Sign in to follow this  
smeagolsfree

N. Capitol/Germantown/Salemtown/Metro-Center/Elizabeth Park/HBV& Points North

I am more curious about the bg wite boxy building behind the first building. What is that?

Edited by MLBrumby

The first picture is looking towards the northwest.

The new structure on the right side of the screen (the one built to the street corner) is at D.B. Todd and Morena. It appears that it will require the demolition of at least one house.

Gray roof, right side

That house would not appear to be any sort of loss.

What is difficult to determine is whether or not it would require this nice little stone house to be razed as well. The two views provided are inconclusive. I mean, it is nearly right on the line.

The second complex (center in the rendering) is on Morena St., seemingly at the location of this  nightmare. The two white buildings in the rendering to the right (or East) would appear to be these two houses.

The third complex (left side of rendering) is on Hermosa Street, at the opposite side of the T intersection with 19th Ave. It appears to be taking the back end of the nightmare. The white structure with the gambrel roof in the front (bottom, almost dead center in the rendering) is the James Weldon Johnson house. He taught creative literature at Fisk Univ., right across the street.

Edited by UTgrad09

As I was pulling out of the drive this morning, I noticed surveying going on at this site..    they were on the high ground above the strip center on 9th Ave at Locklayer..

• Like 1

Has anyone seen any renderings of the Meeks project?

Also, regarding the Meharry buildings, where will the Turner Center be built? 

^ on the corner of Albion and 21st.

I am working on the most comprehensive map ever done for this site or another I have seen. It is going to take me several weeks to finish but will have most of the construction since 2000. I will have photos or renderings for most projects as well as year built.

• Like 2

^ on the corner of Albion and 21st.

I am working on the most comprehensive map ever done for this site or another I have seen. It is going to take me several weeks to finish but will have most of the construction since 2000. I will have photos or renderings for most projects as well as year built.

Wow! You did such a great job on the last list, I can hardly wait to see this one.  Those of us who live outside of Nashville really appreciate such comprehensive project lists.  Thanks.

As far as I can tell there has not been a rendering released yet. WW is trying to contact them but so far without any results. I keep in close contact with WW and pass information along to him that ends up in his blog post or as stories in the Post. Many times I will know about a project or a rendering before hand but cannot share, but this is not one of those cases. There should be renderings coming on a few more projects a little later on.

I took a walk Saturday after meeting WW at the new coffee shop
in Germantown called
the Red Bicycle. Great addition to Germantown
and the coffee is kicking.

Here are a few shots for you.

Older apartment building being renovated. This is on 4th.
Not a fan but better than nothing.

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013033.j

Last building going up at the 5th & Garfield project.

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013028.j

6th and Garfield

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013026.j

Evergreen Project at 8th and Hume

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013015.j

Demolition work at Werthan for the new apartments there

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013010.j

Sign for Luxus @ 5th and Monroe

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013005.j

New construction behind 4th and Monroe. A 2nd phase

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013004.j

The square @ 4th and Madison

WalkGermantownWestEndPark01-26-2013001.j

• Like 1

There is so much momentum in this area. It will have a great neighborhood feel. I really like everything happening here, and we don't talk about it much on this board.

There is so much momentum in this area. It will have a great neighborhood feel. I really like everything happening here, and we don't talk about it much on this board.

We've discussed it a few times at the forum meets. It may be the quietest hot area in town. So much flies under the radar...if it weren't for the folks here digging some of this info out of the internet abyss...or just taking a walk or drive through the area, you'd never know much of this is happening. The 10ACN doesn't seem to pay much attention to it.

There are still a number of properties to develop...but eventually I think this will be one of Nashville's most complete and most lively urban neighborhoods.

WOW!  I know I certainly had no idea that so much was going on here!  I love the scale of the development going on in Germantown, and what's even better is that it all seems to be high quality development, built right up to the street and and taking advantage of every square foot of each lot.  This is going to be a dynamite neighborhood in no time!

