Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

23 hours ago, PaulChinetti said:

How often are cities able to reroute train lines they cut through their city? That line doesn’t stop in the city anywhere does it that I know of (other than to block traffic)?

I see nothing wrong with the train route through downtown Nashville.   Big cities were built around railroads and are still vital to shipping and transportation.   If you are having traffic issues at an at grade crossing in Nashville, my suggestion would be to take an alternative route.   There are plenty of bridges and tunnels to use in the downtown core to avoid a stopped train.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bark At The Sun said:

I see nothing wrong with the train route through downtown Nashville.   Big cities were built around railroads and are still vital to shipping and transportation.   If you are having traffic issues at an at grade crossing in Nashville, my suggestion would be to take an alternative route.   There are plenty of bridges and tunnels to use in the downtown core to avoid a stopped train.

I would tend to agree with you except for that particular train.

It's already caused Fogg St. to be split.  
It constantly blocks 4th Ave S, a one way street out of town, that has no easy alternative route to use. 
It blocks a neighborhood farther south when it stops that only has one outlet, which has been going on forever and there is still only a bridge in the "planning" phases.

I enjoy trains, well used to before this one, haha.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bark At The Sun said:

Agreed.  The only locations that were grade crossings were at 3rd Avenue N. and at 4th Ave S./ & Dudley Park that were delaying traffic. These were scarcely what I condidered as "downtown core".  The other one on Chestnust Street by Mays has only become an issue due to the spectacular growth there.  Ten years ago Chestnut was  not a very traveled street..  I think if ANY points in Nashville need resolution, the cramped RR underpass from Nolensville Pike to Second Avenue S. needs massive work.  Overall the tracks through the city are not a significant problem.  I don't see any good solution for overpasses to be built on the three grade crossings because of all the new construction.  I am curious though, when we will see the huge amount of land vacated in the Gulch yards (on both sides of Church Street viaduct) and see some development proposals?  The abandonmentment of all but 2 tracks creates a huge opportunity for new growth from Charlotte to Division.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, PaulChinetti said:

I would tend to agree with you except for that particular train.

It's already caused Fogg St. to be split.  
It constantly blocks 4th Ave S, a one way street out of town, that has no easy alternative route to use. 
It blocks a neighborhood farther south when it stops that only has one outlet, which has been going on forever and there is still only a bridge in the "planning" phases.

I enjoy trains, well used to before this one, haha.

The crossing at 7th and Fogg was cutoff due to the city building the Division Street Connector one block over.  The city also built a nice bridge over a CSX RR over off 28th and Charlotte.   Both projects have done well to spur development as well as provide a much safer RR crossing.  I'm sure there will be more built in other areas of the city in the future to address such needs.

• Like 1

A new restaurant called Craig's Nashville is going to add 1 floor to the 4,200 sq. ft. one level structure at 611 9th Ave. South that was most recently inhabited by The Chef and I.  A $3.5 million permit has been issued to double the size vertically.  Pfeffer Torode is the architect. No renderings yet.

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/gulch-building-eyed-for-restaurant/article_9e0dc948-cf10-11ed-9fd7-879225ccc2f9.html

Screen Shot 2023-03-30 at 3.26.00 PM.png

• Like 3

On 3/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, Bark At The Sun said:

I think it is probably better appreciated, knowing what this area looked like just a few years ago.....not much else other than a cut through to Lafayette.   The sheet metal and steel decor is fitting for that area, and will look better when the green vegetation on the side grows.  Tennessee Brew Works should be looking forward to a lot of new local walking customers from this, Albion, Moderna 6th project and the Haven.   The top and bottom photos are from Markhollin's previous posts.

image.thumb.png.7c34ccdc3a5684fa4b6fdf38d202a8d9.png

image.thumb.jpeg.4e48e3bb3f21012eb512ba4bc2acde13.jpeg

image.png.c39e3a5ec9eb02239c61daa43b12871c.png

I don't think some of y'all realize just hown much this project improves the area.  The triangular pool area was the site of a really nasty homeless camp beside the tracks and by the CSX shack where the end of the building is shown.  Homeless slept in the narrow area by the demo'ed building and the retaining wall every night.  The alley behind the Plaza Arts store was also a notorious flop for drunks and druggies as well.  What ever happened to the proposed tower wher Plaza Art was?

Edited by Baronakim
  • Like 3

7th & Jefferson by Mainland (see March 29, 2023 entry on page 789 of this thread) has been approved by MDHA Design Review Committee.  It will be 3 and 5 stories with 10 condos and 6 townhomes. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/metro-oks-germantown-residential-project-plan/article_0a408710-d31a-11ed-9ee5-cffd95602e65.html

• Like 3