Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, nashville_bound said:

Here is the thing.....the mods and lefties  on the board always at this point tend to point the fingers at Dale for bringing ‘politics’ into the discussion, but multiple posters have referenced ‘climate change’ without any mod comment. Now, I think we are all adults and are capable of having the discussion, but this is normally where the board mods question the intent of .....  ‘insert poster with non-progressive views’ and redirect to the coffee house...

my point is he is just responding to an already political assertion.

In my time on this board I have noticed this as well. I honestly don’t think many people on this board (from both sides of the political aisle) realize when they’re making claims of a political (or at least controversial) nature. Hell, I’m probably guilty of it myself. 

In the spirit of rail travel and the holiday weekend, I often have to drive to Little Rock and back (such as tomorrow) to see in laws. It’s 5.5 hours. Air travel doesn’t make sense as it’s not direct and the trip takes as long or longer than driving. But it’s frustrating enough that I would pay a premium (especially now with a kid) to be able to sit at a table, on a train and have a cold beverage while still being able to carry a decent amount of luggage. 

Obviously, if I were traveling to the west coast, or New England, air travel would be far superior. But shouldn’t our rail travel goals be these “short distance” routes. Not just our nearby neighbors like Memphis, Chattanooga, and even Atlanta. But even the “within range” cities like Little Rock, Louisville, Charlotte, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Mobile. 

But, it seems with designing a rail route, it’s always the same problem. The same reason California is having trouble implementing its long-approved high speed rail. The say “we are building L.A. to S.F. in only 2 hours”. Then every Tom, Dick and Harry podunk town along the route says “stop in my town, or you can’t pass through”. Lawsuits follow.  The answer should be an emphatic “NO”. We may build a whistle-stop in Clarksville, but sorry Ashland City, you’re out of the loop. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Sure.   Then there is the fact that "climate change" is only seen as a "political" topic to those who subscribe to the politicians who are bought and sold by the fossil fuel industry and the narratives they financially benefit from putting out into the ether.  Other folks, such as myself, simply trust scientists who have trained in the topic at hand when they agree on scientific matters.  In other words, if you don't trust your heart surgeon to perform heart surgery then fine.  But just because I prefer to defer to professionals in their given field instead doesn't mean the disagreement is  "political" in nature.  It just means that some people trust professionals and other people don't, for no particular reason.  I would ask Dale, are those who believe in the Theory of Relativity nothing more than a "cult" as well? 

Politicians could have handled it better.  People like Al Gore did a huge disservice by using overhyped scare tactics.  And...the "climate change money grab" by alternative energy companies, politicians, governments, etc can easily be seen through.  "Give us your money and we'll cure climate change" is not the answer.  Thing is...it doesn't matter what people believe as long as there are people out there like Al Gore who come across as distrustful, greedy loons.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BnaBreaker said:

Sure.   Then there is the fact that "climate change" is only seen as a "political" topic to those who subscribe to the politicians who are bought and sold by the fossil fuel industry and the narratives they financially benefit from putting out into the ether.  Other folks, such as myself, simply trust scientists who have trained in the topic at hand when they agree on scientific matters.  In other words, if you don't trust your heart surgeon to perform heart surgery then fine.  But just because I prefer to defer to professionals in their given field instead doesn't mean the disagreement is  "political" in nature.  It just means that some people trust professionals and other people don't, for no particular reason.  I would ask Dale, are those who believe in the Theory of Relativity nothing more than a "cult" as well? 

Scientists got us into this mess and by golly they’re the only ones I’ll trust to get us out!!!

Lol I have issues with the left’s fawning trust of possibly the most ideologically-driven segment of the population - university professors - whose funding, by the way, is almost always provided by ecological foundations who would drop funding in a heartbeat if a scientist found the “wrong” conclusions (similar to the funding situation with gender and LBGT studies). And like others have said it’s kind of hard to take the claims seriously when every time some writer or scientist makes a chest-grasping claim about an environmental disaster it doesn’t come true. That being said, I don’t really see it as a big issue in my life so I would gladly give in to a bunch of environmental demands if it meant the left compromising other issues. In a dream world, though. 

35 minutes ago, UTgrad09 said:

Back to the Gulch...now that there is more activity along the Division St portion, are there or should there be plans to enhance the streetscape from the new bridge to 12th? Maybe even on to the roundabout? 

