Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

A couple of projects from MetroCenter.

Bulls Eye Center at 2030 Rosa Parks Blvd (several 1 story structures) update.  Framing up.

Looking west from Fairfield Inn parking lot near interchange of French Landing Dr. and Dominican Drive:

2030 Rosa Parks Center, Sept 7, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking north from Fairfield Inn parking lot near interchange of French Landing Dr. and Dominican Drive:

2030 Rosa Parks Center, Sept 7, 2019, 2.jpg

Cumberland Behavioral Health Hospital (2 stories, 76 beds) update: Foundational dig underway.

Looking NW from Great Circle Drive,  1/2 bock north of Vantage Way:

Cumberland Behavioral Hospital, Sept 7, 2019, 1.jpg

Looking south from Great Circle Rd., 1/2 block east of Athens Way:

Cumberland Behavioral Hospital, Sept 7, 2019, 2.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 8:56 AM, Ingram said:

The Gulch and SoBro crowd can pay for the bridge themselves. They simply need to cut back on the millions they spend on craft beer, smoothies, and gourmet coffee.

I voted for Cooper for this reason.  Our tax dollars should stay in our own communities and not used for downtown projects. 

• Haha 1

Another site at Metro Center has sold, this one at 200 Cumberland Bend, for $8.5 million. The 3.7 acre plot includes a large warehouse for Metro Medical Supply distribution.  200 Cumberland LLC has bought it from the supply company.  No word on intentions yet, although another residential development is rumored for the site just to the west in between 200 Cumberland Bend and The Duke, so this could be yet another that would have views of the river.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21086879/metrocenter-site-sells-for-85m

Screen Shot 2019-09-16 at 8.12.21 AM.png

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, AronG said:

That's the funniest thing about the whole Cooper/neighborhood schtick. People really do somehow believe that the downtown area, the economic engine of the region, with tens of thousands of expensive residences and hundreds of thousands of high-end jobs, is mooching off of the areas of the county with like 2 houses per acre. Brilliant. It would be wonderful if an adult could explain to them that metro has to spend way more to support them than they generate; that a city block downtown generates more property tax than an exurb subdivision,  with a fraction of the road/power/water/infrastructure and much easier connection to existing grids and municipal services, etc.

People love it though. It jives perfectly with anti-new-Nashville-ism, and got him elected in a landslide, so you have to hand it to him. The funniest part of all is going to be watching him work to maintain this fiction over the next few years.

Been watching this from the tristate.....did not Briley mention any of this during the campaign? That if what is happening in downtown wasn't happening then the future of Nashville could be seen by making a trip up to the Rust Belt?

Middle Tennesseans need to be on their knees in gratitude for what's happening there-I know some of them have recently arrived from up here so they should know what the alternative is.

• Like 2

Don't disagree with the points made above but Briley was not the mayor to lead Nashville forward. He's actually a very weak person... not a leader. And his mismanagement of the campaign in its last month should make every Nashvillian glad he was not reelected. I don't think Cooper is much better, but that is the state of the political situation in cities in America today. 

I found this report amusing because I know two of the 'elites' named in the report did in fact support Cooper.  One is a developer who also sits on the Metro Parks board who did NOT want Giarratana to get the Church Street park for his new residential tower. 

https://tennesseestar.com/2019/08/09/nashville-elite-reportedly-working-hard-to-get-nashville-mayor-david-briley-re-elected/

• Like 2

The existing brick building (and property) are considered "Worthy of Conservation" by Metro, so the developers will definitely have to answer some questions about the demolition. I would hope the they integrate some concepts of the existing building into the new design, but with its location and condition of the building it may be hard to actually retain the complete building in its original state.

38 minutes ago, Bos2Nash said:

The existing brick building (and property) are considered "Worthy of Conservation" by Metro, so the developers will definitely have to answer some questions about the demolition.

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Metro to ever stand up to a developer over a historic structure. We as a city just don't seem to give a damn about history when there are dollars to be chased and developers to appease.

1 minute ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Yeah, I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Metro to ever stand up to a developer over a historic structure. We as a city just don't seem to give a damn about history when there are dollars to be chased and developers to appease.

And, I'd add the proposed hotel looks like just about every other apartment/small hotel being built in every other midsize and larger city.

Sorry Mark & Paul, I strongly disagree about incorporation of the old structure into the new design.  The Victorian era is long past and the neighborhood on Lindsey has deteriorated architecturally into a hodgepodge.  IMO the only structure worth preserving is the church at Second Avenue, the exterior of which has been beautifully restored recently.   Most of the remaining area on the crest of Rutledge Hill is a treasure to be respected and preserved, but dissociated small buildings like this one are not particularly good candidates for enshrinement.  Like I stated about the Rudy House at 19th & Broadway, structure out of the context of the original neighborhood character of little historical value would not be high on my list to save.  This contrasts considerably with the vandalism of the homes lost for the Virgin Hotel, nice as it is for the height junkies among us.  This structure, while representative of the vanished elegant homes that once surrounded it, is a sad fragment with a crapfest of an addition grafted onto it.  This area of Rutledge Hill has been severed from the rest of the historic neighborhood by the Metro parking and offices that ate up so much of the neighborhood that existed there.  I don't recall exactly what Metro demolished but it very definitely isolated what remained on Lindsey from the rest of Rutledge Hill.  I can't even imagine what Victorian excellence was lost back in the 50s & 60s with the construction of the interstate and the public housing.   The proposed Muse development IMO is not particularly excellent in design, but it beats the Haven project in the Gulch by a mile.   I am also not much of a fan of the Rolling Mill Hill apartment complexes or the 9 story offices at Peabody (who on this forum likes IT other than it is "infill"?  At any rate, it is now part of our growing urban fabric and affords a lively streetscape  ( irrelevant to my opinion of its lack of elegance).   As to the Muse, don't forget that this site was just across the street from a fuel tank farm and a giant homeless encampment in the 90's and close to the industrial parks just on the other side of the interstate.  Don't cherry pick to justify preservation or mourn such small losses.  The apartments in danger of demolition over at Elliston  Place, THAT is a fight worth entering!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would nice if they could keep the original portion of the structure that fronts the unnamed street and only demolish the part that is along Lindsley Ave.

Also, it seems to me that the rendering featuring views of the skyline from the deck is misleading.  I can't see how they would have those views even in a 5 story building.  Maybe I'm wrong.  But considering that the property is sitting on the low end of an incline  the views of the skyline would easily be blocked by development in Rolling Mills Hill.  I'm not even sure they would see the top of the buildings in SoBro if the view up Hermitage doesn't stay unobstructed.

• Like 1