Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

4 hours ago, Baronakim said:

I hope that the replacement is not just the prosaic POS that Metro replaced the Church Street they built in the 1990s.  IMO Gresham's designers are not known for exciting and innovative results.  I would really like some 21st century design.  Remember  all the drooling we had over the initial Gulch pedestrian bridge proposals which sadly have had NO bridge good or bad ever built?  At least the Demonbreun replacement had some clever railroad inspired motifs   For newer forum members here are some photos of the rejected proposals.  Hopefully Nashville can get a bridge that is more than a boring elevated street.  All of the fantastic new buildings deserve an equally fantastic bridge design.

gjhfgu.jpg

cvdfdhd.jpg

fdtrt.jpg

dryhrey.jpg

dgr.jpg

dfgdfg.jpg

download.jpg

This would be incredibly favorable, but I serious doubt it. I know the image below is generic section for the proposal, but if TDOT was planning any form of specialty structure they prolly would've included some language to highlight that.

image.thumb.png.dc9732e79cc17eeaeaac1be952825848.png

Additionally, the cost estimate in the PDF that @PruneTracyprovided indicates approximately $23,800,000 for the structures of the bridge and I honestly don't see a crazy amount of special design coming out of that cost.

43 minutes ago, PruneTracy said:

The decorative bridge rail mentioned will probably take the form of the TDOT "classic" rail. I can't find a photo right away, here is the standard drawing. You'll recognize it when you see it.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/tdot/roadway-design/documents/standard_drawings/structure_standard_drawings/current/new-structures/STD11-2.pdf

The decorative lighting will probably take a similar form as the existing lighting on the bridge.

It's possible the bridge gets decorative bents/piers like Demonbreun Street (bent encasement is one of the options mentioned in the TIR) but I would not expect it.

Nothing prettier than a rural highway bridge in the highly visble, highly trafficd, area of the city. :tw_joy::tw_bawling::tw_no_mouth:

• Sad 2

42 minutes ago, CandyAisles said:

I’d expect a heavy emphasis on pedestrian safety out of this project. I really don’t care for bridges to be overly ornate…I’d rather bridges be vessels for the betterment of the urban environment at all costs. We got decorative train pillars on the Demonbreun Street viaduct…but we’d all give that up for some extra sidewalk/bike width on that stretch.

Very true. We are at least getting 10’ wide sidewalks on both sides and a 4’ furnishing zone on the south side of the bridge. Find it interesting they wouldn’t do that on the north side as well with the highwoods proposal set to interact with the viaduct. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

Very true. We are at least getting 10’ wide sidewalks on both sides and a 4’ furnishing zone on the south side of the bridge. Find it interesting they wouldn’t do that on the north side as well with the highwoods proposal set to interact with the viaduct. 

The north side is the one with the proposed furnishing zone. I would expect the reason TDOT didn't call for a furnishing zone on the south side is that a portion of Union Station abuts the bridge.

• Like 3

On 8/28/2021 at 1:53 PM, samsonh said:

Kind of surprised we haven’t seen more discussion on the mess downtown Broadway has become lately. Fights are happening regularly. Heavily intoxicated people straining police resources. The situation seems to be getting worse.

Possible solution is to have more arrests and harsh fines. 

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Possible solution is to have more arrests and harsh fines. 

A downtown resident, and friend, attended a building meeting with the police to discuss residents' concerns. The police were saying that their resources are so "strained" that they can only put 4 officers on Broadway on the busiest nights. The residents felt that there was little manipulation going on in trying to angle for more police funding by putting fewer officers downtown. Just passing on what I was told by a frustrated friend.

Edited by Nash_12South
  • Thanks 1

On 8/30/2021 at 3:21 PM, markhollin said:

A 2.3 acre site at 801 Cowan Street, adjacent to River North, has been offered for sale at an undisclosed asking price. This will be directly east of the Oracle Campus Phase II.  The current owner, and unlisted LLC, bought the land, which is mostly a vacant lot with a small non-historic 1 story cinder block structure on it,  for $800,000 in 2014. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/river-north-property-offered-for-sale/article_389ca606-09af-11ec-9536-6ffd75674e5e.html

Screen Shot 2021-08-30 at 2.16.46 PM.png

Look at the skyline portion of this shot and allow your imagination to run wild.  Specifically, imagine the reason you can't see the top of 505 is because it's 800 ft tall!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, nashville born said:

Look at the skyline portion of this shot and allow your imagination to run wild.  Specifically, imagine the reason you can't see the top of 505 is because it's 800 ft tall!

