Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

5 minutes ago, natethegreat said:

Apologies, I was looking at the first picture in that article which appears to be a different project. This one looks pretty solid.

Gotcha. I believe that is the residential project out in Bellevue that will be situated behind the Home Depot (across the river too) just off I-40

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

All of me knows why I didn’t. No money. I knew where to buy, as a matter of fact someone I knew asked me where to buy about 10 years ago for a good investment and I told them anywhere in SoBro or Between West End & Charlotte closer to the interstate and he didn’t take my advice. The first area has already taken off and the second area is about to explode. The folks that bought on Dickerson and sold early are now very sorry they did. Land prices have not hit the premium yet.

He thought I was a nut case. I told him you will be sorry. I have never had the money to invest, but I sure knew where t go in this town after watching and learning on this board for a few years. At the time 2010 was the perfect time to buy. Some folks were afraid and deciding to dump property. Big mistake!

In 2010 one of my investment clients, who was worth $5M to $10M, asked me why I bought a condo in The Gulch.  I told him why and I told him the best thing he could do with his extra cash was to buy the office building he was renting downtown.  He had lots of extra cash because he was still nervous about the Great Recession / Global Financial Crisis.  His landlord had asked him if he wanted to buy the building.  He would probably be up 10X today.

• Like 2

Tailor Nashville will be opening a new permanent location in the recently finished 620 Taylor structure in Germantown.  the 2,000 sq. ft. restaurant will feature a South Asian American menu. Pfeffer Torode is the architect, and opening is expected by early 2022.

More at NBJ here:

https://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2021/08/20/vivek-surti-tailor-restaurant-relocation-taylor-st.html

• Like 4

1 hour ago, markhollin said:

Capitol Hotel expansion (5 stories, 29 rooms) update: new staircase/elevator shaft rising.

Looking east from Polk Ave., 1/4 block south of Union St:

Capitol Hotel, Aug 22, 2021.jpeg

I really wish they had demolished the entire building and replaced with a new design. That thing will always look like a 1960s motel with a thick layer of stage makeup and a bad wig!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

Nashville leaders say downtown has enough pedal vehicles, and ask for new permits to be denied (32 new ones are being requested).

More at The Tennessean here:

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/davidson/2021/08/25/downtown-nashville-new-permits-pedal-vehicles-could-be-denied/5584868001/

This shouldn't be a permanent stance. Until the state lets us restrict buses, tractors, and rolling hot tubs, I don't mind limiting numbers. But once we can get those off the road, I  support getting more tourists back on good ol' fashioned pedal taverns!

• Like 2

On 8/24/2021 at 9:24 AM, donNdonelson2 said:

I really wish they had demolished the entire building and replaced with a new design. That thing will always look like a 1960s motel with a thick layer of stage makeup and a bad wig!

I couldn't imagine a more Nashville building. Also, it's much better for the environment to reuse existing buildings than it is to demolish and build anew. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

Cynically, TDOT will almost certainly only be building back a new bridge resembling the old. I would think Metro would be having to kick in money for anything grander and we would have heard about it.

1 hour ago, downtownresident said:

From the document linked by @PruneTracy:

The decorative bridge rail mentioned will probably take the form of the TDOT "classic" rail. I can't find a photo right away, here is the standard drawing. You'll recognize it when you see it.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/roadway-design/documents/standard_drawings/structure_standard_drawings/current/new-structures/STD11-2.pdf

The decorative lighting will probably take a similar form as the existing lighting on the bridge.

It's possible the bridge gets decorative bents/piers like Demonbreun Street (bent encasement is one of the options mentioned in the TIR) but I would not expect it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1