Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

51 minutes ago, markhollin said:

M Cubed Developments has paid $1.75 million for the .5 acre site at 810 Jefferson St. (just NW of the intersection of Jefferson and Rosa L. Parks Blvd) that was formerly home to a Church's Chicken.  No details ready for what the concept they have in mind, but they tend to do mixed-use developments.

More at the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21065871/jefferson-street-site-sells-for-175m

810 Jefferson St, April 24, 2019, site.png

810 Jefferson St, April 24, 2019, site map.png

This is the same group that bought 916 Main Street in East Nashville correct? Grabbing up multiple properties at once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

This isn’t an occasional gathering. 

there are syringes in this park, and when numerous people have been harassed by these dreadlock obsessed people, the park feels unwelcoming and unsafe. 

There is a difference between being in a park that feels safe and there are some homeless people in it, and a park that feels like the spot for people to shoot up and harass you. 

This 100%. Walk of Fame has homeless people that congregate in it, but doesn’t feel unsafe because the people that congregate there typically keep to themselves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nashvylle said:

This isn’t an occasional gathering. 

there are syringes in this park, and when numerous people have been harassed by these dreadlock obsessed people, the park feels unwelcoming and unsafe. 

There is a difference between being in a park that feels safe and there are some homeless people in it, and a park that feels like the spot for people to shoot up and harass you. 

Nailed it on the head.  This isn't occasional.  When I had to park up by the trolly barns, I would try to take the path under the KVB bridge to get to work.  Many times I turned around and went the long way because there were 6-7 hanging out under the bridge.  I am no slouch, but I could not defend myself if they wanted to play "what kind of iPhone does that guy have?".  I frequent the 1st Ave Park almost daily since I work across the street from it.  I really enjoy it.  I sit on those swinging chairs and just observe.  And for those that think they are "just homeless" who are there "occasionally" need to spend some time around this park:  They are there every day.  I see women walking their dogs anxious around them.  I've seen them harass people.  Apparently one of their dogs killed another dog.  But they are there every day and they only seem to hang around this park and the railroad tracks.  I don't typically see this group in the core or along KVB.   The ones in the core or along KVB keep to themselves.  Hell, I've chatted with a few before when they ask about the Preds if I am wearing Preds gear.  

• Like 4

Look, I understand your frustrations.  Some of these folks are more unsavory than others.  I get it.  But every sizable city in the country seems to have a sort of floating population of disaffected youth types, and most of those cities aren't having their public spaces taken over by them.  But it isn't as if Nashville is a special case.  As @titanhog alluded to, there are ways to deal with the situation, especially if there are illegal activities taking place.  All I'm saying is that if you don't want your public spaces being taken over by these folks, then the last thing you should do is immediately surrender your public spaces to them at the first sign of trouble.  Do something about it.  Don't just roll over and say 'oh, well, they're already there, so I guess the park belongs to them now.'

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, ariesjow said:

Guys, I work downtown and understand that you are referring to the specific look of many homeless people that currently hang around the parks, but please consider that not everyone reading this thread will have that experience and will raise their eyebrows when you make generalizations about people with dreads.  The idea that hairstyles like dreads and braids are inherently unkept is a source of frustration for many in the black community particularly in a professional environment where our hair options are often quite limited yet heavily scrutinized by people unfamiliar with our hair. These hairstyles vary widely in methods and styles and are not always messy, unclean, or indicative of some nefarious element.  

