Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Old theater site consider for restaurant space. Not able to say which company it is yet. This the building on the SE corner of 4th and Monroe.

This served as the Peafowl theater from ca 1915 to 1929. I gave WW the heads up on this when I saw it was for sale and did a little research on the building.

Article is pay right now but will open at some point.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/1/30/ex_germantown_theater_building_could_be_resused_as_restaurant_space

• Like 1

Wow, that mean it'll rise fairly quickly. I imagine the south crane will be mostly for the garage on that side at least. This may sound weird, but I hope they're yellow, like the one used for Terrazzo. 

Edited by NashRugger

Whatever! It probably will be a glass box as that's generally cheaper to build. Even Mies van der Rohe never intended his boxes to exist among a sea of other boxes.  So we disagree. 

I am not a proponent for modernism, but rather a clear contemporary response to a site.  In 70 years, I want the building to look 70 years old...not 140.

Although I would like granite, stone, brick, and some Art Deco fins, it's a nice project. For  buildings of this size I would rather see hard materials other than glass. Being so close to the Cummins Station, this building could have bridged the gap, and created a nice wall of brick since we will most likely lose the UMPH buildings.

I am fine with glass and steel, but I still love the L&C Tower and the Snodgrass Tower. Nothing seems to command monolithic respect than travertine, brick and stone. 

Some hate the Snodgrass Tower post modernism, but I love it.

Whatever! It probably will be a glass box as that's generally cheaper to build. Even Mies van der Rohe never intended his boxes to exist among a sea of other boxes. So we disagree.

I assume it will more or less resemble the render from the pedestrian bridge a few months back, which I think is a glass box.

I don't know, there is still a good bit of masonry in the gulch with the brick row where urban outfitters and two old hippies is, plus the griffin building. I don't really see a 12 story brick hotel going there, but would also be in favor of tasteful use of brick and stone on the lower floors.

Love the SF building. If only...

Agree. Just returned from Austin. I have to say having buildings with some height along the river does look nice, and makes for some spectacular views for the tenants in those buildings. Watching the rowers out on the river and people walking/running along the riverfront makes the downtown seem more vibrant.

How about a Flatiron building that is more rail yard factory industrial with a limestone base and aged red brick. Large windows like the Two Old Hippies store across from the 404 Hotel. Pool and bar on the rooftop with a view of downtown, north gulch,and midtown. Retail that wraps the entire building saving Pine and 11th for a local cafe. Or.... a clear glass curve of a building like a 12 story apple store. Please not something that will be dated before it's completed.  That being said Marketstreet is doing a pretty good job of developing so far, better than a surface parking lot for sure.

I work downtown now in the AT&T building and as I was leaving downtown, I noticed a portion of the parking lot next to the Encore has been ripped up. Has the SoBro officially broken ground?

Next to or across the street from?  Because if it was directly next to Encore...that would be Sheet Music...right?

In the spirit of the Flatiron building, i would like to share, what i consider, to be one of the most beautiful buildings i have ever seen. I think it's a little under the radar in the world of architecture, but i love it. Something like this could never happen today, but it's a gem for sure.

I present to you, San Francisco's own Columbus Tower (aka Sentinel Building);

sentinel_building_thumb.jpg

sfcolumbustowersm_1NJ8WEYQY.jpg

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

OH THE COPPER!

Info;

Built: 1907

Floor count: 8

Architect: Salfield&Kohlberg

Address: 916 Kearny St

Current Owner: Francis Ford Coppola

I found this building by chance on my one trip to SF a few years ago, I asked someone at a bookstore across teh street about it and found out that Coppola owned it, I have a ton of pictures of it. i fell in love immediately

That is the coin shop, but Sheet Music has not broken ground and at this point neither has SoBro. SoBro groundbreaking is getting closer. I am sure Tony will squeeze all the revenue out of the lot till the last moment.

Of the three major office proposals, I think Sheet Music has a great chance. One good thing is that it will almost be shovel ready after the coin shop is removed.