Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Sonder, a short-term-rental company, is partnering with Mark Bloom to manage 8 units on the upper floors of 131 2nd Ave. North.  

The building's ownership group will create the units and lease them to Sonder, which touts hotel-caliber service like an around-the-clock concierge, keyless room entry, Nest thermostats and NoiseAware, a technology that alerts staff when a particular room is too noisy.

Metro permits show that the bottom floor of Bloom’s building will be a restaurant or bar. Bloom said no decisions have been made on what tenant or concept will fill that space.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/09/04/billion-dollar-short-term-rental-company.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Sonder, 131 2nd Ave. North, Sept 4, 2019, site.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, memphian said:

The DGX reminds me of a Tesco express or Sainsburys local in the UK but with probably less focus on meal prep or pre-made meals. So cool to see these stores opening.

I love Tesco, and Boots, which is owned by Walgreens, but in the UK, nothing beats Pret a Manger! I wish Nashville had one downtown or in 12th South. It would stay very busy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NashvilleObserver said:

I love Tesco, and Boots, which is owned by Walgreens, but in the UK, nothing beats Pret a Manger! I wish Nashville had one downtown or in 12th South. It would stay very busy.

Ahh I LOVE Pret!  There is one in Chicago near where I work, and it is perfect for a high quality quick lunch or breakfast when you are short on time.  My go to combo is the salmon cobb salad and green pozole soup.  I agree, they would clean up with a location anywhere in Nashville's CBD.  

Edited by BnaBreaker

On 8/29/2019 at 5:13 PM, downtownresident said:

DGX in the base of the Sobro is almost complete. Items starting to be stocked on the shelves. Can’t wait for it to open!

23C1054C-BD83-4EE4-A014-4DC06C42F50F.jpeg

So how many downtown groceries do we have now? I believe there is one in the Viridian, a Whole foods coming to Endeavor, and a Publix at Capitol View. Do we have more?

• Like 1

I am glad to see the Werthan property fully developed.   My only concern is where will the  future tenants of the bow truss building and the new 6th and Taylor building park? While I appreciate the density in our neighborhood, I am currently lucky to park a block from my house. An extra hundred cars a day might put me a half mile up the road! 

I also wonder if the houses on Hume will lose their downtown views...

7 minutes ago, Bark At The Sun said:

Went in there this morning and am impressed so far.   They have a nice selection of produce along with other grocery items.   DGX pretty much has everything that HG Hills has, except for the deli.

dgx.jpg

It’s been a fantastic addition to the neighborhood. Super convenient and great prices for downtown. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dxfret said:

I consider the Kroger store on 8th Avenue (Franklin Road) to be in Melrose/Berry Hill, not in downtown.  

The new Publix at Capitol View and the Whole Foods Market at 12th & Broadway are far closer to downtown. 

I think Memphian is referring to the Kroger on Rosa L. Parks (formerly 8th Ave N.) in Buena Vista, up across from Germantown.

Just now, Nashville Cliff said:

I think Memphian is referring to the Kroger on Rosa L. Parks (formerly 8th Ave N.) in Buena Vista, up across from Germantown.

I used to shop there when I lived downtown. Pretty convenient. Always made me scratch my head when folks said there were no groceries in or near downtown.

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

One thing that Nashville should try to sell prospective stores on is that not only is there a growing residential community in downtown, but with all the hotels you have a large tourist segment that they will also benefit from.  When I travel to cities like New York and stay in a hotel that has a refrigerator in the room I tend to get my own soft drinks and juices because it's far less expensive than using the items supplied by the hotel.  So, I typically find myself stopping at Walgreens/Duane Read to get beverages and maybe a light snack.  In most parts of NYC you are within a short walking distance to a national chain store or even a local neighborhood market.  You'll also find plenty of them that are open late hours and some that are 24 hours.  I would imagine that tourist in Nashville would shop for the same reason at drug stores and markets located in downtown.  Plus they will go to those stores if they forgot to pack certain toiletries, etc.  I recently went in a Walgreens in NYC that also had a bit more grocery items than I'm used to seeing in their stores.  It even had an area with fresh vegetables and meats.  I'm sure that was done to address the growing number of condo conversion properties in the area.

You had room in a NYC hotel room for a refrigerator? You must be rich.......

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

One thing that Nashville should try to sell prospective stores on is that not only is there a growing residential community in downtown, but with all the hotels you have a large tourist segment that they will also benefit from.  When I travel to cities like New York and stay in a hotel that has a refrigerator in the room I tend to get my own soft drinks and juices because it's far less expensive than using the items supplied by the hotel.  So, I typically find myself stopping at Walgreens/Duane Read to get beverages and maybe a light snack.  In most parts of NYC you are within a short walking distance to a national chain store or even a local neighborhood market.  You'll also find plenty of them that are open late hours and some that are 24 hours.  I would imagine that tourist in Nashville would shop for the same reason at drug stores and markets located in downtown.  Plus they will go to those stores if they forgot to pack certain toiletries, etc.  I recently went in a Walgreens in NYC that also had a bit more grocery items than I'm used to seeing in their stores.  It even had an area with fresh vegetables and meats.  I'm sure that was done to address the growing number of condo conversion properties in the area.

I discovered Duane Reed on a NYC business trip when the airline lost my luggage and I had to buy toiletries and other items in a pinch to make it to a big meeting.  Any store like that in downtown would be a huge asset. 

M Cubed continues to expand its portfolio in Germantown/Buena Vista. They just purchased First Street Missionary Baptist Church building on .34 acre at 1206/1212 9th Ave. North for $1.5 million.  The church had bought the property in 1952 for $14,000. No word on their plans for the site.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21086193/development-company-pays-15m-for-north-side-site

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.29.58 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 8.31.25 AM.png

• Like 1

14 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

There seems to be a Duane Reed about every other block in central Manhattan, at least it seems that way with all of the videos I watch of that area.

Walgreens acquired Reade in 2010 or 2011 if I recall.   Walgreens left the stores alone pretty much until about a 2018.  That's when new signage on some of the stores was changed to read Duane Reade by Walgreens on them.  I suspect Walgreens will eventually phase out the Duane Reade signs.  But Duane Reade is like an institution to NYC.  Walgreens on the other hand had very few stores in NYC.  So, doing a wholesale change out right away probably would have been a disaster for Walgreens. 

Walgreens should strongly consider following the DR model in cities like Nashville and Charlotte, where the residential population in the city core is growing.  But in Nashville you also have a large tourist population to draw from.