Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

2 hours ago, UTgrad09 said:

I agree, but it makes me wonder what was up there. I know the upper floors of some of those old buildings haven't been used in decades for anything but maybe storage.

I'd be interested to know if it would just have been more expensive to rehab, or if structural engineers told them it was unsafe to keep.  

The facade is obviously the most important part, but I would like to see as many historic interiors preserved as possible. 

I would like to see the Christian interior of the Pantheon in Rome reverted to  the original pagan  Roman gods too, but museumism isn't my thing.  I am extremely impressed with this project in the extent of their preserving and especially RESTORING the originional exterior of this building.  Would you likewise be pleased with putting back the rough board flooring (or even the dirt ones) in most of the Second Avenue buildings?  I certainly remember what they were like back then and Second Avenue in the 1950s was only a place to visit if you wanted bulk goods.  Unless buildings like this one originally had a fabulously significant historic interior, I see no problem whatsoever with ripping it out for a new use relevant to our our times.  This rebuilding fairly assures this building will grace the corner for at least another century or two, wheras most of the buildings downtown built of steel and glass will be gone in the next 50 years.  They are built with planned obsolesence.

• Like 4
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, Nash_12South said:

While it's sad that they demoed everything but 2 walls, I do understand that it was likely necessary to make the new bar space work. But, they better not try to tell the world how they "restored" an old building. 

I disagree.  I see nothing sad here.  "Restoration" takes many forms and sometimes to gut is the superior option in every aspect.  Structurally, functionally,  financially and safetywise.  No one "restores" old buildings interior guts  unless they are a museum function and even that is required to update obsolete systems by codes for public safety.  Second Avenue is not Pompei historic in importance.  I personally, as an architect, have  "restored" a good many significant buildings at great expense to preserve or even rebuild  to a level of authencitiy.  I have greatly restored quite a few Civil war and Victorian buildings on the Square in Columbia, Tennessee.  These Include the Courthouse, the Curley Building, the Archives (old jail), the Memorial Building, the County office buildings and others with fairly extensive rework.  The Curley building was a concrete tee 1950 furniture store, that I rebuilt the square facade consistant to the Victorian building the preceded it on the same site.  In the Victorian County offices, gutting  included structural stabalizing interior brick party walls that were leaning ten degrees or more. and tearing out a century of interior chopped up modifications.  No one in their right minds would want to "restore" these buildings to their original , totally obsolete configurations.  Your concept of restoration seems to me to be rather narrow.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2