Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, PHofKS said:

I was hoping they would do this all the way around the building. I guess not.

I wish they would require the 'tall skinny' duplexes being built everywhere to put brick or stone at least on the front(s) facing the streets.

I’d say that less than 20% of new builds features Brick or Stone, too expensive.

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Lifestyle Communities Germantown (5 buildings of 6 and 4 stories, 450 units, retail, restaurants) update.

The faux brickwork is looking good.

LC Germantown 2, Sept 29, 2017.jpg

I went by this a few weeks ago and had to stand very close to it to confirm what was going on with the brick.     Right, it's stenciled on.   I've never seen that done before, but from a distance it looks very convincing.        I do wish it were actual brick, though.     Test of time and all that.    

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

Criminal Justice Center (6 stories, $113 million) update. Starting on third floor on north end of the project.  Several levels of parking garage underneath south section.

Looking north from intersection of James Robertson Parkway and 3rd Ave. North:

Criminal Justice Center Oct 15, 2017 1.jpg

Looking NW from intersection of James Robertson Parkway and 2nd Ave. North:

Criminal Justice Center Oct 15, 2017 2.jpg

Looking SE from intersection of 3rd Ave. North and Gay St:

Criminal Justice Center Oct 15, 2017 3.jpg

• Like 3

Harry O's (5 stories, restaurant/bar) update.

The gray steel superstructure in the upper left is for the Moxy Hotel project which butts-up against Harry O's. Looking SW from intersection of Broadway and 2nd Ave:

Harry O's, Oct 15, 2017 1.jpg

The ground floor of Harry O's.  Looking south from intersection of Broadway and 3rd Ave. South:

Harry O's, Oct 15, 2017 2.jpg

Looking south from Broadway:

Harry O's, Oct 15, 2017 3.jpg

Looking SW fromBroadway:

Harry O's, Oct 15, 2017 4.jpg

• Like 3

On 10/16/2017 at 9:25 PM, BnaBreaker said:

If they don't like noise, then that's kind of on them for booking a hotel room right smack in the middle of a notorious party town.  Let's be honest.  SoBro is barely a separate neighborhood from downtown.  It's really just a separate neighborhood of it's own in name only.  I mean, if we were talking The Nations or something, then I could understand the gripe I suppose, but this is literally three blocks from Broadway and across the street from the Country Music Hall of Fame.  Anybody staying down there expecting serene tranquility is... let's be nice and just say ill-informed.

But again, many rooftops in cities not named Nashville are more low-key lounge environments that are more for socializing and conversation than rowdy parties, and given the fact that the folks behind this establishment are saying it is to be a "high end type of business" featuring a piano lounge on the second floor, perhaps that is more the type of atmosphere we can expect from this particular roof top.  

With the office towers that are going up and the convention center, it's pretty much just an extension of downtown these days (no separation). 

On 10/18/2017 at 10:58 AM, wreynol4 said:

Good article on how there is a lack of design around the country right now for many new "luxury" apartment/condo buildings. I could not agree more.

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/10/16/luxury-condos-poor-architecture-mental-health 

Everything's kind of screwed up in general with the real estate market right now. It's awesome for those who already own property outright, but it sucks for everyone else. 

So many folks and places either left the industry or folded during the Great Recession (developers, skilled tradesmen, designers, etc.) that now, with the economy finally normalizing, we're dealing with severe shortages of housing and commercial/industry space in many fast-growing cities or stuff going up that's poorly designed. 

And we're not even going to go into how hard it is to get financing for any type of project these days. Bank of the Ozarks is pretty much the only place approving construction loans at this point. 

Edited by urbanplanet17
  • Like 1

The railroad crossing at Fogg St is blocked off and the road next to the tracks appears to be torn up.  Several trains have passed through today without blowing their whistle.  Have the city and CSX come to an agreement to permanently close this crossing now that the bridge is open?  If so, life will be a bit more peaceful for those of us living near this crossing!

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

The railroad crossing at Fogg St is blocked off and the road next to the tracks appears to be torn up.  Several trains have passed through today without blowing their whistle.  Have the city and CSX come to an agreement to permanently close this crossing now that the bridge is open?  If so, life will be a bit more peaceful for those of us living near this crossing!

They were talking about it a while back, I hadn't realized they were doing it that quickly. 

• Like 2

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 10:51 AM, urbanplanet17 said:

With respect to business travelers who might not enjoy a ton of noise in a downtown area, they can always stay at a hotel in the suburbs or by the airport. 

Not an option for convention goers. They want to be or have to be close to the convention.

• Like 3

We should probably just enact a 24/7 no honking/siren/loud talking/music/construction noise ordinance downtown, and maybe even cover the streets with a soft material that would absorb sound, so as not to potentially wake anyone, mid-afternoon nappers included.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

We should probably just enact a 24/7 no honking/siren/loud talking/music/construction noise ordinance downtown, and maybe even cover the streets with a soft material that would absorb sound, so as not to potentially wake anyone, mid-afternoon nappers included.  

A reasonable noise ordinance would work. Most cities have them, they allow the party scene to reasonably coincide with people that actually need to sleep/work/live without Brad Paisley blaring at 11PM on Tuesday night. The honkey tonks work for tourism, but SoBro hasn't been developed around honkey tonks. It was developed around the MCC, hotel rooms via the MCC and multi-family residential. 

• Like 1

I think the Blue Parrot would be  fine without the rooftop bar. I'm not saying no bar, just no rooftop venue. One of the issues they are facing is that they have to increase the width of the sidewalk and basically take two feet off the lot to bring the SW's to the 8' width required. 

They could jut keep the building and bill it as the smallest bar in Tennessee, like the bar in Austin that is billed as the smallest bar in the US. Quirky works!

• Like 1