Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

YES! Yes! A thousand times yes!!! More of this please!!! As odd as it might sound, stuff like this makes me just as excited as projects like Sheet Music. I wish we could get more stuff like this! Its not that difficult to simply copy the style that worked before. Although whatever was there before the parking lot can probably never be fully recreated, I feel like with projects like this, even though its brand new construction, we can, in some small way, reclaim a small sliver of history.

I don't think I could disagree in the least. Absent skyscrapers, this is precisely the type of infill development needed on empty lots downtown with respect to businesses. I'd also love to see classic-styled townhouses (3-4 stories) as well to compliment them.

• Like 2

I don't think I could disagree in the least. Absent skyscrapers, this is precisely the type of infill development needed on empty lots downtown with respect to businesses. I'd also love to see classic-styled townhouses (3-4 stories) as well to compliment them.

I agree...perhaps that type of development would work well on that stretch of parking lots on 1st Ave. across from the ampitheatre? 

• Like 2

YES! Yes! A thousand times yes!!! More of this please!!! As odd as it might sound, stuff like this makes me just as excited as projects like Sheet Music. I wish we could get more stuff like this! Its not that difficult to simply copy the style that worked before. Although whatever was there before the parking lot can probably never be fully recreated, I feel like with projects like this, even though its brand new construction, we can, in some small way, reclaim a small sliver of history.

Finally, downtown development that addresses 1st Ave, the river and the East Bank (even if just slightly)! Glad to hear more is on the way. Maybe we can invite Carl Icahn down for happy hour on the veranda.

Edited by TnNative

Does it bother anyone else that they're putting new buildings in a flood plain? Personally I would rather see the river front park expanded. The parking lots and vacant lots could be removed and replaced with grass and trees. It would look good and no one would care if it flooded.

Let's put the buildings on the other side of MCC. That area will never flood and it's full of empty lots.

Just my two cents.

This type of development (in sufficient quantity) IMO is just as important as all of the towers we drool over every time some developer wants to spin off some renderings for fun. 

It looks like this is destined for the lot across from Joe's Crab Shack correct?

Correct!

Aren't there plans for a flood wall?

You are correct, as part of the amphitheater park project.

To the comment about replacing the 1st Ave parking lots with greenspace, let's not forget that each one of those lots is owned by an investor (Ragland has several of them). Many of them have been holding their property for years waiting for land values to appreciate to the point it makes sense to sell or develop. That time is pretty much here.

Does it bother anyone else that they're putting new buildings in a flood plain? Personally I would rather see the river front park expanded. The parking lots and vacant lots could be removed and replaced with grass and trees. It would look good and no one would care if it flooded.

Let's put the buildings on the other side of MCC. That area will never flood and it's full of empty lots.

Just my two cents.

Only 6 floods of record since 1896 have risen to above 48ft, when land in SoBro finally starts to be inundated and only 1 since 1975. The odds of it happening again are low and I'd much rather have the parcels that are parking turned into structures to add to the tax base, at face value with density, walkability, etc. not in the equation, than sit as park space broken up amongst the grid down there, it wouldn't make sense or cents. 

• Like 4

A new mixed use infill project slated for 2nd Ave. No tenant yet and should start  by mid year.

G8UWGSU.jpg

Any chance we can get the architect behind this project the contract for the old convention center rehab? It is heartening to see somebody building something that will add to the vibrancy of downtown rather than turn away from it.

• Like 2

Just my two cents.

I think one thing that is going to influence building in this area is the fact that as part of the riverfront project, there is a flood wall that is going to be built. Hopefully that will keep this area a little safer.

As far as the architecture goes in this area, they have to go with the historic overlay, so they have to conform to the historic designs. I think they may have had to get a variance if they had wanted to go above three floors. Not real sure about that, but I would bet Bret would know.

As far as the architecture goes in this area, they have to go with the historic overlay, so they have to conform to the historic designs. I think they may have had to get a variance if they had wanted to go above three floors. Not real sure about that, but I would bet Bret would know.

I'm trying to find the boundaries of the 2nd/Broadway Historic Preservation District to determine for certain whether those restrictions apply to this property.  It kind of looks like buildings that front Broadway itself can be up to 65 feet high at Broadway with a little bit of additional height set back.  I'm not certain about the approved height on the side streets.

