Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

6 minutes ago, nashville born said:

Is there a thread for this or somewhere I can go to read about it?  Not familiar and would like to be.

https://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/topic/119366-voorhees-towers-20-16-stories-of-residential-rehab-of-old-industrial-buildings-into-officeretail-26-acres-700-8th-ave-south/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Nashville's obsession with tiny useless plots of grass will be something I never understand.   JUST MOVE IT UP TO THE SIDEWALK!   It's like we are so close to doing urbanism properly, but we just can't quite yet give up that suburban comfort blanket that drove us into doing things like mandating parking be placed in front of all buildings in Midtown up until not that long ago.  Perhaps it's just a bit of a learning process... I should be happy that we're moving in the right direction in the first place.  

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 1

This is supposed to be a buffer between traffic and the sidewalk. The need for this in residential neighborhoods and other areas is a little baffling IMO. I think this may have started under the Berry administration, but could have been earlier.

The crazy thing is they have been requiring it in some areas that are urban in nature and is a waste. The problem is that many homeowners choose not to keep that area up too or if the grass dies it simply becomes a muddy mess. I think too it was to have been an area for the mail boxes to go, but the mail delivery service is not what it use to be either. Frankly I would be for Metro to require large mail box stations at each of these subdivisions now instead of mail boxes sticking out in every direction. People have no idea how to install them or what the regulations are. Metro would be better served to have a area set aside for those mail box stations than to have the stupid strip.

• Like 1

I assumed @BnaBreaker was talking about the grassy areas between the buildings and the sidewalk.    You don't really want the sidewalk right up against the curb.     The small right of way between the sidewalk and the curb acts as a buffer between walkers and traffic, car doors, etc.      I don't know this neighborhood and am guessing the developer did not want to go through a rezoning process to change the existing setbacks.     In this instance, the lack of any landscaping in front of the units exacerbates the length of the setback and makes for a sad, bleak streetscape.      

Harper Cove Flats, Jan 17, 2021.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1