Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

That is the coin shop, but Sheet Music has not broken ground and at this point neither has SoBro. SoBro groundbreaking is getting closer. I am sure Tony will squeeze all the revenue out of the lot till the last moment.

Of the three major office proposals, I think Sheet Music has a great chance. One good thing is that it will almost be shovel ready after the coin shop is removed.

It will be telling if the coin shop is re-paved and striped, or just left dirt. 

It will be telling if the coin shop is re-paved and striped, or just left dirt. 

The plan right now is to repave and use for parking. Tony wants all the ducks to be in place if Sheet Music happens, but I am sure he wants revenue off the property too. The billboard will come down too, if it has not already.

Always thought The Jade Hotel in The West Village of NYC would work extremely well for this site. 16 stories, but 12 stories could work here as well. 

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/10/realestate/commercial/a-hotel-building-boom-in-new-york.html

The entrance finalized...

http://www.thestar.com/life/travel/2013/05/09/travel_deals_live_the_life_of_the_great_gatsby_with_a_new_york_city_hotel_discount.html

Tavern 96 to open in Bridgestone Arena today.

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2014/01/bridgestone-arena-opens-tavern-96.html

Quote:

"The restaurant features 16 beers on tap, another 47 in bottles and menu items like sandwiches, nachos and other bar food. The 2,500-square-foot space features dark walls and warm wood tables, and opens onto a more than 4,000-square-foot plaza, part of Bridgestone Arena's recent face lift facing the Music City Center."

• Like 1

William had mentioned that to me about three weeks ago. I had forgotten about that. I think CB Ragland owns that building too.

work should be starting on the old Acme building at 1st and Broadway any day now.

They are already working on it. I was down there last week and there were a number of workers on site. That is great, because that building has been vacant for so long.

I'll admit my memory is horrible, but this is the first I've heard that the proposed Hyatt on lower Broadway might not happen and instead might be parcelled off for street-retail (including a potential "retail pharmacy," which I'd interpret as Walgreens). Is this new or has this info already been floated around?

It seems silly to waste prime street-front property on one- or two-story retail, so hopefully they'll get more use out of the property than that. Here's hoping.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20140204/BUSINESS/302040072/Proposed-Hyatt-site-Broadway-could-go-retail

Edited by Jamie Hall

In many cities, there are.

On the other hand, there are chain retail units that have fit quite nicely into existing historic buildings.  For example, downtown Chicago has a 7-11 in a 3-story 19th century building and the store windows feature cafe curtains hanging from attractive brass rails.  There is also I believe a McDonalds in an 1870s-ish building that if I recall correctly has an articulated cast-iron facade.  Some of those businesses will play by design guidelines rules if the city will stand its ground and if the retailer wants in that market badly enough.  Still, I think that a Walgreens/CVS or something like that on Broadway would be a tremendous waste of unique street frontage.  I just wish that the Walgreens in the Arcade would clean up its act.

Edited by bwithers1
  • Like 1

Old theater site consider for restaurant space. Not able to say which company it is yet. This the building on the SE corner of 4th and Monroe.

This served as the Peafowl theater from ca 1915 to 1929. I gave WW the heads up on this when I saw it was for sale and did a little research on the building.

Article is pay right now but will open at some point.

http://nashvillepost.com/news/2014/1/30/ex_germantown_theater_building_could_be_resused_as_restaurant_space

When the article describes the history of this building as once housing an "intimate theater," my mind wonders, "how intimate?"  It was the Roaring '20s after all!

• Like 1

Again BW1 you are the voice of reason. It is far too easy to target companies for political reasons or reasons unrelated to the question at hand. I fully support if you choose not to support those enterprises, for whatever reason, with your purchases. However, to call for bans (SF this is not named at you because I hope your comment was tongue-in-cheek) takes that same choice away from others...

Now, I do agree with the article that retail at these locations do not seem to fully realize the potential of the site(s) but after 8 years of failed proposals I support the property owners decision to cut whatever deal will provide them with closure.

^^^

My only wish is that it would continue across Lafayette as a substantial road to give a more direct route to the Gulch via 2nd Ave. 

I also think a major intersection would help boost the 'Lafayette' neighborhood that they are trying to grow. Instead, now, people are rushing to get off Lafayette or continuing to the roundabout. Make it a crossroads.

• Like 1