:tw_love:

Realistically, with it being zoned IG today, what could a developer expect to build on this lot?

11 minutes ago, andywildman said:

:tw_love:

Realistically, with it being zoned IG today, what could a developer expect to build on this lot?

Any developer who wants to redevelop to something non-industrial will need to re-zone. That process should be relatively easy given what's about to be built across the street. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I don't remember the name of the proposed development mentioned in this article, yet I recall  thinking about how incredible it would have been had it happened.  Wonder what might be in store for this spot now...???  My mind is jumping based on a comment @smeagolsfree made on another string about how the Gulch is about to grow.   Even though this lot technically seems outside the Gulch, it's close enough.  Magic eight ball, we need your great power!

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/sobro-site-under-contract-to-be-sold/article_af05a3bc-0b3d-11ec-a11a-cf83a9eb00c0.html

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nashville born said:

Yes, that's it!  Thanks, Mark!  That would have been major!

Another thought...imagining this sitting there with the 2nd & Peabody and 500 2nd Ave. proposals rising to link it.

Anybody have any idea who the buyer might be/how big of a project will go on these 4 acres? Please don’t tell me a double wide 5 story stick frame

• Like 2

Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers will open its 2nd Nashville location at 210 Broadway, occupying the first two floors of the building that most recently was home to The Nash Collection. The full structure is known as The Baxter Building and was erected in 1900. Kimley-Horn is handling the design.  Permits have been applied for. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/retail/baton-rouge-chicken-eatery-chain-taps-broadway-location/article_b8b5da66-0cce-11ec-9d36-87e9b0d8d4ad.html

210 Broadway is the storefront at the. center of this view:

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 2.14.37 PM.png

• Like 4

Thanks to Cedric Dent at the Post he was able to run this down at my request. Cedric did a great job with this one! I have known about this for two years and they have been very coy about giving up info. This will look a lot better than what was there.

Someone can update the map now, please!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, markhollin said:

The Nashville Rescue Mission Women's Campus will have a new, 3 story, 348 bed, $20 million home on the 2.6 acre site at 1716 Rosa L. Parks Blvd where their temporary facility has been located for years.  This will be able to serve. over twice as many women as the current set-up. It should be finished by contractor T.W. Frierson by mid-2023.

The new facility will offer a larger kitchen and a cafeteria with a seating capacity of 156 (the previous building offered 96). The building will feature a significantly larger chapel, which will seat 375 compared to that of the Rosa Parks site (which accommodated 225). In addition, the next building will provide 20 family units as opposed to the original eight.

More behind The Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/women-s-rescue-mission-slated-for-20m-campus/article_17be32aa-0cd0-11ec-8a8d-c7a74198be10.html

Nashville Rescue Mission Women's Campus, Sept 3, 2021, render.png

Nashville Rescue Mission Women's Campus, Sept 3, 2021, diagram 1.png

Nashville Rescue Mission Women's Campus, Sept 3, 2021, diagram 2.png

Nashville Rescue Mission Women's Campus, Sept 3, 2021, diagram 3.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Nashville Rescue Mission Women's Campus, Sept 3, 2021, site map.png

I think this is the best news I've read, all week! Thanks @smeagolsfreeand Cedric Dent! 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

I think Mark had posted it somewhere from a Post article three post above this one.

I just looked back at the Tennesseean article which has now been corrected to give the address for the new Raising Cane’s as 212 Broadway (so NOT into the Redneck Riviera location). Apparently I had overlooked Mark’s posting of this news earlier…with so much news these days it’s hard to take it all in, eh?

edit-I notice that Mark’s post shows the address as 210 Broadway, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the Tennessean got their information wrong for a second time! 212 Broadway is the FedEx Office store.

Edited by donNdonelson2
Added comment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1