Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

A 5 story, 194 unit apartment complex at 115 Cumberland Bend is being planned by The Giddings Group with a start date of early 2020. The MetroCenter site is currently a surface lot, and is immediately to the east of The Duke apartment complex, which Giddings also developed.  No name or renderings for the project yet.

InvestWell Architects and Thomas & Hutton civil engineering are part of the planning team. No contractor has been selected yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21087617/metrocenter-site-eyed-for-apartment-building

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal (notated as Polygon 324) at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 8.14.01 AM.png

A group of private investors, led by David Byerly that includes Mark Gwyn, Sam Lingo and T.D. Jakes is meeting with the city about purchasing and restoring the Morris Memorial Building at 330 Dr. MLK Jr. Blvd (Charlotte Ave.). 

"These really are exploratory conversations to honor and preserve the heritage of the building without using Metro funds," says Jim Schmitz  market president for Eilliott Davis, who arranged the meeting withMayor Briley's office. "We're hopeful the new administration, with its real estate background, will be open to creative ideas to make this work."

The Briley administration had thoughts about repurposing the structure with ground floor retail, and a Nashville African American History Museum, plus office space. No word on what this private  group's plan is for the structure.

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2019/09/19/private-investors-aim-to-buy-historic-downtown.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 2.28.26 PM.png

• Like 2

My spidey sense tells me something is off about this David Byerly guy. He may be legit, but he has the hotel on 22nd Ave proposed and we have heard nothing. He has the project on the KVB round about with no details and has partnered with a hotel developer out of Dickson who has pulled a loan according to the NBJ on the Octagon Building on Music Row. The website says its under construction and nothing. Pretty soon the bank that loaned the money on that project will want to know why its not under way.  He is trying to pull in big name money to be investors in his projects which in my mind sends up fireworks that say stay away from this guy.

All I am saying is something just is not right here.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Anybody else wish they had never moved the Grand Ole Opry out to Opryland?  Been watching the Ken Burns PBS series on Country Music...and it just reminds us all how amazing that radio show has been (longest running live radio show in the U.S.).  I realize they have special "Opry" nights at the Ryman...but it would be cool if it was year round in the Ryman.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m definitely torn on it...as what you say makes sense.  However, the building at Opryland lacks so much character in comparison.  You could still have concerts several days a week at the Ryman...just not Fri or Sat nights.  I just think it was crazy to move out of such an iconic structure to play in such a meh building on Briley Pkwy.  But then again...a lot of thing people did in the 70’s doesn’t make sense. :D

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, titanhog said:

I’m definitely torn on it...as what you say makes sense.  However, the building at Opryland lacks so much character in comparison.  You could still have concerts several days a week at the Ryman...just not Fri or Sat nights.  I just think it was crazy to move out of such an iconic structure to play in such a meh building on Briley Pkwy.  But then again...a lot of thing people did in the 70’s doesn’t make sense. :D

Yeah...strange thought processes.  Even Roy Acuff was advocating that The Ryman be torn down in the early 80s.    Arrrrgh!  

• Like 1

You have to remember the context of history of the timing of the move. Downtown was on a serious decline-not much activity after dark on Broadway other than hookers and drunks. The Ryman was not air conditioned and had minimal backstage amenities-most artists would hang out across the alley at Tootsies awaiting their time on the show. The lure of a modern, spacious, and comfortable building was a powerful draw.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

And also keep in mind that the new Opry House (which opened in 1974) was the main attraction of the new Opryland theme park (which opened in 1972). One might not have existed without the other.

It really is amazing to think that the Ryman sat pretty much empty and unused from the mid-'70s to the mid-'90s and came so close to being torn down.

• Like 2

Not only that. I recall a buddy and I actually wandered through it sometime around 1990. Walked in off the street and checked it out from stem to stern. The doors were unlocked... nobody inside. Later a maintenance guy showed up but he was as clueless about whether anyone else was there as we were. For a whole half hour, we saw no one. I can't recall exactly whether they were giving tours during that era, but pretty sure they didn't go inside. I'm admitting to trespassing... I guess. Was surprised it seemed that nobody seemed to give a damn about the place. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Not only that. I recall a buddy and I actually wandered through it sometime around 1990. Walked in off the street and checked it out from stem to stern. The doors were unlocked... nobody inside. Later a maintenance guy showed up but he was as clueless about whether anyone else was there as we were. For a whole half hour, we saw no one. I can't recall exactly whether they were giving tours during that era, but pretty sure they didn't go inside. I'm admitting to trespassing... I guess. Was surprised it seemed that nobody seemed to give a damn about the place. 

And now it's one of Nashville's most iconic structures and known as one of the best music venues in the world (especially the acoustics).  So glad someone saved the place.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, donNdonelson2 said:

You have to remember the context of history of the timing of the move. Downtown was on a serious decline-not much activity after dark on Broadway other than hookers and drunks. The Ryman was not air conditioned and had minimal backstage amenities-most artists would hang out across the alley at Tootsies awaiting their time on the show. The lure of a modern, spacious, and comfortable building was a powerful draw.

I spent many days backstage at the new Opry House as I catered a lot of their  events in my Opryland days in the 70's. It has beautiful spacious dressing rooms and a nicely appointed green room where I spent time (no talking!) with the likes of Johnny Cash and Perry Como.

And it had a state of the art TV studio in the back where I got to watch a segment of Sesame Street being filmed. I knew the guys in the control room, so I could hang out there and watch as long as I was quiet. Good times. Great building and an incredible resource other cities would kill for. 

• Like 3

NES has landed a permit of $4.5 million for the 30,400 sq. ft. substation build along 11th Ave. North of the Church Street Viaduct. There will be a parking deck built on top of the new power station. Aubrey Silvey Enterprises is handling the construction. Moody Nolan Architects is handling the design.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21088156/work-to-begin-on-nes-substation

• Like 3

The empty .5 acre lot at 1320 Rosa Parks Blvd. has sold to FFNRP LLC for $1.58 million. The group is a joint venture between Cottingham Capital Partners and FrontFour Capital.  The property last sold for $200,000 in 2006.  No specific plan has been announced, but the developers are known for mixed-use residential projects. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21088236/germantown-site-sells-for-15m

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.12.59 AM.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2019-09-24 at 8.19.19 AM.png

• Like 2

The WestVue (26 townhomes, 3 stories) project on 1.6 acres at 1002 West Trinity Lane finally seems to be moving forward . Planters Bank out of Clarksville is supplying the $9.8 million loan to Choice City Home, the developer.  

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21088702/peabody-plaza-lands-major-tenant

WestVue, Sept 24, 2019, render.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

WestVue, Sept 24, 2019, site map.png

• Like 1