Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

:( Me too...it's a beauty.  Probably the last of it's kind in the city.  It really is a shame because that structure could easily be absorbed by this new project and re-purposed in some way...but no...completely unimaginative developers that prefer to follow preset cheap and easy formula instead of being creative and putting their own mark on a project seem to dominate this city.

• Like 1

I don't know why Nashville hasn't yet seen restoration of old facades with newer portions set behind the historic portion. This is fairly common in large metros, especially with large old buildings in the core. Nashville has fewer and fewer old structures. 

I've long thought that those buildings along the south side of the Church Street viaduct would be perfect for a multi-tiered entertainment mixed-use complex with a couple of towers and parking garage to serve as the hub for Gulch. With the viaduct and the alleys on the lower level it would be a really cool place with music venues, restaurant, retail and residential (tying into the 12th and Porter venues at the back).  Hotel in the Gulch seems to be hitting a saturation point.  An office tower may be perfect in the "triangle" across Church from the 11-11 apartments bordering the abandoned railroad tracks.  I heard that property is owned by the Gannett/Tennessean and currently used for parking, but they are looking into selling that property conditional on a new parking garage.  Anyway, I've had my eyes on that stretch of Church for a long time. 

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 3

Thanks for that.    It looks like the project was redesigned to retain the clover leaf street plan.    I wonder if that was a Metro requirement or if the developer decided it would be less expensive to work with the existing site as is.   

I would have preferred that Madison St. be squared off at 2nd and 3rd to eliminate the asphalt islands and tricky pedestrian crossings.     But, glad to see this is going somewhere. 

Edited by CenterHill

Well , there are two Buildings that will be part of the Sounds development along with the Embry project all south of Jefferson. North of Jefferson thee s this project, the one where RD Herbert is and HG Hill has plans for a another project between 4th and 5th. I don't know the e act count on all but would estimate 1500 units and that is not including what s under construction.

• Like 2

Yeah, seems like it'll fit that corner nicely.  I wonder what sort of materials the exterior will be?  The style is supposed to be a "nod to Flemish architecture."

That was what I had heard too. As far as the materials, I think they will be good, as Jim does high quality work. Wish he would do all of Germantown's vacant lots.

hope the people who end up living there really enjoy traditional German style music, that intersection is the main area for the Germantown Festival every year.

I hope that the Germantown Festival has more Germanic stuff than the Octboberfest.  I went to that one a year or so ago with a friend from out of town who was really quite disappointed.  There was like almost nothing German there, just a couple of really long lines for beer with a bunch or arts and crafts vendors peddling their wares.  He made the statement, which I have to agree with, that even Covington, Kentucky's Octoberfest blew Nashville's out of the water.  But I am also learning that the Germantown Fest and the Octoberfest are two separate events or something like that, so maybe one is better than the other. 

I hope that the Germantown Festival has more Germanic stuff than the Octboberfest.  I went to that one a year or so ago with a friend from out of town who was really quite disappointed.  There was like almost nothing German there, just a couple of really long lines for beer with a bunch or arts and crafts vendors peddling their wares.  He made the statement, which I have to agree with, that even Covington, Kentucky's Octoberfest blew Nashville's out of the water.  But I am also learning that the Germantown Fest and the Octoberfest are two separate events or something like that, so maybe one is better than the other. 

They've expanded it to 2 days this past year, so it's a little bit better.  But, yeah, it's not really an authentic experience.  That likely has to do with the fact that it's run by the Catholic church, so things can't get too decadent.  Still, I always have fun at this.