Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

The rehab of 131-133 2nd Ave South is underway.

131-133 2nd Ave North, March 28, 2020.jpg

According to permitting, this is an 8-unit apartment interior renovation totaling 9,790 square feet. Existing stairs and elevator locations are going to stay in place and a few floor openings to be infilled as needed. Gilbert Mclaughlin appear to be the architect and EMC is handling the structural engineering.

Edited by Bos2Nash
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, markhollin said:

HG Hill Realty has purchased the final .2 acre sliver of the full block at 416 Jefferson St. (between 4th and 5th Avenues) in Germantown.  With the $1.3 million purchase they now control all 3 acres and have created Hill Center Germantown LLC.  

At the very end of 2019, H.G. Hill filed water and sewer permit documents with Metro that point to the kind of mixed-use development the company might build. Those plans, submitted by Barge Cauthen & Associates for just the piece of land at 416 Jefferson St., called for a 31,000-square-foot grocery store, a 105,000-square-foot office building and a bit of additional retail space.

John Gore, a vice president at Barge Cauthen, said those plans do not describe a specific planned project but instead reflect the maximum of what H.G. Hill is allowed to build under that property's current zoning.

Hampton Crane, which had been leasing from HG Hill on 60% of the site, was destroyed by the tornado last month and has been fully razed in the past week (see photo below).

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/10/granbery-rounds-out-hill-centergermantown.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

I mean no disrespect to Hampton Cranes when I say this, because what happened to their business as a result of the tornado is extremely unfortunate, and I don't wish that upon anyone.  However, all that being said, can I just say... WOOOOOOHOOOOO!!!  I have been hoping to see this property developed for so long now, so I am so happy to see it finally happen.  Once this is finished, Germantown will finally feel COMPLETE to me, and I think that corner will become the premiere corner in the neighborhood, if it isn't already.  Can't wait to see renderings!

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, markhollin said:

HG Hill Realty has purchased the final .2 acre sliver of the full block at 416 Jefferson St. (between 4th and 5th Avenues) in Germantown.  With the $1.3 million purchase they now control all 3 acres and have created Hill Center Germantown LLC.  

At the very end of 2019, H.G. Hill filed water and sewer permit documents with Metro that point to the kind of mixed-use development the company might build. Those plans, submitted by Barge Cauthen & Associates for just the piece of land at 416 Jefferson St., called for a 31,000-square-foot grocery store, a 105,000-square-foot office building and a bit of additional retail space.

John Gore, a vice president at Barge Cauthen, said those plans do not describe a specific planned project but instead reflect the maximum of what H.G. Hill is allowed to build under that property's current zoning.

Hampton Crane, which had been leasing from HG Hill on 60% of the site, was destroyed by the tornado last month and has been fully razed in the past week (see photo below).

More behind the NBJ paywall here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2020/04/10/granbery-rounds-out-hill-centergermantown.html?iana=hpmvp_nsh_news_headline

136,000 s.f. for just that 60% of the block seems very small to me. I trust that's just because HGH hasn't asked for a zoning change. 

Somewhat related question: What is a good thumbnail estimate of square footage for a typical apartment building... 1000 s.f. per unit (e.g. 250 units in 250K s.f.), or  more or less?  I said 1,000 to account for the ancillary space, including hallways and storage closets etc., but I'm only guessing. Of course, adding retail/office space would add to that. 

I am not sure how they are going to handle public neighborhood  meetings. The planning dept, when asked gave the vague government answer pretty much meaning they have not figured it out yet and they are making it up as they go along.

All of the other meetings will be teleconferenced on Metro channel 3.

The 1 acre site at 400 Hume St. (NW corner of Hume and 4th Ave. North) in Germantown has been sold yet again, this time for $2.07 million Pennwall Properties LLC. Barlow Builders made the sale, after stalling on their proposed 15 townhome/3 condo development. No word on if that same concept will be carried-out or a new project will be undertaken.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21128288/salemtown-site-eyed-for-residences-sells-for-2m

This screenshot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in red at the center of the frame:

Screen Shot 2020-04-14 at 8.02.19 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, markhollin said:

Germantown Place (4 stories, 71 units) will be gutted and rebuilt with a mid 2021 completion planned.

The reinvented complex will have a new roof, new windows and lots of new brick. Large portions of the exterior will be removed and reconstructed, thus avoiding a full razing. Taking this approach will require less time than scraping the site clean and constructing afresh.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/residential-real-estate/article/21128599/stormdamaged-germantown-building-to-be-salvaged

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 12.40.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 12.41.01 PM.png

Glad to hear that a full razing and rebuild has been avoided! Hopefully that corner of town is back to life sooner than expected!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

Cornerstone Square, the 7 story, 48,000 sq. ft. 1894-era brick building at 530 Church St. (once home to Harvey's Dept. Store) is going to be rehabbed into a short-term rental hotel on its 2nd, 5th, and 6th floors. Currently those levels are used for office space. Maddox Development LLC is the owner and is proposing the changes to Metro Planning and MDHA for review. In 2014 there was a major exterior update renovation to the structure.

Monell's used to have a Cafe there in the lower floor when i started work downtown back in 2000.   I had a week of training in that building, and the smell of the cooking was very distracting.   I ended up eating lunch there every day and I probably gained 10 lbs that week.

• Haha 3