Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 minute ago, MLBrumby said:

Pardon my ignorance guys, but what was the Bastion fire and how is that linked to the Sporting Club? 

Bastion and Downtown Sporting Club are both owned by Strategic Hospitality.  Aside from the ownership, there's no link. Bastion's fire started in their trashcan behind the restaurant. I would say either someone was smoking and flicked their butt into the trash, or one of the dumpster divers in the neighborhood possibly started it. 

As for P Park/Downtown Sporting Club closing, you could see it coming. They've been pretty dead since the pandemic started. I enjoyed going to both places, but I can't fault them for turning a $20 million profit in 4ish years. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Gotcha. So while not 100% accurate there is definitely a connection. On a sidenote, Strategic Hospitality's (owner of Paradise Park and Bastion) website is completely down. Here is a breakdown of their properties in Nashville (per their LinkedIn)

Properties include:

• Paradise Park, a kitschy honky tonk on Lower Broadway
• The Patterson House, a sophisticated speakeasy-style cocktail lounge specializing in hand-crafted artisan cocktails
• Aerial, a glass-encased rooftop private event space overlooking downtown Nashville
• Merchants Restaurant, located in a historic building on the corner of 4th and Broadway in downtown Nashville 
• The Catbird Seat, an intimate, interactive and chef-run restaurant 
• Pinewood Social, a third space, bar and restaurant with six bowling lanes and an outdoor space complete with two dipping pools
• Le Sel, located in Midtown, is a fresh take on French cuisine  
• Bastion, a cocktail bar and hangout in Wedgewood Houston
• The Band Box, a 4,000 square- foot outdoor bar and restaurant located in the right field of First Tennessee Park, home of the Nashville sounds

• Thanks 2

On 1/14/2022 at 7:58 AM, markhollin said:

Harvey Hotel at Cornerstone Square Hotel (rehab of 1894-era former dept. store into 36 room boutique hotel) update: nearing completion.

Looking NE from intersection of Church St. and 6th Ave. North:

OMG Harvey's so glad the building is preserved. Would go shopping there a lot from primary school with mom through graduation. Fred Harvey was who bankrolled the fab Nativity display every year at the Parthenon and commissioned the figures in the display. Question in regards to the Rutledge Flats photo. It is my understanding here in Houston that a stick frame structure can rise 5 floors with fire resistant lumber, 4 floors with regular lumber. Is that a national code, if not does that code apply there? We have scads of block apartments over a wide area and a few that rise 8~9 stories with metal framing. When I moved here in '89 there were virtually no 4~4+ story block apartments, lots of 2~3 story complexes plus residential high rises at that time. Just about all of the 2~3 story complexes inside the 610 loop on the west semiloop area have been torn down.

• Like 1

147397347_RutledgeFlatsJan920222.jpeg.79

9 hours ago, dragonfly said:

OMG Harvey's so glad the building is preserved. Would go shopping there a lot from primary school with mom through graduation. Fred Harvey was who bankrolled the fab Nativity display every year at the Parthenon and commissioned the figures in the display. Question in regards to the Rutledge Flats photo. It is my understanding here in Houston that a stick frame structure can rise 5 floors with fire resistant lumber, 4 floors with regular lumber. Is that a national code, if not does that code apply there? We have scads of block apartments over a wide area and a few that rise 8~9 stories with metal framing. When I moved here in '89 there were virtually no 4~4+ story block apartments, lots of 2~3 story complexes plus residential high rises at that time. Just about all of the 2~3 story complexes inside the 610 loop on the west semiloop area have been torn down.

To your question, I don't know exactly, but looking at these photos of the Rutledge, I'd guess there's something to the 5-floor limit to stick frame. In the case of this building, first three floors are concrete and metal. And I'm pretty sure that's not because it's parking (It doesn't appear to be anyway).  

• Like 1