Yep, North is becoming quite the area quietly.  Not as familiar with the area, but it reminds me of another "East Nashville."  As in, an urban neighborhood.

Germantown is a neighborhood, whereas East Nashville is a region made up of several neighborhoods.  But having said, that, Germantown is in many ways a much more urban neighborhood than most of those in East Nashville. Specifically, the building density in Germantown is (or is going to be) much higher because there is so much zero-lot-line or multifamily housing there, which is the exception rather than the rule even in the more dense/historic parts of East Nashville.  Single-family homes with yards, albeit homes that may have an apartment upstairs or something, are very much the norm in East Nashville and even the standard 50X150 (7500SF) lots in lower East Nashville's historic areas are at least 70% yard by zoning.  I would say that the closest comparison to Germantown in East Nashville would be Edgefield, but the scale of new development in Germantown is far surpassing Edgefield's in the last decade.  Then again, Edgefield formed Nashville's first historic district in the 1970s specifically to guide new construction and so quite a bit of the development that is going to take place in Edgefield is already built, whereas Germantown has really gotten started in the last decade.

It seems to me that Germantown is approaching the building density - not so much in terms of population but more in terms of built environment - that you would find in the brownstone neighborhoods of Chicago or many of the older East Coast cities in America.  The fact that Germantown is quite compact -- I'm guessing 2 square miles including Salemtown -- and that it has clear boundaries on the south, east and north sides, also adds to that sense of density, whereas the East Nashville region is spread out over several times that land area. 

Those Interstate and other boundaries that encircle Germantown will help to focus land demand in that compact area (as opposed to the nearly 1 dozen neighborhood center commerical areas across several square miles in East) but will probably limit the near-term spillover effect into greater North Nashville other than those areas immediately to the west:  Hope Gardens and Buena Vista. 

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Thanks for the clarification.  I wasn't trying to directly compare the areas, as I know they are different and unique.  I just don't know many of the details.  It just seems like the area has broken open the mindset of people saying, "I live in Germantown.", and replies of "Ohh, nice!"  Er, something to that effect.  Kind of like EN has its own "cool" vibe, but for some different reasons.  It's just nice to see neighborhoods develop like this (for Nashville).  It just seems like both neighborhoods developed under the radar for several years.  Then when it hit the "critical point" of development, the neighborhoods have come into their own.  Now the 'hoods are more known around the area.  I feel like GT has finally established that vibe, at least for me and from my perspective.

i don't live that way, though i walk to the farmer's market and the kroger a lot, but i've never smelled anything off over there?

eric b

I picked up lunch at the Farmer's Market yesterday and the sickly-sweet bubblegum-ish smell from the snuff plant was pretty strong. Maybe I have a more sensative sniffer than most?

I think my smeller is broken. I have walked over in that area a number of times and have never noticed much of anything but I have lost a lot of the ability smell because others have asked if I smell something and the answer is usually no.

I thought the treatment plant was supposed to be much improved after all the money they spent on it. Another big waste of money by Metro I am sure.

I am from Kingsport in east TN and I grew up with a variaty of smells from a chemical plant, paper mill, concrete facotry, glass factory, and a few others.

Well, I like the Burton Snuff smell, especially when they are adding the "wintergreen" element!  The wastewater plant does occasionally produce an odor, but generally only noticeable during hot, still, humid weather.

BTW, remember after 9/11 when Channel 5 did an "expose'" about how easy it would be for terrorists to sneak into that plant.  LOL, when they confronted Metro officials who admitted never considering that sewage might be posioned!

IMO the biggest downsides to living in the North Capital/Germantown/Hope Gardens area are the sickening smells produced by the snuff factory and wastewater treatment plant.

That's funny, I live right behind the tobacco plant and never notice it..   although I have heard others mention it before..  Maybe there's a problem with my smeller?

Of course, as long as US Tobacco stays right where it is (thus preventing high rise development right in front of us!), I guess I could put up with just about any smells they wanted to spew out!  :)