smeagolsfree

N. Capitol/Germantown/Salemtown/Metro-Center/Elizabeth Park/HBV& Points North

I have a question, maybe someone can educate me, I really have no idea.  why is there a suburban office park (metrocenter) basically in downtown?  I have always wondered this even back in the 90's growing up in Franklin.  It looks like it belongs in a surrounding county, not downtown.  I say downtown because to us in Franklin, downtown Nashville was basically everything within I-440.

Because when Metrocenter was planned and developed in the late 1960s, it was a wide expanse of floodplain, suburban style developments were all the rage, and Nashville didn't yet have an urban identity.  Plus, I'm guessing the whole metro area was a third of today's population.

Because when Metrocenter was planned and developed in the late 1960s, it was a wide expanse of floodplain, suburban style developments were all the rage, and Nashville didn't yet have an urban identity.  Plus, I'm guessing the whole metro area was a third of today's population.

This. Back then, Metrocenter was probably considered a plan for the future. Most every city was expanding out, not up (while many skyscrapers were built, I would argue that the growth per high rise built was much, much lower from the 60s-90s than it was previously, nationwide). 

On that subject, last time I was in Metrocenter (last Thursday), I thought about ways that the city could revamp it into a more urban center. Of course, we're not going to rid ourselves of low rise office buildings and parking lots overnight...but I think there is definitely room on some of the street corridors for urban development to enhance the area.

If it happens, it will be ever gradually... and could happen over several decades. Those properties have great occupancy rates, and I believe the newer apartments have high occupancy as well.  It's just that the planning and infrastructure are all in place, and they follow the suburban style and even warehouse template. 

There was a bit of excitement a few years ago when Healthspring announced they would build a new corporate HQ out in Metrocenter, and they did build a decent sized lowrise building there.  They were growing furiously fast by expanding markets and acquisitions.  Healthspring was even at the point where it had just become a Fortune 500 company with almost $6 billion in revenues.  They planned to grow to a million square feet out there.  But then Obamacare was passed, and it was going to directly affect their Medicare/MedAdvantage business; so they decided to sell the whole company to CIGNA.  Needless to say, they don't need to build any more office space out there.

I have a question, maybe someone can educate me, I really have no idea.  why is there a suburban office park (metrocenter) basically in downtown?  I have always wondered this even back in the 90's growing up in Franklin.  It looks like it belongs in a surrounding county, not downtown.  I say downtown because to us in Franklin, downtown Nashville was basically everything within I-440.

I remember going down there for a groundbreaking ceremony, I think it was around 1977 (I was a little kid). I think Mayor Fulton was there and other dignitaries, so it was considered a "big deal" for an area that had always been largely undeveloped. It felt like being way out in a swamp and they even had water-skiing ladies riding around behind speedboats in Amulet Lake.

Wasn't the area originally just a wetlands/floodplain before it was developed? 

I remember my Dad had an office in one of the buildings, so we'd often go to The Hungry Fisherman. Great place to go as a kid. You could feed the carp in the lake while waiting for your table. I also remember there being a disco (the name eludes me) in Metro Center. Never understood at the time why a seven year old kid wasn't allowed to go dancing there. Oh well, luckily there was Charlotte Skating Rink to get my seventies groove on.

Here is another project that I let WW know about. Found this one out having a conversation with Jim Creason.  This will be on the remaining corner of 6th and Garfield.

The Historic Row at  Garfiled

R7zMiKY.png

Well, it'll certainly look attractive next to it's neighbor, but based on that rendering it kinda just looks like a McMansion with multiple entrances.  lol

I honestly have never really been in the Metrocenter area, but yesterday I decided to ride the greenway that goes by it. I really like that area and it seems like it would be a great area for future development. Did it experience flooding though a few years ago?  Also what is the large building with a blue roof off of the pond? The whole area around the pond looks great to me.

I honestly have never really been in the Metrocenter area, but yesterday I decided to ride the greenway that goes by it. I really like that area and it seems like it would be a great area for future development. Did it experience flooding though a few years ago?  Also what is the large building with a blue roof off of the pond? The whole area around the pond looks great to me.

