Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The freeway topping park in Dallas is only 5 acres and cost $100 million, completed in 2012. (Some of that from privately raised funds.) This proposal is for a park of almost three times that in total acres. I think the total for this project would be well over $200 million. And I do not think Nashville has the deep pocketed philanthropists to pick up any substantial part of that cost. Color me skeptical, although I would LOVE for it to happen!

• Like 3

They could sell air rights to defray the costs, perhaps commercial development at both ends if there was ever a LRT line going down Charlotte and 12th that would make the proximity to those stations command a premium. The air rights could also be for the new park"land" but work in a different way (a'la a land preservation trust or foundation park). I'm also quite skeptical that this would ever be done, not as much for the great cost (that wouldn't help) but because there would be a taxpayer's revolt. If the backlash for LRT was as great as it was, then the idea of spending any money 'just to pretty up' a freeway is bound to run into backlash from people who don't see anything beneficial to them. I can anticipate what their argument might be: that the riverfront park cost 'a fraction of that and NOBODY USES IT!' I can hear them now. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

A high dollar game of leapfrog? 

7 hours ago, markhollin said:

It looks like quite a step up from the trailer park that was there. Is that mezzanine level new? Would that be for concierge service? It looks very nice. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I'm hearing BB&S is begging the city to sell them this piece of land (circled in pink) so they can build a 41-story building. :rolleyes::shades:

BB&S.jpg

I dont think they want to be down in that section of town from what the NBJ story is saying. I really dont think Metro will sell valuable park land to them if they are not doing it for Tony. Talk about a can of worms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any idea what’s going on in the parking lot across from the Hooters? Is this just closed down for the draft or are we seeing something that hasn’t been updated/reported on much??

A38E8252-D8B0-4A51-9049-628B6E08AC5E.thumb.jpeg.0e39198c3d735faa606d5006660f2878.jpeg\

Clip from the development tracker...

image.thumb.png.b4ec07e18514cde9949dc3f54101a6ed.png

Edited by Bos2Nash
development map
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Are 20 somethings with dreadlocks a scary element to people in Nashville and those who visit?

Given my experiences with them harassing local girls walking their dogs and chasing the pedal taverns, yeah.  These are the homeless variation that seem to take up camp around this park.  Not the kinds just trying to piss off their rich WillCo parents.  

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, TheRaglander said:

Given my experiences with them harassing local girls walking their dogs and chasing the pedal taverns, yeah.  These are the homeless variation that seem to take up camp around this park.  Not the kinds just trying to piss off their rich WillCo parents.  

There was also a dog that was being walked that was killed by one of the dogs belonging to one of the homeless groups in the park. 

Edited by downtownresident
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Any idea what’s going on in the parking lot across from the Hooters? Is this just closed down for the draft or are we seeing something that hasn’t been updated/reported on much??

A38E8252-D8B0-4A51-9049-628B6E08AC5E.thumb.jpeg.0e39198c3d735faa606d5006660f2878.jpeg

Ron (smeagolsfree) was just walking by the site and called me from his cell--just a temporary set-up for the gatherings related to this weekend's Marathon or NFL Draft. 

We all agree this is such a prime block for something, someday.  But nothing is in the works at this moment. 

• Thanks 3

I LOVE the idea of capping the interstate! Whether a park or bringing future development into it would do wonders to connect our city but also create some really cool, new spaces. I agree that the amount of land we allocate to the massive amounts of cars moving around our city is down right insane! I am really impressed with the curriculum that VU has been doing with their engineering students. I attended the one at LP Building Products a week or two ago and they presented an affordable housing project above Music City Bus Terminal and was blown away!

That being said (and I say this without watching or attending the full event), $150 million would probably get us through maybe section 1 of this effort. If we were to factor the desire of air rights buildings on this, we are talking billions! The Big Dig in Boston (we all know what that project cost) was supposed to have structures built on top of the tunnel and they did integrate building foundations into the construction, but nothing has been built or is going to be in the near future. The ventilation of the tunnel would also have to be extensive and the parks on the surface would most certainly have ventilation buildings on them or they would have to be integrated into the new buildings.

METRO or potentially the state could incentivize prospective developers or companies into building over the highway by potentially subsidizing the cost of the deck (insane costs) but then most other subsidies would have to disappear to justify the costs. I would really hope that we can find creative ways to fund projects like this as it will benefit the city as a whole in the long run! And as @Mr_Bond affirmed, its all about starting these conversations now for the future of our city.

• Like 4

M Cubed Developments has paid $1.75 million for the .5 acre site at 810 Jefferson St. (just NW of the intersection of Jefferson and Rosa L. Parks Blvd) that was formerly home to a Church's Chicken.  No details ready for what the concept they have in mind, but they tend to do mixed-use developments.

More at the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21065871/jefferson-street-site-sells-for-175m

810 Jefferson St, April 24, 2019, site.png

810 Jefferson St, April 24, 2019, site map.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1