Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

3 hours ago, CenterHill said:

As has been discussed on this forum many times, I give no credence to claims that any historic building is "beyond saving".    Renovation might be beyond the budget of the current owner, but it's certainly possible for a property like this to be renovated and incorporated into a profitable development.   That will take a developer with vision and access to capital.    I expect there is no historic zoning protection for this particular building and it would be a tragedy if Room in the Inn were to raze it.   

Just because a building is old doesn’t mean that it needs to be “ saved” if it has no historical value.  Remember the right of the property owners, they are the only ones who ultimately have to make the decision. It’s their money and intended use that makes what’s right to do. If that bothers some of you, then pony up your monies and buy up every old building you would like to “ preserve “ and do as you like with it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Sip SoBro Craft Beer and Coffee will be a new taproom/cafe at 1 floor, 2,090 sq. ft., circa 1946 brick structure at 523 4th Ave. South.

Sip SoBro will feature about 25 beer taps, mainly with lagers and ales made by local breweries. The Kemps, who have dabbled in home beer brewing, will team with Black Press Coffee, which is based in Hendersonville, for the non-alcoholic beverages and food items.

The Kemps have enlisted Daniels and Chandler Architects to handle design work, with Historic Buildings the contractor. Both companies are based in Nashville.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/downtown-building-set-for-beer-taproom-caf/article_681fb6fa-f655-11ec-b1a7-0b3854f76eaf.html

523 4th Ave South, SipSoBro, June 28, 2022, site.png

1693819517_5234thAveSouthSipSoBroJune282022sitemap.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Why yes, those of us lacking the capital to compete with deep pocket developers should have no say in the nature of our community. How silly of us.

It's the developer's community too.  Each person gets one vote on what the community looks like and that is what they do on their own property.  Then, after everyone is done bringing their own unique vision of good architecture into reality on their land, we can all step back and see what the aggregate "nature of our community" looks like.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Historically significant or not, I think the city should be saving/preserving/reusing buildings with any semblance of historical architecture. We need something to offset the deluge of glass. As much as I love all the development here, it does yield somewhat of a sterile atmosphere compared to cities that embrace adaptive reuse (Memphis, New Orleans, etc.). Just my two cents.

I do agree the city should look at and work with property owners on preserving architecturally significant buildings. That being said though, I'm not really seeing that much architectural significance with the discussed building. Saving something because it is old does not always equal a good save. Sometimes it is just hoarding lol. It is brick masonry like many structures in town, there is nothing ground breaking about the structure.

Now this building is deemed "worthy of conservation" according to the parcel viewer. We all know that this designation does not mean much as these properties are razed consistently, but historic at least has it on a least. 

Bos2Nash, that’s what I was trying to get to in my post. You just have a better way with words :tw_lol: If a building has a true historical or architectural value, by all means let’s do what can be done to hold onto it. But just because it’s old , doesn’t automatically mean it’s worth saving. 

On 6/22/2022 at 12:00 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Way Back Wednesday (disclaimer: I may have posted this before)

Back to a time when cowboys ruled Broadway, not bachelorettes! (For those of you who were not around in the 90s, these guys were made from trash/junk and inhabited a vacant lot between 4th & 5th on the north side of the street.)

ECD6A0E8-193C-4522-9A4A-27926CBA1933.jpeg

I remember those! I had TOTALLY forgotten about them. 

On 6/16/2022 at 4:37 PM, markhollin said:

Update on Ballpark Village (8 stories, 359 units, 16,000 sq. ft. of ground level retail, 474 capacity internal garage) at NashvilleNowNext:

https://nashvillenownext.com/2022/06/16/ballpark-village-to-bring-outfield-apartments-to-first-horizon-park-in-nashville/

Ballpark Village, June 16, 2022.png

Ballpark Village, June 16, 2022, 2.png

Ballpark Village, June 16, 2022, diagram.png

Does anyone know if there is any plan to re-open this stretch of the greenway to the public? I was trying to cut through here while walking my dog when I was in town a few weeks ago but discovered that it was blocked off by a large, permanent fence at the end of 4th Ave N. Don't get me wrong, I love the ballpark and the surrounding development, but it's just mind boggling that they were allowed to completely cut off the greenway for no good reason.

33 minutes ago, Nathan_in_DC said:

Does anyone know if there is any plan to re-open this stretch of the greenway to the public? I was trying to cut through here while walking my dog when I was in town a few weeks ago but discovered that it was blocked off by a large, permanent fence at the end of 4th Ave N. Don't get me wrong, I love the ballpark and the surrounding development, but it's just mind boggling that they were allowed to completely cut off the greenway for no good reason.

That is being fixed by this development. It should be fully open once the development is complete. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Nashville Cliff said:

Why yes, those of us lacking the capital to compete with deep pocket developers should have no say in the nature of our community. How silly of us.

Correct, you are 100% right that you should have no say. Get investors and get control. All the developers have investors, it's no different than if you have investors. 

• Sad 1

The Nell (5-8 stories, 78 condos, internal garage) update: windows being set; some skin going on.

Looking west from intersection of 7th Ave. South and Middleton St:

Nell, June 26, 2022, 1.jpeg

Looking north from Allison St., 1/2 block east of 8th Ave. South:

Nell, June 26, 2022, 2.jpeg

Looking east from Gleaves St. at 9th Ave. South:

Nell, June 26, 2022, 3.jpeg

• Like 2