Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Hensler closes on Gulch property. Construction could start in February.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20121226/BUSINESS/312260102/Hensler-buys-land-80M-luxury-apartment-project-Gulch

Good deal. I would love to see this and WES get 2013 started off well. Both of those would sort of help bridge the skyline gap. I love all of these 3-7 story residential projects that are great infill...but I'm itching to see some highrise construction.

I did catch this while reading the article:

“This was always our plan — to have that northern piece be a hotel, the southern piece be a high-end, high-quality residential development and to have the corner of 12th and Demonbreun be an office tower,” Eakin said, referring to another developer’s purchase in the spring of a smaller piece of the overall property with plans to build a hotel there.

Maybe I heard this at one point and just forgot...but I was not aware of plans to build a hotel at that site. Any details on this?

This is a little more positive news for Hensler than the last time he made headlines. :-)

Boy, you ain't kiddin. And Mr. Hensler needs to stay inside for New Year's this year. :alc:  :fun:

Edited by UTgrad09

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="smeagolsfree" data-cid="1249296" data-time="1356625241"><p>

There is a company from Florida that bought the property across Demonbreun for a hotel. They are remaining silent about the plans.</p></blockquote>

Is this plot "across Demonbreun" the site where there is/was a strip club? I will be glad to see that go.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="smeagolsfree" data-cid="1249296" data-time="1356625241"><p>

There is a company from Florida that bought the property across Demonbreun for a hotel. They are remaining silent about the plans.</p></blockquote>

Is this plot "across Demonbreun" the site where there is/was a strip club? I will be glad to see that go.

This is on the corner of 12th and Demonbreun.  The Deja Vue is not going anywhere yet. Wish it were.

Hopefully whatever hotel goes across from the Hensler project will be larger and higher end than the Fairfield Inn. I think the corner of 12th & Demonbreun deserves something significant. 

I would think it would be. Dmills is right, though...we're sort of running low on brands...plus a number of higher end brands have been thrown around with other projects in the area. I suppose we don't have a true Marriott or JW Marriott (though several of their other brands). And joking aside, if we do get a Ritz or Four Seasons or other high high end luxury hotel, I don't imagine it would be in the Gulch...either right downtown or close to Vanderbilt.

Perhaps a Crowne Plaza? I know that's not really a name that makes you say "hell yes!" But it's a pretty decent hotel, especially for business travelers.

Crowne would be okay, I have seen some decent ones. Kansas City and Chicago come to mind, and a shorter version of KC would certainly fit the bill with Eakin/Hensler. In fact, this is one of the brands I had considered for the Gulch, as it would make sense for us to have it.

It seems like a lot of them are in existing buildings/remodels...so it's hard to get a good handle of what sort of "look" they have.

I can't say I'm impressed with the design (well, it's just old) of the KC Crowne Plaza...but I do like this newer Marriott right down the street from it: 

https://maps.google.com/?ll=39.10003,-94.586344&spn=0.00164,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=39.100023,-94.586112&panoid=WbBKcMQUlupptlvQxenM-Q&cbp=12,123.09,,0,-20.92

(Crowne Plaza is on the right, btw)

I think that particular Marriott would be a good size fit for the area we are talking about.

P.S. - I forgot about the Marriott out by Vanderbilt Stadium. Yeah...we really are running low on brands.

Well I can throw out a few. Wyndham Grand, Planet Hollywood, Night by Wyndham also only in a couple of markets, Westgate resorts, Warwick Hotels (more international locations but a few in the states),  Grand resindence by Marriot, and this is to name just a few.

There area lot of options out there.

Think outside the box grass hoppers. :shades:

It would fit in just like the 30 story guitar. William told me the same thing. For that fact it could be an anchor tenant for a large guitar.

Back to the hotels, we do not have a JW Marriott or a Hilton Hotel to name a couple more.

We DO have a Hilton Hotel...downtown between 4th and 5th avenues across from the Country Music Hall of Fame.  I wonder if Peabody Hotels might look at this as an option to get into the Nashville market, as it seems they have been anxious for an opportunity.  Another thought--would Marriott consider bringing in one of their flagship Marriott Marquis hotels into downtown to supplement their significant convention business in the Gaylord Hotel and Convention Center?  They might like to have a piece of the action in the downtown/gulch neighborhood!

nice picture of the MCC.

regarding the green roof:

as others mentioned it is probably a mixture of sedum, not grass, and the plants will change character with the seasons. it will require little maintenance, hopefully no watering after the first season, and certainly not mowing. that would somewhat defeat the purpose of the green roof. the primary reason to install a green roof is not to provide a lush, beautiful lawn or garden for viewing - though that is certainly possible - but it is to reduce energy needs in the building through increased insulation and decreased heat gain, and also to help manage water runoff.

i was also somewhat surprised at the apparently-reduced area for the green roof, and after a quick search discovered that it is approximately 4 acres. not as large as i thought it was supposed to be, but significant nonetheless i'd say. also, i believe they have future plans for installation of photovoltaics above the ballroom area. does anybody know more details?

green roof of sedum that's not very green: http://www.greengridroofs.com/inspired/galleries/Images/functional/Convent_Hill_Green_Roof.jpg

green grid product that's probably similar to what was used:

http://www.greengridroofs.com/index.htm

• Like 2