Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I know this web site loves tall buildings and so do I but we do not have to have great heights everywhere.  It could be nice to have a building 6 floors similar in scale as well not towering over the schermerhorn.  there are plenty of sites that we can have high rises on

Up to this point in time the historic commission has made the point  to keep the boundry of the historic district in tack and similar in scale as historic district buildings.  I just believe in consistency. if the historic commission wants to allow infills off broadway to be large high rises they should allow it on all infills off broadway not just one owner.  However if we are going to have a historic district I do think it is nice to have one area of downtown with no high rises and historic buildings and all new infill of similar scale approved by historic commission.  Many of the new rises are just ugly and would have huge negative impact on historic district.  All it takes is one ugly tall building to mess up the character of the historic district.  Example the height limitations on a proposed 1st ave s next to shelby street bridge would be stepped in shape at 95 feet  150 feet and 220 feet not so great a shape.  I do not have much confidence in the architects making a good looking building .  you are dreaming if you think it will be good looking.  they will have enough trouble making the program work with all the setbacks, structure, parking, seating requirements, service, and budget.niot a pretty site

Edited by madisonman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, madisonman said:

I know this web site loves tall buildings and so do I but we do not have to have great heights everywhere.  It could be nice to have a building 6 floors similar in scale as well not towering over the schermerhorn.  there are plenty of sites that we can have high rises on

Up to this point in time the historic commission has made the point  to keep the boundry of the historic district in tack and similar in scale as historic district buildings.  I just believe in consistency. if the historic commission wants to allow infills off broadway to be large high rises they should allow it on all infills off broadway not just one owner.  However if we are going to have a historic district I do think it is nice to have one area of downtown with no high rises and historic buildings and all new infill of similar scale approved by historic commission.  Many of the new rises are just ugly and would have huge negative impact on historic district.  All it takes is one ugly tall building to mess up the character of the historic district.  Example the height limitations on a proposed 1st ave s next to shelby street bridge would be stepped in shape at 95 feet  150 feet and 220 feet not so great a shape.  I do not have much confidence in the architects making a good looking building .  you are dreaming if you think it will be good looking.  they will have enough trouble making the program work with all the setbacks, structure, parking, seating requirements, service, and budget.niot a pretty site

So Nashville should miss out on the House of Blues because of the buildings below. Correct?

Pinnacle, Omni, Sobro, Bridgestone, Skyhouse, HCA, 505, 222, JW Marriott, Tri-brand Marriott, Cambria, Fifth and Broad, Embassy Suites, Curio,  KVB One, Second and Demonbreum, Drury, Joseph.

Edited by Ingram
  • Like 1

Sobro Hotel Questions

Has the Hyatt House just to the east of Sixth South (hard to say) at NW corner of 5th and Lea broken ground? 

And what is NBJ referring to here... https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2017/11/02/upscalehyatt-hotel-targeted-for-sobro.html  Upscale Hyatt in SoBro. Something else besides Hyatt House?  The latter has already been announced. The NBJ article (behind paywall) seems like a new announcement.  Found an answer to this one. It's just another proposal by Hayes/Hines for the site of The Listening Room. No rendering in the Nashville Post story, but they say approximately 20 stories and 250 rooms. They built the zebra building across the street. Doesn't sound like a solid proposal yet.   http://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20981404/hotel-tower-eyed-for-sobro-site

And any news on the proposed Hilton-Tapestry (Printing House) hotel at SW corner of 3rd and Peabody? 

Edited by MLBrumby

^ ^ ^ Demo fencing is up around the Sixth South property. A recent story said it would break ground soon.

Fencing also up around the Hyatt House SoBro site.  Article last week said it would break ground in early 2018.

Things have been quiet regarding the Hilton Tapestry (Printing House).  I know they were trying to see if they could get approval to potentially go up another couple of stories.

• Like 2

This may be kind of random but I am seriously hoping that the 2nd avenue project (twin tower hotel proposed by Michigan investors) comes to fruition. I remember getting excited about that project when it was announced two years ago and still nothing has broke ground or even really been revealed (such as the hotel brand etc..). This makes me worried as this is one of the projects I want to be built the most in Nashville, I wanted it even more than the Buckingham Gulch project. I don't know if no news means a bad sign or not, but still I hope this pulls through.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, titanhog said:

Pretty sure they have a court date early in 2018 to decide who wins the decision on the sale / no sale of the sliver of land next to the pedestrian bridge.   That's the main holdup.

That's what I remember hearing too.  I also remember hearing that they already have designed a version of the project that does not include that sliver of land, which leads me to believe that they plan on going forward with this project whether they win the court case or not, but not until the court case wraps up.

• Like 4

From today's Tennessean:

Several public hearings on development projects are also planned before the Metro Council on Tuesday night. Nashville-based Core Development, for instance, is pursuing a rezoning to build up to 190 residential units on 10 acres on East Trinity Lane.

The infill developer is seeking specific plan zoning for the targeted site at the southeast corner of East Trinity Lane and Edwin Street, which it bought more than two years ago.

Meanwhile, a public hearing will be held on Aerial Development Group's request for a zoning change from an industrial to a specific plan to allow 166 residences and 23,700 square feet of commercial space on 5.94 acres at 905 Cherokee Ave. The property, which Aerial has under contract, is one block from Gallatin Pike and East Trinity Lane.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

More cool news regarding the rebirth of Printers Alley from today's Tennessean:

Downtown's Hotel Indigo plans to add an entrance on Printers Alley to improve access for patrons to The District Bar & Kitchen restaurant and live music venue inside.

We’re looking to activate our portion of Printers Alley."

Hotel Indigo's renovations, along with conversion of the former Wells Fargo Plaza office building into The Bobby boutique hotel, is expected to activate the north end of the alley. That would complement changes on the south end including new restaurants and other entertainment venues planned as part of the 169-room Dream Nashville hotel project.

Exactly what we hoped would happen.     The activity around the Noelle, Dream and Bobby developments is spurring new Printer's Alley development by adjacent property owners.   

Banker's Alley, you're next !   

• Like 4

On 10/18/2017 at 11:27 AM, PaulChinetti said:

Hmm, I've always wondered why that road doesn't connect. 

But 2nd is one way there and you'd have to turn into oncoming traffic and they would have to back the stop light up there, so you could turn right and then left onto Mulberry, if I'm reading you correctly?

Hope this clarifies what I envisioned. 

Division St Layout Comments.pdf

Edited by nvestnbna