Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

5 hours ago, markhollin said:

First Baptist Church expansion (3 stories) update.  Signage starting to be mounted.

Looking NW from 6th Ave. South, 1/2 block north of Demonbreun:

First Baptist, July 25, 2020, 2.jpg

Looking NE from McGavock St., 1/2 block east of 7th Ave. South:

First Baptist, July 25, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking SW from intersection of Broadway and 6th Ave. South

First Baptist, July 25, 2020, 3.jpg

Another valuable piece of property not getting any tax revenue.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

14 minutes ago, ruraljuror said:

To be clear, I think it's probably a good thing and  the right policy to give churches tax-exempt status. That said, in exchange for that status, I do think there should be limits on how much the church (or any other non-profit organization) should be able to pay their leaders so that people can't enrich themselves on the back of tax-exempt donations, but I digress.  With regard to property taxes, I also don't think it would be a bad idea to apply some portion of back taxes that were forgone in the present if/when the property is ever sold for a profit so that way church leaders aren't tempted to get into the real estate and/or land banking business with an anti-competitive advantage. 

I agree with this perspective.

• Like 2

This is not just a state & local issue this is a federal issue. They are protected, so if you dont like that churches, synagogues, mosques and non profits do not pay taxes, then call your congressperson and senator, BUT you will not get anywhere.

Non profits are not only religious institutions, there are some hospitals, community organizations that do great work for many communities around the nation, food banks, etc., so you have to remember what you do to one you have to do to all.

BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU ASK FOR!

• Like 2

On 8/2/2020 at 1:50 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Churches and non profits do not pay taxes, and I do not have a problem with that. They contribute to the community in many other ways.

As long as they do contribute in many ways, charitable donations, clothes pantries, homeless shelters, etc...I really don't have a problem with that either.  On the other hand, MANY of the mega churches do not contribute little , if any, but have super wealthy ministers, coffee shops, full scale work out facilities, stage political rallies, etc. and we tax payers do contribute to them having free fire protection, police protection, garbage pickup, etc.  My point is I do not personally want to subsidize these and maybe there should be some formula to at a very minimum have some tax contribution to pay for the services they get from the city.  If you drive up Hillsboro Rd from 440 toward Green Hills, count the amount of property occupied by churches, other than a few homes around Golf Club, the right side of Hillsboro is all church untaxed property within a few properties from Green Hills Mall. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There could be zoning where non-profit status is guaranteed in percentages, zoning can do all kinds of things. 

Though not sure what the benefit would be other than, giving us more developments to talk about, but look at Lexington, KY, all the horse farms have had an effect on how the city has developed. 

Another large site (5 acres) that includes a 77,500 sq. ft. warehouse has sold for $7.1 million in MetroCenter at 210 Cumberland Bend. Dore Frog LLC is the buyer.  Unclear what their intentions are.  This plot is immediately north of two proposed residential developments (The Duke II with 192 units, and Wood Partners with 300+ units).  This very well could be another one in the making.  It faces the Cumberland River to the east.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/commercial-real-estate/article/21142582/metrocenter-warehouse-sells-for-71m

Screen Shot 2020-08-06 at 1.59.34 PM.png

• Like 4

On 8/4/2020 at 2:36 PM, GreenHillsBoy said:

My point is I do not personally want to subsidize these and maybe there should be some formula to at a very minimum have some tax contribution to pay for the services they get from the city. 

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that you are opposed to the concept of individuals and/or institutions receiving benefits from the government without contributing anything to the government in return, correct?  Because you don't like the fact that you pay taxes and this other party gets the benefit of those taxes, but they don't pay anything and so you don't get any benefit, right?  You're opposed to that type of arrangement,  is that what you're saying?

Edited by Armacing

12 hours ago, Armacing said:

So if I understand you correctly, you're saying that you are opposed to the concept of individuals and/or institutions receiving benefits from the government without contributing anything to the government in return, correct?  Because you don't like the fact that you pay taxes and this other party gets the benefit of those taxes, but they don't pay anything and so you don't get any benefit, right?  You're opposed to that type of arrangement,  is that what you're saying?

It sort of the same as saying I dont have kids, so I dont want to pay that portion of taxes that go to schools. Same difference.

1 hour ago, Armacing said:

Yes, I think that's the point Smeagolsfree was making.

That is the same point with non profits, the benefit may not help you directly but it benefits the overall community. But the point is mute. No one can change the status of non profits but the federal government as they are protected under federal statutes. That filters down to state and local levels. Again what you do to one you have to do to all.