and would be easier to justify in terms of cost/benefit, but that doesn't necessarily mean that a pedestrian bridge would not be beneficial to the area it serves.

Yes, a pedestrian bridge to the Gulch from the roundabout would likely only save about 500-600 feet of walking by my calculations (assuming you are going downtown). To me it's more about creating a more direct connection between the emerging areas of the Gulch and SoBro. So maybe put the idea on the back burner for a little while, but it would be a shame if the area to the immediate west of the roundabout develops and it becomes too late to add in the bridge at a later time.

So yes, in terms of distance saved, it would not be huge. But the same could be said for the other bridge project. While Division and Ash do not currently connect, it's not a huge workaround to get from the end of one to the other. In fact, it saves less than 400 feet of driving (maybe 10-15 seconds of driving). The only difference being that you have to directly cross the railroad rather than pass over it. But it's not just about the speed of cutting across the very bottom of SoBro...it's about creating a new cross avenue that psychologically connects Rutledge Hill, SoBro, and The Gulch.

Both projects have merit, IMO. Maybe not for RIGHT NOW, but I think a lot can be said for trying to increase the connections between our neighborhoods and districts in town. It's about creating more thoroughfares and fewer detours, for both cars and pedestrians.

I'm fine with putting it on the back burner. But I don't think we should just dismiss it.

The difference between the two bridge ideas is that the benefits of connecting Division Street to the 2nd/Lafayette area as a Complete Street are more apparent for more people (for bikes and cars in addition to pedestrians) than a pedestrian-only bridge connecting the back of Cummins Station to the Gulch.  Not only would the Division Street connector rapidly expand property redevelopment in that area along Ash Street/Ewing, etc, but it could effectively expand the use of the existing 2nd/4th exit off of I-40 as an additional exit/entrance to serve the emerging 8th Ave South area as well as the lower Gulch.  For these reasons, I could see eminent domain gaining some traction with the Division Street Connector as the next logical step after the opening of KVB in reconfiguring the area between Downtown and the South Loop.

Agree completely. Moving forward with the Division street connector would encourage and accelerate the redevelopment of the 2nd/Lafayette area, and would help tie the Gulch/Rutledge/Rolling Mill Hill areas together which will further add value. I think some work should be done around the 2nd/4th exit off of I-40(pretty run down) as the Division connector/growth of Sobro, Rutledge/Rolling Mill Hill will all increase this exit's usage in the years to come. Beautify it and give it a taste of Nashville as you come off the interstate and enter downtown...

Why build a bridge for $15M(or whatever) when you can build it for $8.5M (or whatever)? It does not make any sense to me. If it costs more public funds than can be justified have Marketstreet and other beneficiaries kick-in the balance.  There are finite resources so while I am all for good architecture, spending the monies of the people on vanity projects smacks of less-than-good stewardship.  One of the biggest reasons this city is doing so well is our relatively low tax burden. I for one would like it to remain low. 

I'm all for financial responsibility too, but come on brother!  You're really getting riled up over a $15 million pedestrian bridge?  Why do some people despise so much the concept of citizens of a city contributing financially to the betterment of that city?  Maybe it's a really good quality bridge.  Would it really be such a bad thing if Nashville didn't half ass a project for ONCE?  Should we build it out of popsicle sticks instead so each citizen saves a couple cents? 

Where are you guys reading about the Division Street connector? I must have missed that release.

Agree completely. Moving forward with the Division street connector would encourage and accelerate the redevelopment of the 2nd/Lafayette area, and would help tie the Gulch/Rutledge/Rolling Mill Hill areas together which will further add value. I think some work should be done around the 2nd/4th exit off of I-40(pretty run down) as the Division connector/growth of Sobro, Rutledge/Rolling Mill Hill will all increase this exit's usage in the years to come. Beautify it and give it a taste of Nashville as you come off the interstate and enter downtown...

Why build a bridge for $15M(or whatever) when you can build it for $8.5M (or whatever)? It does not make any sense to me. If it costs more public funds than can be justified have Marketstreet and other beneficiaries kick-in the balance. 

I just threw that number out there. i would imagine the cost would have to include some higher end work given that it's downtown and not the burbs, as well as the fact that CSX would have to be involved.

Just speculation.

I just threw that number out there. i would imagine the cost would have to include some higher end work given that it's downtown and not the burbs, as well as the fact that CSX would have to be involved.

Just speculation.

CSX's only involvement should be "how high do you want the bridge to be?" If the response is "we don't want a bridge there," then we should tell them "21 feet it is!"