Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

On 2/28/2019 at 3:53 PM, markhollin said:

A few more details regarding the repurposing of the Neuhhoff Packing Plant and adjoining parcel (total of 9.2 acres) by New City LLC out of Atlanta. These are not finalized, but were filed with Metro Planning:

• 371 residential units
  • 662,000 square feet of "general office space"
  • 35 hotel rooms
  • 60,000 square feet of restaurant space
  • 70,000 square feet of retail space
  • Kimley-Horn and Assoc. is in charge of planning/engineering

Also, it is not clear yet if an additional 5 acres that is owned by Cumberland River Development  (the same entity that owned the Neuhoff Plant) will sell those to New City as well, or if they will retain those and develop separately. 

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/02/28/developer-aims-to-pack-a-lot-into-revived.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

On 3/31/2019 at 1:10 PM, Quixotic 1 said:

.... Doesn't seem odd to me at all that hundreds of millions of dollars are being invested here. It's the best neighborhood in Nashville as far as I am concerned.  The Neuhoff plan announced in the NBJ is pretty amazing. 

We'll just have to wait for the assessment of damage from the fire Thursday morning (today) in the vacant Neuhoff plant.  I remember ops in that building from way back.  Either it would be or it would have been an interesting transformation for adaptive re-use, as sprawling of masonry structure as it is.

-=:(=-

On 8/27/2019 at 8:54 AM, Bos2Nash said:

FWIW, I believe the bridge is an essential part of infrastructure that definitely should be built. I have no idea how to fund it, but I would prefer a private/public partnership (*cough* station district owner *cough*) to help fund the bridge. 

A bridge that saves tourists 5-10 minutes is essential infrastructure? Come on. The Gulch isn't some sort of beleaguered food desert 45 minutes from anything. As 8th Ave and Demonbreun continues to develop, this bridge is less and less valuable. 

Now if Gulch business and Station District want to come together, then by all means. Build five bridges if you want, and a tunnel or two for rainy days. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Craiger said:

A bridge that saves tourists 5-10 minutes is essential infrastructure? Come on. The Gulch isn't some sort of beleaguered food desert 45 minutes from anything. As 8th Ave and Demonbreun continues to develop, this bridge is less and less valuable. 

Now if Gulch business and Station District want to come together, then by all means. Build five bridges if you want, and a tunnel or two for rainy days. 

It won’t just be tourists... and this is coming from someone who really wants bridges everywhere, not just at this location, but understands why now is not the time to build it. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

It won’t just be tourists... and this is coming from someone who really wants bridges everywhere, not just at this location, but understands why now is not the time to build it. 

You're right I was being a bit disingenuous with the tourist comment, but my point is that it is really just a small time saver. The Gulch is and should be it's own neighborhood with it's own amenities. Heck, it's one of the few urban neighborhoods with it's own grocery store already. It doesn't need to be 5 minutes "closer" to downtown to for anything other than a small bit of convenience for a small subset of the city's population. 

14 minutes ago, Craiger said:

You're right I was being a bit disingenuous with the tourist comment, but my point is that it is really just a small time saver. The Gulch is and should be it's own neighborhood with it's own amenities. Heck, it's one of the few urban neighborhoods with it's own grocery store already. It doesn't need to be 5 minutes "closer" to downtown to for anything other than a small bit of convenience for a small subset of the city's population. 

the bridge is certainly a "nice to have" not a "need to have". 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nashvylle said:

the bridge is certainly a "nice to have" not a "need to have". 

You may be right, but the city already decided that the bridge is a "going to have"  - which has led to land swapping behind cummins station and designs being drawn up for the station district that accommodate the bridge, both of which cost money and time (which equals money) that the city could be on the hook for if we decide to scrap the bridge.  I wouldn't be surprised if the W hotel and that new short brick building decided to get in on the lawsuit as well claiming that the pedestrian bridge was partially responsible for inducing their development construction.  I could be wrong, but my guess is that it would cost the city at least half as much to scrap the plan as it would to just build the thing.

That said, I do agree that holding off on it for the time being is probably a good move.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, ruraljuror said:

You may be right, but the city already decided that the bridge is a "going to have"  - which has led to land swapping behind cummins station and designs being drawn up for the station district that accommodate the bridge, both of which cost money and time (which equals money) that the city could be on the hook for if we decide to scrap the bridge.  I wouldn't be surprised if the W hotel and that new short brick building decided to get in on the lawsuit as well claiming that the pedestrian bridge was partially responsible for inducing their development construction.  I could be wrong, but my guess is that it would cost the city at least half as much to scrap the plan as it would to just build the thing.

That said, I do agree that holding off on it for the time being is probably a good move.  

good point. I do not think it is scrapped indefinitely, but for the time being. 

3 hours ago, Craiger said:

Why not? Millions of dollars are spent to build and widen roads to save car commuters 5-10 minutes all the time.

Also, as I already mentioned above, I think the bridge would actually be used more by people in SoBro heading to the Gulch instead of the other way around. You're right that the Gulch is one of the few truly urban neighborhoods, and as other areas like SoBro grow with residents, they will need to access the Gulch's amenities until their own neighborhoods are fully developed with retail, full service restaurants, gyms, etc. instead of being geared to the 9-5 business crowd and/or convention-goers/tourists/special events.

As for the number of people it will service, that can be a slippery slope. I can assure you more people will use this than some of the roads are used in the outer areas of the county.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Perhaps we could lease out the rights to access points to a private developer who could design & build an eye catching, SPECTACULAR bridge with an elevated observation platform. Let them charge a fee to cross the bridge and access the observation level for great photo opportunities. That provides the “connectivity” AND minimizes the potential for it becoming a haven for panhandlers or other unsavory characters.

No offense, but if we are getting down to the psychological impact on tourists and wealthy six figure downtown residents, then I feel like you are now making my point for me. Should we name a few neighborhoods that have epidemic levels of mental health issues that could use a few million dollars to help address their mental health? 

What is so unpleasant about the Demonbreun street viaduct? Also, is that one the state is replacing or is that church and broadway? 

Maybe the city hires some psychologists to stage on either side of Demonbreun bridge to debrief the harrowing journey

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Craiger said:

No offense, but if we are getting down to the psychological impact on tourists and wealthy six figure downtown residents, then I feel like you are now making my point for me. Should we name a few neighborhoods that have epidemic levels of mental health issues that could use a few million dollars to help address their mental health? 

What is so unpleasant about the Demonbreun street viaduct? Also, is that one the state is replacing or is that church and broadway? 

Maybe the city hires some psychologists to stage on either side of Demonbreun bridge to debrief the harrowing journey

If you are were trying to reach East Nashville, and the distances were essentially the same, would you choose Woodland St. Bridge or Shelby Street Bridge? Most folks seem to choose Shelby Street.  I was just in NYC and often picked the slightly longer route to somewhere because the experience was simply better. I may not be sold on public funding for the walkway, but I do see the upsides. 

1 hour ago, Craiger said:

The Broadway viaduct is due for replacement. If the put stairs, which I think they will into the Gulch that will further help the issue. I have stopped many tourist looking to get from the Gulch to Broadway and told them they have to go up McGavock. They look at the map and think they can simply appear on Broadway 60 feet above them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MDHA yesterday approved the Hume House/The Hamilton (4 & 5 story apartment buildings with shared internal garage) between Werthan Lofts and The Flats at Taylor place just south of Hume St. in Germantown  A new layout diagram is available below.  Still no word on how many units.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21085208/mdha-committee-oks-riverfront-tower-modifications

Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.06.37 AM.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1