Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

It's my understanding that the fault is in the actual construction and not design of the bridge. But the investigation will show what happened.

Building a fast-track bridge itself should not be a problem. Lots of elements can (and do) get built offisite and then brought in on many projects. I live near a park where the bridges were all built off-site then trucked in and erected to their footings. I estimate they are about the same length as the bridge that collapsed. It looks to me like those in Miami were built with inferior materials or not allowed to cure properly. Someone phoned in a few days ago that cracks had formed in many places on the bridge. 

4 hours ago, markhollin said:

More info on the purchase and expansion 305-311 Broadway/105-111 3rd Ave. South.

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/03/20/10m-gainin-21-months-lower-broad-building-fetches.html

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 7.43.30 AM.png

This is better than I was expecting.  When I first saw the article about expansion, I feared a Trail West-style "renovation" that completely replaced the historic buildings.   

• Like 1

22 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

Its comical that this is a historic district, but the Metro Historic keeps letting them add floors to the buildings. At what point will the have a building collapse due to structural overcapacity.

Not much historic about the buildings other than some of the facades. 

Are you saying it's comical that this is a historic district for the simple fact that it's a historic district, or comical due to the lack of strict guidelines that would prevent additions? I'm not being difficult, I just want to follow your post as you meant.

As far as building collapses, there's probably additional structure that's added for some. Most of these historic buildings were over engineered anyways when originally constructed.

The purpose of most historic districts and the office that enforces the historic design guidelines (and the commission that approved non-administrative requests) is to usher appropriate modifications and designs to historic structures, not deny them outright (occasionally there is a request that is denied, but that's not to say that with modifications to the design it wouldn't be approved). I agree that Lower Broadway (or w/e the local district's name is) has gone a bit overboard, but not due to the additions, the signage is what annoys me.

The addition shown above isn't bad in it's form and massing - it's the window opening/door opening proportions that don't relate to the historic structure that make no sense. 

6 hours ago, Buildtall said:

Speaking of signage, I’d love to see the old neon signs of past businesses  restored and used as artwork in a park or somewhere people could see them lite up at night. I remember seeing some in Las Vegas in the median of Las Vegas strip lite and used this way.  I’m not much of a history buff but saving the old signs of closed bars, stores, etc... downtown  would be another way to tell a little history. 

Like the Tennessee Theater (or whatever it was called).  

large.jpg?1314570960

tn-theater01.jpg

Edited by titanhog
  • Like 3

I think the fact that Metro Historic is letting different entities add rooftop disasters to all of the building. There is really not much left of many of the building downtown as far as the original appearance. Don't get me wrong, I don't oppose change, but as a city with a brand, we have lost our way. I for one do not like all the rooftop bars on every building. It just looks bad having drunks on all the rooftops. It just seems we are in completion with NOLA to become the new party city of the US 

Metro Historic has guild lines they go by, sure, but they keep changing over the years. What is happening now would probably not have been allowed a few years ago.

When the Hyatt was proposed where the old Trail West building was, they were concerned with the height and design of the building. They eventually approved it, but it was never built. However Metro Historic and the property owners oppose a freaking Walgreens because it would take away from the historic character. Oh good gosh give me a break. Again Hypocrisy at its worst. Go to Canal street in NOLA and there is a Walgreens on either side of canal street across the street from one another. Canal Street is just as important as parts of the FQ.

NOLA has done the job right as far as keeping the French Quarter in tact and Nashville could have taken some ideas form there but failed to do so.

When they tore down the Trail West, the owners did it in the middle of the night. I don't even remember if they had the permits, but if someone tears down a building with out a permit, the only penalty is a permit fee three times the value of the permit.

Metro just recently changed the guide lines again for this area, and will probably change it again in the next ten years. Metro Historic does not stick to their guns and always bows to business pressure, from many of these out of town investors.

As far as engineering goes for the rooftops party venues, I am sure they take a lot of steps, but things get missed and even with the best engineering, there are fails. Point in case the recent collapse of the pedestrian bridge in Florida. I'm just saying don't be surprised when one of the owner allows more people than is allowed on  a rooftop and there is an issue.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

When the Hyatt was proposed where the old Trail West building was, they were concerned with the height and design of the building. They eventually approved it, but it was never built. However Metro Historic and the property owners oppose a freaking Walgreens because it would take away from the historic character. Oh good gosh give me a break. Again Hypocrisy at its worst. Go to Canal street in NOLA and there is a Walgreens on either side of canal street across the street from one another. Canal Street is just as important as parts of the FQ.

That didn't happen.    The Historical Commission didn't oppose the Walgreens going in Trail West.    The Commission has no say in what historic buildings are used for, just what physical modifications can be made to them and in any event, the question never got to them.      I know it's been a few years, but to refresh, it was Butch Spyridon and the Nashville Convention and Visitors Corp that opposed Walgreens being located on Lower Broad and councilperson Gilmore introduced legislation that would require all Lower Broad businesses to be at least 75% "country themed".     Walgreens Corp. said life is too short to fool with backwards thinking local government and they pulled out.     

The irony is that Council and Metro codes ended up cutting a deal with the eventual Trail West property owners (Steve Smith and Al Ross) to allow them to tear down Trail West in exchange for the owners dropping their opposition to that block being brought back into the historic overlay.  

My bad I should have said the hysterical folks.

So many people are so obsessed with what should  or should not happen in these buildings. Nimbyism either way. Butch is a good man, but was totally wrong on that one. 

Getting so old I cant even remember all of the players any longer. 

On 2/16/2018 at 7:06 AM, markhollin said:

From Nashville Post:  Ground Resource Drilling were seen on the site home to Yazoo Brewing Co. at NE corner of Division St. and Overton St.  Yazoo owner Linus Hall is attempting to sell the property.

With Yazoo's announced move to Madison, is there word about who has the contract on their Gulch property?

• Like 1

That is probably the Eakin Partners office building that is part of the Rolling Mill Hill development. Going to be 9 stories and they have to start on this sooner rather than later and with or without a tenant per their agreement with MDHA. 

There will also be a 25 or 26 story condo building on the east side of the energy transfer plant as part of the redevelopment but it will not be for a couple of more years.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

That is probably the Eakin Partners office building that is part of the Rolling Mill Hill development. Going to be 9 stories and they have to start on this sooner rather than later and with or without a tenant per their agreement with MDHA. 

There will also be a 25 or 26 story condo building on the east side of the energy transfer plant as part of the redevelopment but it will not be for a couple of more years.

Thanks for the update! I have seen the renders and the updated design of the taller tower. Some people may not like the new, taller tower on that corner because it will take away from the view of the terrahouse/cityview apartments at the top of the walking path. Perks of living in a growing city haha

25 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Technically this is my second post, but I just recently relocated to Nashville from Boston and am so happy to find a forum for developments here in the city!

I noticed construction barriers on parking lot site just west of Peabody St, adjacent to the Trolley Barns. Does anyone know of the project plans for this site, and if so provide a link for project info??

Welcome to Nashville and this board! 

• Like 3