Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

14 hours ago, samsonh said:

This is a bizarre post. 

I do not know how much truth there is about the corruption, however there are a lot of folks that would rather rot on the streets than spend a night in the mission. I walk a lot downtown and around the mission and I am none too shy or scared to talk to these folks. Some are grateful, but a lot will tell you how they really feel when you press them. You can now buy vodka on Sundays, so that is not as big of deal now. 

The folks are still very wary of people poking around and asking questions. Some will open up, but others will clam up pretty quickly. Some have heard the mission is moving and others say no way. Mixed Bag!

• Like 2

On 3/23/2022 at 6:50 AM, smeagolsfree said:

I do not know how much truth there is about the corruption, however there are a lot of folks that would rather rot on the streets than spend a night in the mission. I walk a lot downtown and around the mission and I am none too shy or scared to talk to these folks. Some are grateful, but a lot will tell you how they really feel when you press them. You can now buy vodka on Sundays, so that is not as big of deal now. 

The folks are still very wary of people poking around and asking questions. Some will open up, but others will clam up pretty quickly. Some have heard the mission is moving and others say no way. Mixed Bag!

I've spoken with several homeless people who say that the Rescue Mission is not a good place.  While researching this type of attitude, I found an article written by someone at the Nashville Rescue Mission explaining why some homeless say this.  There are two main reasons.  First, there are many homeless who are stubbornly independent and do not want anyone to put boundaries on them.  So they will badmouth the Mission because boundaries are put on them there.  Second, anyone who is addicted to alcohol and drugs won't get themselves in a place where they can't get their drug of choice, so they won't go to the Mission.

It makes sense that I can't trust the stories told by the obviously drunk homeless man who approached me to ask for money at 6:30 AM on a Tuesday.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

I've spoken with several homeless people who say that the Rescue Mission is not a good place.  While researching this type of attitude, I found an article written by someone at the Nashville Rescue Mission explaining why some homeless say this.  There are two main reasons.  First, there are many homeless who are stubbornly independent and do not want anyone to put boundaries on them.  So they will badmouth the Mission because boundaries are put on them there.  Second, anyone who is addicted to alcohol and drugs won't get themselves in a place where they can't get their drug of choice, so they won't go to the Mission.

It makes sense that I can't trust the stories told by the obviously drunk homeless man who approached me to ask for money at 6:30 AM on a Tuesday.

I employed a handful of people that would badmouth the mission and it was clear to me that they hated them because they made clear boundaries. All those same people screwed me over by either stealing or acting inappropriate to people. I think the mission does great work for the people that want to truly better themselves. I shed no tears for the people that bite a hand like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr_Bond said:

That may indeed be the case for the homeless man you encountered, but10 years  or more of close observation has convinced me this is not  a common pair of reasons, when I get the same opinion  form homeless who are NOT chronic addicts  or long term homeless.  Just average, hardworking people who ran into a swath of bad luck and are on the street.   I have helped several individuals who absolutely would not set foor in the mission and cooberated the bad stories commonly heard.  I got these individuals off the street into good housing and employment and they did NOT go back on the streets.  I trust their veracity in describing the Mission as a bad place to go.  Room at the Inn and other programs are much safer and  respected.  I don't think your getting an honest view from someone at the Mission writting that article.  I think there might be some doubt as it seems rather selfserving.  At any rate, the Mission need to take the big money and relocate.  Homeless pissing in the landscaping of the St. Regis and all the other high end projects rising there.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Brit_in_Gtown said:

Bottom line is that they are not going anywhere, no matter what is highest and best use for their land.

I can't decide my opinion on this, it feels like the classic "unstoppable force meets immovable object." Given the record-breaking deal this week at 10th and Lea that pushed $20MM/acre, and the Rescue Mission's campus being just over 5 acres, they could easily push $100MM+ for that lot, especially as the roundabout projects fill out. On the other hand, their mission relies on being close to the population they serve, who hang around downtown. Maybe they could cut some deal where they consolidate onto a site with a smaller footprint, I'm not sure. But it definitely feels like a 9-figure check could sway some opinions.

9 hours ago, Brit_in_Gtown said:

This is a development discussion forum, not a social equity forum. Bottom line is that they are not going anywhere, no matter what is highest and best use for their land. Can we please focus on development? 

Sorry, but this IS a develpment issue, social equity or not.  The Mission is adjacent to some of the most expensive  and msot sophisticated projects in the city and affects the perception of out of town visitors of the image of this city.  Your statement that they "are not going anywhere" is your own opinion, unless you are privy to information that others in this forum do not possess.  This is equally an issue to the idiocy of the City Lights view conflict  which simarly has a negative impact on important adjacent 40 story project proposals.  Aspects of negative social factors, I assure you  are  valid issues to developers and architecture of any site.   We do have zoning issues that prohibit location of uses  to the proximity of schools and churches, don't we?   That is a social equity issue, is it not?  If the discussion of the negative issues of the Mission disturb you, Brit_In-Gtown, scroll to another thread.  I do believe that there is a gracious plentitude of news of specifici concern to Germantown to pique your interest.  I once worked personally in the Neuhoff slaughterhouse and there were an adequacy of negative issues dealing with that site both when it was an active  abittoir and as a decades old rotting industrial relic.  The HISTORY of a site, past and present, IS a valid topic for this forum IMO.  How many of the members of this forum are not aware that the Mission site was first a major Sears and Roebuck store before it became the Mission for example?  We post old photos of buildings all the time, don't we, and no one questions their relevance to the current use of a site.

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I lived in One Metrocenter for almost 2 years when it was first built back in 2016/2017.  Loved it because the rents were quite cheap for being that close to downtown and the quick interstate access meant we could be anywhere in the general downtown area in 10 minutes or less on the weekends.  Definitely not much walkability, but still nice being so close to city.

• Like 2