Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

3 minutes ago, markhollin said:

- It would appear that on that site, if it were to include and above ground garage, that it could be around 22-25 stories (disappointing, as this site deserves at least 35 stories).

- Metro zoning allows for up to 30 stories, with possible amendments.

-
  Swerdling has tried to do several other hotel projects downtown in the past,  including a 450 room Hyatt on Broadway in 2012 tat was voted down.

Are the height restrictions due to the city or MDHA?

What happened that he got voted down in 2012?

34 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

It was considered too tall to be this close to Broadway.

40622524223_cc31f3a360_z.jpg

This particular rendering by ESa was about across 3rd from where the Moxy is now.  The Disney proposal was several blocks south of Broad at KVB diagonal to the Ascend Amphitheater.  The Disney proposal was much taller than this....40 stories with a giant guitar on the tower corner.  Look back in the 2017 Hard Rock thread if you have forgotten.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

So he started a hospital and an airport he named after his daughter? Busy guy!

No, I don't think they had any affiliation with the airport in fact was completely against his daughter getting her pilot's license. The airport was named after her for among other reasons it was located on the former farm they owned. Mr. Fort was possibly more notably known as one of the founders of National Life and Accident, the company that built what is now called the Tennessee Building. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

Wikipedia (I know, Wikipedia) says she was the first U.S. pilot to encounter Japanese airplanes on December 7, 1941, and she was the first female pilot to die while on active duty in 1943.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornelia_Fort

yes, those are among the other reasons the airport was named for her. And now that I think about it, her father was Dudley Fort. 

Edited by nvestnbna
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, markhollin said:

- Downtown Councilman Freddie O'Connell is sponsoring legislation for the proposal, which will go before Metro Council on April 16.  In it he states, "Metro has determined that there is a need for an additional, high-quality convention hotel … in the vicinity of the Music City Center."

I'd like to see that research, please.

I mean, really. I'd love to believe that the elevator just keeps going up! But it gets as little harder to believe with every new project that gets underway.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Vrtigo said:

I'd like to see that research, please.

I mean, really. I'd love to believe that the elevator just keeps going up! But it gets as little harder to believe with every new project that gets underway.

I thought it was pretty apparent that the music city center has to turn away potential conventions bc of a lack of hotel rooms? 

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 5:15 PM, markhollin said:

It is now official that the Ardent Company out of Atlanta, now in a joint venture with country artist John Rich, have paid $18.5 million for the 5 story 1905-era 200 Broadway Building (currently home to Cotton Eyed Joe).  That works out to $973 per square foot. It would appear that it will become some sort of theme bar.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/04/10/atlanta-buyer-john-rich-snag-entire-block-of.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

crap.    There is no way this ends well for this historic building.  

Edit: 

“Crap” was not the word I typed but it has the same meaning 

Edited by CenterHill
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I thought it was pretty apparent that the music city center has to turn away potential conventions bc of a lack of hotel rooms? 

Right; I remember hearing that as well, but last I remember hearing it was several years ago.

Anyway, I'd be thrilled if it is still true. I'm just surprised, given the numerous hotels that have recently opened, or are recently under construction.

Broadstone Stockyards (4 & 5 stories, 310 units, restaurant space) update.  South end parking garage up to 5th level. Foundation set on north end.

Looking south from intersection of 2nd Ave. North and Stockyard St:

Broadstone Stockyards, April 6, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking east from 3rd Ave. North, near intersection with Harrison St:

Broadstone Stockyards, April 6, 2019, 2.jpg

Looking SW from 2nd Ave. North, 1/2 block north of Stockyard St:

Broadstone Stockyards, April 6, 2019, 4.jpg

Looking north from 3rd Ave. North, near intersection with Harrison St:

Broadstone Stockyards, April 6, 2019, 13jpg.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, nashvylle said:

I thought the issue was with the MCC not being able to handle certain size conventions due to space limitations of the MCC itself.  Aren't they supposed to be studying the possibility to expand the MCC in order to meet the demands of larger conventions?  I'm sure if an expansion takes place it will also require more hotel rooms.  My question would be where in the immediate area could they do an expansion? Isn't most of the land around the MCC currently under development? 

• Like 2

On 4/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, markhollin said:

26th and Clarksville Senior Living (4 & 5 stories, 55 units, and I believe some street level retail) update. Topped out.
Looking south from intersection of Clarksville Pike and 26th Ave. North:

26th North and Clarksville Hwy, Senior Housing, April 6, 2019, 2.jpg

Avenue is doing this one? Could they be waiting for this project to finish up prior to starting on their property on Main Street in East Nashville??

On 4/12/2019 at 11:28 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I really hope we never host the republican or democratic NC. It is always an unwelcome nightmare to any city hosting the event and always attracts the wrong elements regardless of which party you are hosting. We are much better without it.

Well, you want have to worry about either coming to Nashville anytime soon.  Nashville and Philly both pulled out of the RNC process.  A Nashville spokesperson stated the city could not make such a convention work (I don't believe that unless it's because of events already booked).  However, there are those who believe the overall divisiveness in the political environment today is just not something city leaders want to bring to their cities.   It looks like the RNC is going to Charlotte in  2020.  According to The Hill an online political news source, Charlotte was the only city that went public in an effort to bring the convention there.  Milwaukee will host the DNC in 2020.

Edited by PillowTalk4