Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I actually prefer the 505 Church Street plan to the Signature Tower.  I think 505 CST is a great design in a perfect location that would compliment the existing Nashville skyline.  The plan for Signature Tower was obviously impressive looking, but IMO a building that tall would have overwhelmed the rest of the skyline, especially at the original height.

I really hope that Tony G can get this project off the ground b/c I think it would be an incredible addition.  Right now it looks like he is a lot closer on his other two projects though.

• Like 1

The Broadway McDonalds issue is on the agenda for today's meeting. I misunderstood an earlier post, thinking it had already been denied.

Here is a link to the agenda and recommendations (begins on page 64 of the "staff recommendations" PDF).

http://www.nashville.gov/mpc/agendas/2012.asp

I must say, it seems that the staff has done their homework and suggested many fair alternatives. I really don't understand the property owners reluctance to this issue. I really hope they deny this. Could still be grandfathered into a remodel, but I think that's just the owner playing good ole boy hardball.

I think the alternative proposals are all great (or as "great" as a suburban, freestanding, fast food joint can fit into an urban landscape).

• Like 1

I must say, it seems that the staff has done their homework and suggested many fair alternatives. I really don't understand the property owners reluctance to this issue. I really hope they deny this. Could still be grandfathered into a remodel, but I think that's just the owner playing good ole boy hardball.

I think the alternative proposals are all great (or as "great" as a suburban, freestanding, fast food joint can fit into an urban landscape).

My only question would be is the owner going for a remodel of the existing structure or a new structure altogether? If he's primarily keeping the existing structure, I can understand his reluctance, at least somewhat. If he's going for a rebuild, then he needs to get with the times. I wonder what the cost difference would be.

I like the proposal with the building fronting Broad with the extended outdoor area (Concept A)...it does a great job of hiding the drive-thru traffic.

Also, while I would love to see a multi-story building with NO drive thru here, I can understand that for a McDonald's, that might not work too well at present. It's not really *downtown*. It's not going to get much walk up traffic (aside from the homeless interstate sign holders -- I don't see the Gulch crowd as being McDonald's people). If a fast food burger joint is going to be there, it's probably going to need a drive thru to survive...so I agree that the planning commission did a good job of providing alternatives that do not appear to be restrict the owner's ability to profit from a fast food franchise.

Rendering is now up. Eh, at least it's parking and ugly industrial gone. Those are about the only positives to the design.

Could be better, for sure. Could be a lot worse, for damn sure. I like that it fronts the street and isn't surrounded by a parking island like a certain few Hampton Inns in the area. Overall, I don't think it should detract from the Gulch vibe. It will be clearly visible from the interstate...so hopefully the backside is at least on par with the front.

My only question would be is the owner going for a remodel of the existing structure or a new structure altogether? If he's primarily keeping the existing structure, I can understand his reluctance, at least somewhat. If he's going for a rebuild, then he needs to get with the times. I wonder what the cost difference would be.

I like the proposal with the building fronting Broad with the extended outdoor area (Concept A)...it does a great job of hiding the drive-thru traffic.

The owner wants to build a new structure in essentially the same format as the old building. The existing (burnt) structure is grandfathered in so is not subject to the new downtown design codes. If they wanted to simple renovate/remodel the existing building they could do so without a variance.

I don't think that it addressess the street very well.  Not that Division is the most pedestrian-used street at present anyway.  I am happy that there is no parking in the front.  But where, exactly, do you enter the building?  From the cubby under the Fairfield Inn sign in the center, or from the carport?  I'm disappointed that the actual door isn't more visible from the street.  That makes it look like a suburban strip hotel that is plopped on an urban parking lot.  This quality indicates that it is designed toward car-driving commuters who are marooned in town rather than for visitors who are spending a couple or three days in town who might want to walk across the street to Yazoo or to nightlife in the Gulch.

It looks "old style" modern mid-century, especially the metal frame inverted T windows.  Yes, I hope there is a sidewalk in front.

This company built a Hampton Inn in downtown chattanooga that is absolutely beautiful.  The lobby looks like a much higher brand of hotel.  They are also building four Hamptons in the suburbs of Chattanooga.

Another 220 apartments going up on Parks in the NoCap area...   http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121214/BUSINESS/312140128/Luxury-apartments-planned-near-Nashville-Farmers-Market

The article says there are more than 9000 apartments underway.

And the project behind Werthan mills is going forward... property transferred this week for $7 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/14/germantowns-werthan-site-sells-for-7.html

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

Another 220 apartments going up on Parks in the NoCap area...   http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121214/BUSINESS/312140128/Luxury-apartments-planned-near-Nashville-Farmers-Market

The article says there are more than 9000 apartments underway.

And the project behind Werthan mills is going forward... property transferred this week for $7 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/news/2012/12/14/germantowns-werthan-site-sells-for-7.html

Of the 9,000, 4,600 U/C, and 4,500 "unannounced." Even thinking through all of the proposals, that's a lot of units.

I wonder if we can do a rundown and find out how many we know about (in terms of total # of units).

Interesting... Is there a rooftop deck of some sort?

I think there's a meeting room with a view overlooking SoBro and then you could go out onto a roof deck next to it, weather permitting. 

On the whole it's pretty drab but it's still something for this sparsely developed area. 

Surely Metro would make them build a sidewalk?  Even the factories I pass on Brick Church Pike have built their section of sidewalk, creating an interrupted stretch of pedestrian pavement wherever new construction has happened.  I assumed this was a regulation of some sort.