Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Interesting article about the demand for dowtown retail

Retailers look to open downtown Nashville stores

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140218/BUSINESS02/302180024/2095/BUSINESS02

Found this part interesting:

UBS Tower. Rubicon Equities, the new owner of the building formerly Regions Center on Deaderick Street, has been mum about its redevelopment plans beyond announcing Swiss bankicon1.png UBS as the anchor tenant. But a glimpse at materials provided to local brokers show a high-end retail complex with 74,826 square feet of space for retailers -

Are they talking about the ground level spaces of the UBS Tower....does anyone know anything about this?

On a side note, I am really looking forward to seeing what retailers are brought in for the Capital View project

Edited by nashmoney
  • Like 2

Surely you can't be serious...

I am, I know I didn't phrase my post very well. I just meant that we've been hearing news about this project for a very long time and it seems that they are moving forward with it, yet we haven't even seen a rendering yet, which is uncommon for most Nashville proposals. 

I am, I know I didn't phrase my post very well. I just meant that we've been hearing news about this project for a very long time and it seems that they are moving forward with it, yet we haven't even seen a rendering yet, which is uncommon for most Nashville proposals. 

Ooooh, I'm sorry. The correct response was "I am serious, and please don't call my Shirley..." Thanks for playing though!

But yeah, I'd imagine we will see some sort of plan after core drilling is complete. I've seen instances where the result of the drilling is needed to yield the final plans as, if the site cannot support x, then y must be presented.

Ooooh, I'm sorry. The correct response was "I am serious, and please don't call my Shirley..." Thanks for playing though!

But yeah, I'd imagine we will see some sort of plan after core drilling is complete. I've seen instances where the result of the drilling is needed to yield the final plans as, if the site cannot support x, then y must be presented.

You got me there, I can't believe I didn't think of that.  ^_^

It's just me venting my impatience more than anything really. I have high hopes for this project, Nashville has gone far too long without a Westin. 

Edited by henburg
  • Like 1

I was looking forward to my bridge to Cinco De Mayo.

In all seriousness though I think this project is about making hotel sites in the Gulch viable MCC contenders rather than a genuine effort to make the area more walkable. The stairs to Demonbruen in front of Gulch Crossings is much more pragmatic and won't rob the rest of the county of projects they may well need.

• Like 1

The Hilton has 400 rooms @ 10 stories, so I would not expect much taller than that. Not being Debbie Downer, just realistic.

But wasn't there talk of this being some type of mixed-use building with condo's and a hotel?  I may be getting this mixed up with another proposal.  I was thinking there were rumors of the Westin being fairly tall because it would be more than just a hotel.  

The Hilton has 400 rooms @ 10 stories, so I would not expect much taller than that. Not being Debbie Downer, just realistic.

Each hotel is different. You can't really judge one to the other based on room numbers.

HGI will have ~200 rooms and will also be 10 stories...so from that, you could make the case for 20 for Westin. But then you have the Omni at 800, so we're back to 11. But then there's the Sheraton and Renaissance, which would make the case for 20+ again.

A lot has to do with the site. Exactly how large is the Westin site? Consider that the Hilton site is a massive city block, since it was able to bury its parking under what is now the Music City Walk of Fame park. So a lot of the potential Westin's height will be determined by whether they bury the parking, or opt for an above-ground structure. 

Room sizes, conference rooms, hotel amenities, and potential retail or restaurants will also play into the height.

• Like 1

Well I may be in the minority but I really like this bridge and this is a big disappointment.  I think it's really important to create pedestrian links throughout the core to places that are not well connected.  Of course if the council actually thinks sidewalks are a good idea generally, this does represent a great advance in their thinking, we'll see if that's so.  

Personally I doubt they care, their constituents are just complaining that too much money is being spent downtown.  While spending in neighborhoods can improve the lifestyles there, spending downtown is an investment that brings people and their money to the city, creates huge increases in the tax base, and will pay off in the future with more money that can be used for other things.  I'm concerned about pedestrian safety, but people also need to understand the difference between spending for consumption versus investment.

• Like 4