Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

3rd Ave. South Storage update.  Work on retaining wall facing Lafayette St.  Easy to see why it would be problematic to have an intersection with Lindsley Ave. here due to incline challenges and traffic flow issues with too many staggered intersections in a short window. 

Looking east from intersection of 4th Ave. South and Lafayette:

3rd Ave South Storage, Oct 14, 2017.jpg

• Like 2

I see your point. 

What there needs to be is more connections to South Nashville from Downtown. Currently it's 4th Ave S. leaving and 2nd Ave S. going into downtown. There is 6th Ave S. but that's a very small road. 

I wonder if there has been any thought put into that. The interstate really did a number on connections to downtown. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I see your point. 

What there needs to be is more connections to South Nashville from Downtown. Currently it's 4th Ave S. leaving and 2nd Ave S. going into downtown. There is 6th Ave S. but that's a very small road. 

I wonder if there has been any thought put into that. The interstate really did a number on connections to downtown. 

Yes it did.  I don't think I've ever been to another city with so few streets directly into downtown.   Even from the west there are few streets that take you directly into downtown.  I can understand the limitations from the east because of the river.  But, the irony is there's more access from the east than the south.   From the north, south, and west the interstate took its toll on the grid.  

20 minutes ago, nashwatcher said:

Hopefully they will improve this before it's too late...and what could be done to improve the traffic flow in this area?

I will forever and always beat the drum of making 4th and 2nd, two way streets. 

Reconnecting a street or two on Lindsley back under the intestate would be good. 

6th will start get better as that area fills back in. 

And you could reconnect Mulberry to 4th if it was two ways probably?

Having something across the river on the West of Shelby Bottoms and East of the interstate crossing wouldn't hurt either. It would easy up congestion on KVB and the interstate. 

Just some wishful thinking of a more connected city with not so much reliance on the interstate. 

Edited by PaulChinetti
can't spell good
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

I've always marveled at the monstrosity that is 4th, Lafayette, 2nd, 40 and the two side feeder roads. :tw_astonished:

That area is a disaster. Add to the terrible roads the fact that the pedestrians crossing 4th on Lafayette NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO TRAFFIC LIGHTS. I’ve almost hit like 20 people there, and gotten into an untold amount of shouting matches with people who don’t look before crossing there. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Pdt2f said:

That area is a disaster. Add to the terrible roads the fact that the pedestrians crossing 4th on Lafayette NEVER PAY ATTENTION TO TRAFFIC LIGHTS. I’ve almost hit like 20 people there, and gotten into an untold amount of shouting matches with people who don’t look before crossing there. 

Agree. And the mass transit stop is going to drop lots of people off right here. People will then get in Uber/self-driving/whatever vehicles and will need to navigate the roadways in this area for decades to come. They need to improve the grid here sooner rather than after it's too late

• Like 2

Netherlands-based Philips’ has signed a 17-month lease at Nashville City Center that will give the global health technology company time to find a permanent location here for its Global Business Services center. They will eventually employ over 800.

On Nov. 1, Philips expects to move into 45,000 square feet of space at the building at 511 Union St. with plans to grow to 64,000 square feet during the first half of next year. That's part of the space left vacant after Nashville-based design and consulting firm Gresham Smith and Partners recently moved its headquarters to the new 222 mixed-use building in the area south of Broadway.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/26/new-nashville-employer-bringing-800-jobs-finds-temporary-home-plans-career-fair/803779001/

• Like 3

The Gossett (5 stories, 376 units, retail/restaurant) update.

Looking west from intersection of Gundy St. and 12th Ave. North:

Gossett, Oct 15, 2017 1.jpg

The street activation for retail, looking south along 12th Ave. North, just south of the Church Street Viaduct:

Gossett, Oct 15, 2017 2.jpg

Looking north into restaurant space at corner of 12th and Gundy:

Gossett, Oct 15, 2017 3.jpg

Looking west into restaurant space at corner of 12th and Gundy: 

Gossett, Oct 15, 2017 4.jpg

• Like 2

Looks like a Merle Haggard Museum will be the next project for Bill Miller (Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline Museums, Nudies Honkey Tonk).  Will most likely be at 121 Third Ave. S., which currently houses Mr. Hat’s Boot Co.  Miller bought that space  a year ago.  

Also, a speakeasy bar has been mentioned as a possibility for the basement of the Cash Museum building.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/30/johnny-cash-museum-owner-merle-haggards-family-partner-nashville-venture/811832001/

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Looks like a Merle Haggard Museum will be the next project for Bill Miller (Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline Museums, Nudies Honkey Tonk).  Will most likely be at 121 Third Ave. S., which currently houses Mr. Hat’s Boot Co.  Miller bought that space  a year ago.  

Also, a speakeasy bar has been mentioned as a possibility for the basement of the Cash Museum building.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/money/real-estate/2017/10/30/johnny-cash-museum-owner-merle-haggards-family-partner-nashville-venture/811832001/

I love Merle, but, is he really at the same level as Cash/Cline to deserve his one Museum?
Im sure Miller is smarter than I am, and wouldnt open it if he didnt feel it would make money.

3 hours ago, bhibbs said:

I love Merle, but, is he really at the same level as Cash/Cline to deserve his one Museum?
Im sure Miller is smarter than I am, and wouldnt open it if he didnt feel it would make money.

Yes he is...to the "country" crowd.  He may not have as much crossover appeal...but he's definitely considered near the top.  I would put Hank, George, Merle, Waylon, Johnny, Loretta, Patsy, Willie and Tammy all in the same grouping.  I would also put Kris Kristofferson in there...but he's kinda a different animal than the aforementioned.  He's a little more "Renaissance."

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Yes he is...to the "country" crowd.  He may not have as much crossover appeal...but he's definitely considered near the top.  I would put Hank, George, Merle, Waylon, Johnny, Loretta, Patsy, Willie and Tammy all in the same grouping.  I would also put Kris Kristofferson in there...but he's kinda a different animal than the aforementioned.  He's a little more "Renaissance."

Im all for people having museums (hell, I grew up walking distance to the old Jim Reeves museum). Hopefully it does well. 

• Like 1