Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

1 hour ago, titanhog said:

I really scratch my head on why in the world they continue to think that blue metal cladding on the front needs to stay.  There is nothing about this front facade, including the windows, that help this fit into the Lower Broadway “landscape.”  With Garth buying this and putting money into it, I had really hoped they would update the front to look more early 20th century / late 19th Century…but instead, they stick with 1970’s blue metal nonsense.

59 minutes ago, markhollin said:

It was built in 1945, and very well may not have any red brick underneath Might just be  cinder block).  I know as long as I have been here (initial residency in 1982), it has always had that facade.  That being said, I agree that a redesign featuring brick and stonework on the facade would be complimentary to the rest of the street.  And when Garth dropped $48 million for the site, an extra million or two to do that wouldn't seem to be an issue. 

Totally agree, 137%, ad infinitum......

That blue metal cladding always was an atrocity to me  — just downright tacky-@ss, especially for this day and age.  Even if it does happen to be nothing but structural block behind that cladding,  ANYthing other than the current material could be an improvement, except for maybe off-the-wall stuff like cedar shake or clapboard siding.  It might not be so bad, if the weren't corrugated cladding as it is now, and at the VERY least it should have been plain, smooth in finish and texture.  For many decades that front has stuck out like a thumb to the hammer.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MontanaGuy said:

If it's going to be a big blank grey wall it's really going to be ugly.  I hope they do something to spice it up!

It might even become a local tourist attraction, if they do what they did one of the old concrete elevator silos in the Nations some 6+ years ago.

Hire Guido Van Helten to paint a mural of our Ron on each face of that thing and shine spotlights on it at night.

• Like 2

That is a super cool mural over in the nations 

23 minutes ago, rookzie said:

It might even become a local tourist attraction, if they do what they did one of the old concrete elevator silos in the Nations some 6+ years ago.

Hire Guido Van Helten to paint a mural of our Ron on each face of that thing and shine spotlights on it at night.

DJI_0510.JPG

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, rookzie said:

A flat smooth surface with a neutral grey color would be perfect for a large mural or maybe even a few of them!  Of course a painting of Ron would be an excellent choice!  

• Haha 1