I agree that hairstyle is quite a poor determinant of one's character.  But to be fair, I think the dreads being discussed in this particular scenario are of the disaffected youth, drifter white kid variety... at least, that's generally my experience.  And let's be honest... if there were any hairstyle one could be excused for making negative assumptions about, I think it would be white person dreadlocks.  Haha ;)

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I agree that hairstyle is quite a poor determinant of one's character.  But to be fair, I think the dreads being discussed in this particular scenario are of the disaffected youth, drifter white kid variety... at least, that's generally my experience.  And let's be honest... if there were any hairstyle one could be excused for making negative assumptions about, I think it would be white person dreadlocks.  Haha ;)

I'll see you and raise you...

mullet.jpg

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, BnaBreaker said:

I agree that hairstyle is quite a poor determinant of one's character.  But to be fair, I think the dreads in this scenario are of the disaffected youth, drifter white kid variety... at least, that's generally my experience with that type.  And let's be honest... if there were any hairstyle one could be excused for making negative assumptions about, I think it would be white person dreadlocks.  Haha ;)

Yes, I completely understood that everyone was primarily referring to wayward white youth with dreads. I just wanted to point out how some of these posts might read differently to others who are less familiar with Nashville's homeless population. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Binbin98 said:

I am temporarily breaking my recovery to talk on this subject because the issue of safety hits really close to home for me.

Literally yesterday my relationship partner who lives in Nashville’s car was stolen and they were robbed of all their things. They live in an apartment with three other friends and they were all held at gunpoint while they were being robbed in Hermitage.

I want to believe that safety in Nashville is better than the average city in America but I don’t believe that anymore. We chide cities like Memphis and New Orleans for their crime problems which they certainly do have, but never EVER admit to the fact that Nashville is in the top 50 most dangerous cities in America for violent crime still, and its ever increasing. I give the accolades that keep coming for Nashville a year more at most before people start to realize that this city is headed for bad times unless it gets its’ act together on public safety and transportation. Rant over.

I live in Smyrna in a very safe townhome community...and I used to go out to mailbox (about 100 ft from my front door) at any time of the day or night because of how safe and quiet it is.  But...2-3 weeks ago, I went out to my mailbox at midnight and a man snuck up behind me.  I noticed him right before he got to me and I said, "Oh...hi...you scared me."  He stopped dead...looked confused and said..."oh...yeah...umm...sorry, I was just going to check my mail, too."  I hurried and locked my mailbox and quickly went back to my townhome.  I'm not sure if he was going to attack me...but I now know not to push my luck after dark.

• Like 1

A large 2.05 acre parcel that combines 35 Hermitage Ave. and 34 Rutledge St. (just to the south of the soon-to-be-opened City Lights condo project) is for sale at an undisclosed asking price.  This has been home to Scott Sales  since 1977, and features a nondescript 1 story warehouse.  It is zoned for up to 7 stories, and would most likely be attractive to a residential mixed-use developer, similar to City Lights. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21066037/rutledge-hill-warehouse-hits-market

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.47.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.49.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.50.45 PM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, smeagolsfree said:

I can see that land being sold in two parcels for two developments, however with it only zoned for 7 stories, that brings the potential asking price down. Thanks a lot MDHA and Metro Planning.

You guys are goof balls.

it seems this could be rezoned fairly easily, though?

Crime, accidents and bad things happen everywhere, regardless of the city.  Any incident that hits close to home can cloud the bigger picture.  Nashville definitely has crime just like every large city in America.  Police and  community leaders and news media cover it well. 

Edited by dxfret
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, markhollin said:

A large 2.05 acre parcel that combines 35 Hermitage Ave. and 34 Rutledge St. (just to the south of the soon-to-be-opened City Lights condo project) is for sale at an undisclosed asking price.  This has been home to Scott Sales  since 1977, and features a nondescript 1 story warehouse.  It is zoned for up to 7 stories, and would most likely be attractive to a residential mixed-use developer, similar to City Lights. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21066037/rutledge-hill-warehouse-hits-market

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.47.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.49.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 1.50.45 PM.png

I'd guess a developer would want a variance to go taller, since the City Lights is in the way of potential skyline views. So, about 3-5 levels of parking with 7 floors of residential above it. I realize the City Lights zoning refused a taller building. I think this one will test the firmness of the current zoning in SoBro, especially because of the smaller historic buildings on adjacent parcels.  I see 2 in the aerial. Of course, it could be (probably would be) the next domino to toppling the historic houses next door. 

• Like 1