smeagolsfree

N. Capitol/Germantown/Salemtown/Metro-Center/Elizabeth Park/HBV& Points North

It's interesting. I don't know if I'm a huge fan of the design. I'll probably have to see the final product.

What I do like is the diversity of style in Germantown. Sometimes a mishmash of styles doesn't work...Germantown is definitely a mixed bag. I love what they're doing in that neighborhood.

The project he is finishing up on 5th and Garfield is a class act as well. Probably my favorite samll development and we could use blocks and blocks of these. From my understanding Jim Creason is activly looking for more property in the area.

I really like this architecture. I wish Nashville had hundreds more of these types of developments. 

Will this development have any parking? I don't see it in the rendering, which makes me wonder if the developer has the courage to build without space parking. I'm sure the residents can park on the street, but so can anyone else. If there is no parking, I'd love to see how Nashvillians respond, and I hope it's in a good way. 

Edited by nashvylle

Though I'm not a big fan of "replica architecture," it can be  very effective if 1. done with top-notch materials and craftsmanship; 2. the place in which it is done has razed much of its historic building stock; and/or 3. the place in which it is done has lots of traditional buildings.

I like this project. 

WW

Save the Hull

Thanks so much for joining our community Jim. It is great to have developers such as yourself on the board and posting. I commend you for what you are doing in G-town and what you are planning. I do know about another project and I will wait till that hits the media, but it is really exciting.

A big welcome to you and please feel free to join us at out forum meets as well.

I think this hit the Post today behind the paywall and there is another project that Jim Creason is going to do at the old location of the Seventh and Monroe project. Looking forward to it. Not expected to start till next year.

These cottage-style developments around a common area or a "village green" are getting to be popular with developers.  But I think that Planning needs to proceed with caution. 

The Cathedral Homes cottage development at 18th/Sevier across from Shelby Park in East Nashville finally won approval from the neighborhood precisely because the homes fronted the street with parking in the rear.  The neighborhood granted the variance for the side setback variance request after a lot of discussion, but the street frontage was key.  The resulting "cottage development" is similar to the Martin's Corner cottage development that was built near 11th/Fatherland in Five Points, where the homes face the street but have a common parking area in the rear off the street.

But some of the other development proposals, particularly the Cahal Corners proposal in the South Inglewood neighborhood of East Nashville, would create self-contained neighborhoods that would turn their backs on the rest of the neighborhood.  Those proposals are having an even harder time convincing the neighborhoods of their merits.

That very concern is something to consider for this parcel.  It would be interesting to see a rendering.  It's great that it would use a large, awkward parcel to achieve some density.  But how well would it actually interact with the Salemtown neighborhood?

Saw that article this morning. Great news for this area. I am glad you guys are posting these articles. I don't have to do all the work now which is great. We have a great group of folks here even though we don't always agree.

Welcome to the board Griz83. Make sure you come to the forum meet.

• Like 2

Their timing should be very good.  We're seeing several large apartment blocks similar to this in downtown Chattanooga.  

Has work at the Faison (Demobreun) lofts resumed.  I was in Nashville two weeks ago and drove past the site and was very surprised to see no equipment there (site was excavated though).  It was raining that day, but I'd expected at least a couple of large earthmoving vehicles and the usual workshed.  But I didn't see any of that, as if the project had been abandoned.  Anyone been past there lately? 

Edited by MLBrumby