Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Not to rain on the parade, but I can't get too excited when TG's has had 5th and Church forever...

I understand that sentiment for sure. I think though that Tony is being a lot more discriminant with the 5th and Church site...he wants a keystone building built there. I imagine if he wanted to put something lesser there, he could and would have already done it...but he's holding out for the big one.

But yes, in general, I'm waiting for the cranes to go up before I celebrate. Still, I'm excited.

I told Ron and WW the Swerdling website had been down for awhile. It was back up a couple of days ago, but this is no surprise.

Sheet music is moving forward. There is an article in the Post today. It will be 505'. Tony is also buying the coin shop that will be vacated next month and notifying the billboard company that the bill board has to be out by 1/31/14. The coin shop will also be demolished. There is also a small lot that Tony is purchasing the lot on the back side of the shop as well. Sheet Music is to be 36 stories. I know a little more but I would have to kill myself if I told.

Here is another rendering for you from the other direction.

3GOLlTh.png

I like this render a lot better.

This'll be nice reuse of a building I admit to driving and walking by and never really noticing. It's across the street from Demos' and should be a great addition and hopefully a sign of further rehabs/conversions in the core.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140102/BUSINESS/301020080/Historic-downtown-building-converted-into-apartments-retail-space

That's a great looking building. Not the coziest spot ever, next to a parking garage and across from a parking garage but it's still cool.

I am afraid of this too... I just don't understand why the full-service hotels are not being built.

Money is still tight. Interest rates are going up and the banks are still overly cautious IMO. It all comes down to financing. Look at WES for example. The recession hurt a lot of of companies and many just have not recovered.

This is unfortunate news, especially given the TIF payout. Swerdling's Hyatt Regency is officially dead.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/01/hyatt-regency-hotel-deal-dead-sources.html?ana=twt

This and WES are cursed.  Should look for Native American burial grounds.  We need a shaman!

For a market bubbling over with demand for a high end hotel nashville is really struggling to get one built. Could it be that the demand isn't really there?

You may be right on this. The full ramp up for the MCC won't be for awhile. Did you see who is coming so far this spring? The Tennessean listed the numbers. All the groups are between 2500-8000 people except for the 15,000 for the Women's Final 4, and I doubt that group needs high end hotels.

Those numbers are not very impressive at this point. We need groups bringing 30,000-50,000 before the higher end hotels start getting built.

Here are some breakdowns:

Sheraton: 476 rooms

Rennaissance: 673 rooms

Omni: 800 rooms

Double Tree: 340 rooms

Hilton: Approx 300 rooms

Hyatt Place: 250 rooms

Hermitage: 123 rooms

Vandy Plaza: 343 rooms

Marriott Courtyard 4th Avenue: Approx 150 rooms

3350 if I added that up right. That about covers most of the groups coming to town. That does not add in the dozens of hotels that I missed like the ones off Broadway, West End, etc...

Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head, but in any case I don't see large numbers demanding more rooms at this point.

By the time the Patel Marriott project is finished on West End, and the Hilton Garden Inn on Almond, and the Fairfield Inn in the Gulch are finished, we will know what the market can support. The HGI is a year from being open.

Edited by Urban Architecture

I wonder if we will ever see the 17-19 story Sliver Tower in the Gulch that was first proposed for Tony G's lot across from Terrazzo on the triangular sliver lot. This is the vacant lot where the adult store used to be.

As I recall it was not but maybe 30-40 feet wide and 150 feet tall with about 8 units or so on each floor and an underground parking garage for about 75 cars as I recall.

I'll see if I can find the rendering.

• Like 1