That is the development known as "the mistake by the lake"...Fountain Square. Used to be a little mall with a theater.

• Like 2

Wasn't the area originally just a wetlands/floodplain before it was developed? 

Most of the area was landfill - the dump.  Not too long ago, there was a fire underground from buried garbage.  And, the area along the riverbank where the Ted Rhodes golf course is was eroding and dumping garbage into the river; necessitating an expensive rip-rap placement.

If the levy had broken, well I guess I can say HELL yea it would have flooded. If you take a walk on the greenway, you will see the river and when the flood hit , the water was actually a lot higher than a lot of the buildings there. There were a lot of folks that could not work because of the fear that the levy would break. I f you thought the flood was bad, it could have been a whole lot worse.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

North Capital will be at the explosion point at some time in the future like the East Side.

North Capital will be at the explosion point at some time in the future like the East Side.

The only thing I wonder about with NC is the potential flooding issue. Otherwise, I think it has to be primed for a building boom. It will be really cool when the entire north side is one contiguous urban hood connected to downtown.

Forgot to post the other day about the Rosa Parks project, now called the Artisan. Demo to start in 30 days or so and groundbreaking soon afterwards. This is not a Meeks project now.

Groundbreaking also looms for the Luxus as property is fenced off and has been for a few weeks.

The only thing I wonder about with NC is the potential flooding issue. Otherwise, I think it has to be primed for a building boom. It will be really cool when the entire north side is one contiguous urban hood connected to downtown.

I think that the main thing blocking this connection between North Nashville and Downtown are the lots east of the Bicentennial Mall, which I believe are at least partly State owned, and the lots along 10th Ave, which the State uses for surface parking even if only on a rental basis.  Those lots are a real barrier to any sense of connectivity with downtown.  Even the townhomes on 4th Ave North or whatever basically have the bail bonding companies for neighbors.  Not the most ideal selling point.

Also, in terms of speaking of "the entire north side," don't forget that the Interstate is a formidable barrier between Germantown/Salemtown and the rest of North Nashville.  It would help if people begin to associate North Nashville less with Germantown specifically, and more with Bordeaux and the other areas up there.  I think that's why most people (at least those who don't live in Germantown) think of Germantown as being part of downtown rather than being part of North Nashville.  But that's back to my Macro vs Micro argument about naming conventions.

I think that the 28th Ave Connector will help somewhat for the TSU area of North Nashville, but then again 18th Ave North/DB Todd Blvd already had the Jubille Bridge connecting Fisk to Midtown and that still hasn't prompted a whole ton of development in that area.  That area needs to be "discovered" in order to get some buzz and investment going.  Maybe the new MDHA residential building near 16th/Jefferson and the Jefferson streetscape projects will help with that.

Guest 5th & Main Urbanite

Park Ridge Apartments for Herman Street: Ran Across this.

Park Ridge Apartments

Project Information Project Type: Residential - MultiFamily (Apartments/Condos)     Estimated Value: $5~25 million     Sector: Private     Location: Nashville, TN. 1501 Herman Street. Details:

Plans call for a 51-unit affordable apartment complex.

Schedule
  1. Stage:
    Planning and approval stage.  

Developer
Modify Silverstone Partners, Inc.

Another:

Jefferson Street Apartments

Project Information Project Type: Residential - MultiFamily (Apartments/Condos)     Estimated Value: $3.75 million
Estimate is between $3.5 million and $4 million.     Sector: Private     Location: Nashville, TN. 1605 Jefferson Street. Details:

Plans call for construction of a 35-unit apartment development. Rents will be market-rate and will start at about $800 a month.

Schedule
  1. Construction Start:
    Early planning stage.  

Developer
Modify Metropolitan Government of Nashville and Davidson County

June 20, 2013Planning/ApprovalAs of 6/20/13, plans for this project are in the works.
June 20, 2013Planning/ApprovalOn 6/20/13, a representative from the Nashville Metropolitan Development and Housing Agency stated that they will most likely develop this project themselves. They are still in the very early planning stages and an architect has not yet been selected.
Edited by 5th & Main Urbanite