Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

A screenshot from the June 8 joint metro council budget and finance and planning and zoning committee…

As you can tell this takes into account the existing stadium location vacated and the new one built where the parking lot is currently located. Also shows 2nd Ave realigned from KVB to the railroad and then becomes N 1st Street (and then Dickerson) near the Clarion. Heading from Top Golf and Cowan south, the new East Bank Boulevard which will become S 1st St cuts through the existing stadium and continues under KVB and through the PSC site. 

This is still conceptual but was presented earlier this month...

964CF23C-02F0-41C8-9499-4010CC375299.thumb.png.9b29a6d551327a6bf5b6c3fb2708b7ee.png

Edited by Logan McCoy
  • Like 3

A 3.08 million permit has been issued for the the adaptive re-use construction of the former Novatech manufacturing site for the Audi Downtown dealership on .96 acre at 15-21 Lindlsey Ave. that will be operated by Sonic Automotive. Progressive AE is the architect; Rise Construction is the contractor.

More behind the NashvillePost paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/image-released-for-audi-digital-automotive-showroom/article_9691f90a-f7f7-11ec-bb52-5330020a98be.html

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 7.32.56 AM.png

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

Is it me or is wooden decking and furniture an odd choice? Seems really incongruous with the setting and the building it's attached to

I think the entire design of the plaza renovation distracts from the dramatically stylish architectural design of the building and its inspiration from the Egyptian revival church across the street. I am NOT a fan of this new look!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, donNdonelson2 said:

I think the entire design of the plaza renovation distracts from the dramatically stylish architectural design of the building and its inspiration from the Egyptian revival church across the street. I am NOT a fan of this new look!

I agree. Hopefully, it will function better than it looks!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

Is it me or is wooden decking and furniture an odd choice? Seems really incongruous with the setting and the building it's attached to

Agreed. While I do like the softer and more quaint feeling the wood gives, it does seem out of place and doesn’t seem to blend very well. 

• Like 1

On 7/3/2022 at 11:40 PM, UrbanWes03 said:

Agreed. While I do like the softer and more quaint feeling the wood gives, it does seem out of place and doesn’t seem to blend very well. 

I get all of this and sort of agree. But at the same time,  424 Church 's outdated  looks is a late 1980's time capsule,  so I would rather this than some bad attempt to emulate the vaguely Egyptianesque-Modern look.  It would've looked like the Luxor hotel in Vegas....:tw_smirk:

• Like 1

128 2nd Ave. North (3 stories, 42,520 sq. ft., circa 1900) has been purchased for $28.5 million ($670 per sq. ft.) by a partnership of The Ardent Companies and Jeffrey Welk.  It was last purchased only 7 months ago for $21 million after the George Jones Museum/Bar closed down.

Ardent and Welk have finalized a lease with an unnamed tenant that will occupy the entire just-bought building, with the specific plans and name of that tenant to be announced at a later date. Ardent and Welk also have landed a loan valued at $19.5 million from Georgia-based Colony Bank.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/ex-george-jones-museum-building-fetches-28-5m/article_3153f3f0-fd5f-11ec-8859-f318cf780042.html

Screen Shot 2022-07-06 at 3.03.09 PM.png

• Like 1

Just drew one out of the hat: Watauga House, no vacancy. I think that is what you will find in most of the smaller properties and the bigger ones are priced so high, it makes your head spin. 

The downtown partnership is so out of touch with reality!

Placemaker Premier SoBro is all STR now I think as well. They need to update the list.

814 Church St. (Sonder STR, 6 stories, 45 units, circa 1935) has been purchased for $25.5 million by  Sonder Dovertail LLC out of Miami. The former owner was Speedwagon Enterprises, which paid $13.75 million for it as well as the lots around 801 Church 4 years ago.  They then sold those latter lots to Tony Giarrantana for $12 million in 2021, and he is currently building a 38 story residential tower there. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/nashville-yards-area-building-sells-for-25-5m/article_23d0906c-fd55-11ec-b3b6-f3613cc29354.html

62c5d049afb96.webp

• Like 4

On 7/3/2022 at 10:22 AM, Nashvillain said:

I was never a fan of the concept for this very reason.  Something told me it just wouldn't blend well with the building.  It was like they were trying to create a backyard deck and patio experience without any thought to how it connected with the design elements of the building itself.   

• Like 4

On 7/3/2022 at 9:22 AM, Nashvillain said:

14 hours ago, PillowTalk4 said:

I was never a fan of the concept for this very reason.  Something told me it just wouldn't blend well with the building.  It was like they were trying to create a backyard deck and patio experience without any thought to how it connected with the design elements of the building itself.   

While it's "not mine" per se, I still can voice an unsolicited opinion as others have.

The Fifth Third Building was originally the Third National Bank Center, constructed in an early postmodern design 1983-'86.   It incorporates a sense of neo-classical elements (Egyptian Revival) ─ the most salient of these being the tapered freestanding colonnade (forming the north end of the plaza) and pilasters at the base of the structure.   I would have preferred a more monolithic construction with solid stone elements, instead of with the less expensive fabricated construction using stone tiles as cladding.  Its design seems to have been a modern tribute to the Downtown Presbyterian Church, which was built in Egyptian Revival in 1846.   It was built as an expansion of the Third National Bank Building (currently known as the ServiceSource Tower), which opened in 1967 at the NW corner of 4th Ave and Church. St., the site of the original Maxwell House Hotel.

The wooden furnishing fixtures would be better matched to a much more contemporary curtain-wall design structure IMO.  An example of a better fit would be the OneC1ty complex ─ in particular, the TOA (Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance) health center at 8 City Blvd.  The interior of TOA features dimensional hardwood timbers with exposed butcherblock end grain, for steps and landings as well as for benching.

Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance

Edited by rookzie
Tacky syntax; added term "cladding"
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rookzie said:

While it's "not mine" per se, I still can voice an unsolicited opinion as others have.

The Fifth Third Building was originally the Third National Bank Center, constructed in an early postmodern design 1983-'86.   It incorporates a sense of neo-classical elements (Egyptian Revival) ─ the most salient of these being the tapered freestanding colonnade (forming the north end of the plaza) and pilasters at the base of the structure.   I would have preferred a more monolithic construction with solid stone elements, instead of with the less expensive fabricated construction using stone tiles.  Its design seems have been a modern tribute to the Downtown Presbyterian Church, which was built in Egyptian Revival in 1846.   It was build as an expansion of the Third National Bank Building (currently known as the ServiceSource Tower), which opened in 1967 at the NW corner of 4th Ave and Church. St., the site of the original Maxwell House Hotel.

The wooden furnishing fixtures would be better matched to a much more contemporary curtain-wall design structure IMO.  An example of a better fit would be the OneC1ty complex ─ in particular, the TOA (Tennessee Orthopedic Alliance) health center at 8 City Blvd.  The interior of TOA features dimensional hardwood timbers with exposed butcherblock end grain, for steps and landings as well as for benching.

Tennessee Orthopaedic Alliance

What is this forum aside from a dumping ground of unsolicited opinions (or the internet in general)? I appreciate the examples of a more contemporary building where the decking would be a better fit. I was just there last week to treat my fractured elbow! 

I'd like to keep an open mind and see how the new outdoor public space functions and maybe the urban contrast--postmodernism meets contemporary urban chic (?)--will yield some unexpected visual excitement... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nashvillain said:

What is this forum aside from a dumping ground of unsolicited opinions (or the internet in general)? I appreciate the examples of a more contemporary building where the decking would be a better fit. I was just there last week to treat my fractured elbow! 

:o What the heck did you do this time!?

Edited by rookzie
  • Like 1