Someone posted earlier about putting the traffic signals in sync and improving their timing to handle the ebbs/flows of traffic. I agree that is a dire need for Nashville too. It is my hope that an effort to improve this would include putting utilities underground. Obviously, it would have to be done incrementally and in conjunction with all the building going on downtown... not to mention NES.  Doing just this much could be a first step to major streetscaping in the future, after the proposed buildings are completed.  It's possible (probable, even) in five years that Division will be lined on both sides with residential buildings, just one of many streets in town. So would NES go along with it? I believe City Hall has more leverage than we've seen thus far. If only as a blueprint... whatever that would be, including replacing certain utility in alleys if not underground.  It's a long process but invokes the old question: When is the best time to plant a tree? Answer: Twenty years ago!  Second best: Today! 

• Like 3

A mixed use development to be called Alameda at Hadley Park including two structure (5 and 3 stores, 15 apartments, 8 town homes,  office space, and retail) is planned D.J. Wootson for .8 acre at 1010 28th Ave. North, a triangular lot backed up against I-40 West on the SE and Hadley Park on the west.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/11/28/sneak-peek-developers-next-north-nashville-project.html

Alameda at Hadley Park, Nov 28, 2018, render.png

Alameda at Hadley Park, Nov 28, 2018, site map.png

• Like 4

On 11/28/2018 at 9:21 AM, markhollin said:

A mixed use development to be called Alameda at Hadley Park including two structure (5 and 3 stores, 15 apartments, 8 town homes,  office space, and retail) is planned D.J. Wootson for .8 acre at 1010 28th Ave. North, a triangular lot backed up against I-40 West on the SE and Hadley Park on the west.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2018/11/28/sneak-peek-developers-next-north-nashville-project.html

Alameda at Hadley Park, Nov 28, 2018, render.png

Alameda at Hadley Park, Nov 28, 2018, site map.png

Great mixed use infill! We need more small projects like this. 

• Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, MLBrumby said:

Agreed! It's always bothered me that those windows are bricked-in. It is a beautiful building but needs carefully done renovation. I fear they will splash some hideous paint over it... just to stand out from the row. Sure hope that violates codes. 

It should be a bar co-owned by Jason Aldean, Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett, Reba, Kenny Chesney, Dolly, Willie Nelson, Luke Bryan and others.  The electric signage at the front of the building spelling out each of their names would easily stretch 20 stories high.  

On 11/19/2018 at 1:20 PM, MLBrumby said:

Agreed! It's always bothered me that those windows are bricked-in. It is a beautiful building but needs carefully done renovation. I fear they will splash some hideous paint over it... just to stand out from the row. Sure hope that violates codes. 

1 hour ago, wreynol4 said:

It should be a bar co-owned by Jason Aldean, Alan Jackson, Jimmy Buffett, Reba, Kenny Chesney, Dolly, Willie Nelson, Luke Bryan and others.  The electric signage at the front of the building spelling out each of their names would easily stretch 20 stories high.  

Why should it be them? I was talking to a co-worker as I did a construction tour down there yesterday and we were talking asking why it couldn't be a Carrie Underwood/Reba McEntire/Miranda Lambert type bar. It kinda prompted the question as to why a female power country artist hasn't put their name to one of these yet?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

Why should it be them? I was talking to a co-worker as I did a construction tour down there yesterday and we were talking asking why it couldn't be a Carrie Underwood/Reba McEntire/Miranda Lambert type bar. It kinda prompted the question as to why a female power country artist hasn't put their name to one of these yet?

Female country superstars might not want their names associated with drunk & disorderly throngs of sweaty bros and bridesmaids?

3 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Female country superstars might not want their names associated with drunk & disorderly throngs of sweaty bros and bridesmaids?

Valid point, and I realize the earlier comment was maybe in jest, but imagine the draw and immediate buzz generated by downtown's first bar associated with a female singer. A Reba or Carrie Underwood or Shania Twain influence would be an interesting twist to the mix downtown. Seems like now would be as good a time as any for it to happen.

• Like 2

As I reported with fencing up around the site a few weeks ago, the 3 and 4 story octagon-shaped building at  460 James Robertson Parkway is scheduled for demo.  It was once owned by the state government. Was purchased last year by the same group,  The Gettys Group, that is building a new TownePlace Suites next door.  No word yet what plans are for this lot.

More behind TheNashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21034642/octagon-building-set-for-demo

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.18.50 PM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the property in red and bordered in white at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2018-11-30 at 3.20.05 PM.png

• Like 3