Sorry about that.  I'm ready to drop right now.  My council member and I are filing my neighborhood's conservation zoning overlay expansion tomorrow.  It's going to be an all-nighter!

Edited by bwithers1

Same person. Michael Hayes w CB Ragland is doing the development. He does understand the impact of quality development. One quote from him back when he bought the First Ave properties he owns is that he was waiting on Metro to decide whatthe were going to do with the Thermal site. The owner of the lot this is going on is the Mayes family I believe.

“We will begin the master planning process for our parcels as

soon as we know what will happen to the Thermal site,” said

Hayes, who lives in The Cumberland downtown.

That was from 2004.

Here is the website:

http://www.cbragland.com/

Thanks for the kind words!  I'd love to be the developer and owner of this building, but this is Frank May's project and vision.  As neighbors and friends we are working together to bring a quality building to the neighborhood.   We have been working with Frank for quite some time to make this building a reality.  Our firm has been tasked with Leasing and Management of the building.  Collectively we are also working to enhance the walkability of the neighborhood and the streetscape in general.  Our collective goal is to really connect this area up to at least Peabody Street and bring together a strong mixed use neighborhood.  This portion of 2nd Avenue is tough.  If you recall, only a decade ago there was a trash burning plant across the street!  It takes a long time and a lot of effort to heal those wounds.  Frank is a retired architect who has been serving in a design architect capacity for this building.  His good friend Mark Robin has been handling production of the design docs to execute Frank's vision.  Frank is incredibly passionate about the neighborhood and I anticipate that this will turn out to be a real jewel when complete! 

I'm trying to find the boundaries of the 2nd/Broadway Historic Preservation District to determine for certain whether those restrictions apply to this property.  It kind of looks like buildings that front Broadway itself can be up to 65 feet high at Broadway with a little bit of additional height set back.  I'm not certain about the approved height on the side streets.

Sorry about that.  I'm ready to drop right now.  My council member and I are filing my neighborhood's conservation zoning overlay expansion tomorrow.  It's going to be an all-nighter!

This site is in the historic overlay.  It is limited to 85'.

• Like 2

This type of development (in sufficient quantity) IMO is just as important as all of the towers we drool over every time some developer wants to spin off some renderings for fun. 

It looks like this is destined for the lot across from Joe's Crab Shack correct?

Correct.

I'd like to see the whole roof top used or at least greenified.

Expect this to be designed with significant sustainability features incorporated.  It's hard to articulate all of Frank's vision in a water color rendering!

Thanks Michael for clarifying all. I am glad to see this is a quality team working on this project. We have a few people in Nashville who understand what is best for Nashville. We are looking forward to what your plans are for the lots across from the old Thermal plant site.

CB Ragland has some great lots with HUGE potential. Would love to hear about your plans on those lots at some time. Feel free to join us sometime at a forum meet. The one thing I have noticed is those lots are not on your portfolio as available.

Again great job to you, and please pass on our thanks to Robin and Frank for the vision they have. A lot of fans here on this site for sure.

• Like 2

The 11.3 acres in plots 1 and 3 will go to HCA. I am pretty sure they have about another 10 acres in between the RR tracks. The surprise here is that the large warehouse is theirs as well. It is still occupied, so I am guessing the lease has not run out. I spoke to someone in there last year and he said they were not going anywhere and he knew nothing about the NW project. He may be in for a surprise. WW is addressing the questions about Gay street and the missing land to Boyle and we should have an answer at some point soon.

Thanks Michael for clarifying all. I am glad to see this is a quality team working on this project. We have a few people in Nashville who understand what is best for Nashville. We are looking forward to what your plans are for the lots across from the old Thermal plant site.

CB Ragland has some great lots with HUGE potential. Would love to hear about your plans on those lots at some time. Feel free to join us sometime at a forum meet. The one thing I have noticed is those lots are not on your portfolio as available.

Again great job to you, and please pass on our thanks to Robin and Frank for the vision they have. A lot of fans here on this site for sure.

I echo Ron's comments. 

I will add it would be great to see the building(s) that go up across from the amphitheater to go to the max in height.  With the open space on the river, then a vertical wall would be quite dramatic.  Also, it would make the point that such views are in limited supply. Anyone who goes up to the west  of your building would have to go taller... and even Tony Giarratana doesn't appear willing to go higher than 36 floors with his Sheet Music. Something like in the rendering for the amphitheater. 

• Like 1