Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

21 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

We know definitively that this cannot be light frame wood construction due to its height.  Here's to hoping for mass timber though...it's got the look of it.  Do a concrete podium for the garage and the pool and let the tower be mass timber?  Fingers crossed.

I agree with you. Not only for the reason you mention, but because this company just does not do timber structures of that nature. I am just looking at the history of what they have done in the past and I do not think they will change the model now.

I am unsure of the cost difference between the all timber (cross laminated timber) structures and concrete, but I think the all timber cost are about 16 to 29% more expensive than reinforced concrete and with a residential building, you tend to build cheaper.

Room at the Inn has purchased the .29 acre plot at 617 7th Ave. South for $3.05 million. The site is adjacent to their complex, and features to 1899-era brick structures as well as a circa 1966 building, all with cumulative square footage of 10,700 sq. ft.  The building is zones for up to 11 stories of for residential, retail, and restaurant purposes.  No word on what Room at the Inn's plans are for the property.

More at The Nashville Post here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21143185/sobro-property-near-third-man-sells-for-3m

617 7th Ave South, Sept 3, 2020, site.png

A conceptual rendering of how an 11 story structure could fit on the site (not an official plan):

617 7th Ave South, Sept 3, 2020, render.png

This screen snot from Smeagolfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

617 7th Ave South, Sept 3, 2020, site map.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

22 hours ago, CandyAisles said:

We know definitively that this cannot be light frame wood construction due to its height.  Here's to hoping for mass timber though...it's got the look of it.  Do a concrete podium for the garage and the pool and let the tower be mass timber?  Fingers crossed.

Help me understand why the tower should be mass timber instead of concrete and steel?  Not being critical of the idea.  Just trying to understand why a timber structure seems to be more desirable for some of the posters.

10 minutes ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Help me understand why the tower should be mass timber instead of concrete and steel?  Not being critical of the idea.  Just trying to understand why a timber structure seems to be more desirable for some of the posters.

A lot of people like mass timber for the speed of construction and being an environmental friendly product. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, smeagolsfree said:

I am unsure of the cost difference between the all timber (cross laminated timber) structures and concrete, but I think the all timber cost are about 16 to 29% more expensive than reinforced concrete and with a residential building, you tend to build cheaper.

Timber is more expensive, but as CandyAisles mentioned, you save on the labor and on the building delivery time. Alot of the education materials out there on timber projects are showing an uptick in material costs, but a drastic reduction in labor and construction time.

Another side note, in talking to a smaller contractor who works north of the city, they have seen a 38% price jump on timber type products over the course of the pandemic. . 

• Thanks 2

The Harvey Hotel will be the name of the converted former Harvey's Dept. Store building at 530 Church.  The 7 story structure was originally erected in 1894.  The 2nd, 4th, and 5th floors are being repurposed into short-term rental units.  A $900,000 permit has been issued for the work. The 3rd and 7th floors will eventually be converted as well. The 7th floor will also have a penthouse and rooftop patio. Tony Giarratana and Dan Maddox are partnering on the project.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21143219/downtown-building-str-project-finish-eyed-for-spring

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 2.25.23 PM.png

• Like 3

Randee Rogers (4 & 5 stories, 100 units) update:  Up to 3rd floor on south end, elevator shaft on north end underway.

Looking west from intersection of Rosa L. Parks Blvd. and Taylor St:

Randee Rogers, Sept 6, 2020, 1.jpg

Looking south from Rosa L. Parks Blvd. at Cheatham Place:

Randee Rogers, Sept 6, 2020, 2.jpg

Looking SE from intersection of Cheatham Place andDelta Ave:

Randee Rogers, Sept 6, 2020, 3.jpg

Looking NE from intersection of Taylor Place and Delta Ave:

Randee Rogers, Sept 6, 2020, 4.jpg

• Like 3

North Lights (210 family units, 90 townhomes, 16 single family cottages, 11 single family homes, and 25,000 sq. ft. of retail/restaurant space) at 2300 Old Matthews Rd (just north of West Trinity Lane) has been granted 2 permits worth $28.9 million for Elmington Construction to get the build underway.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/construction/article/21143230/permit-patrol-8-september-2020

• Like 1