Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

Well the Westin here in Virginia Beach is 38 stories at 508' with only 236 rooms. It is mixed use with condos and of course has a spire. So who knows how the Westin in Nashville could turn out. And isn't that plot of land on a higher elevation than the surrounding area?

Rumored lower Broad Walgreens stirs wounds of scuttled hotel

http://www.wkrn.com/story/24758583/rumored-lower-broad-walgreens-stirs-wounds-of-scuttled-hotel

24758583_BG2.jpg

24758583_BG1.jpg

OH NO....say it aint so! Please NO!!!

We already have a Walgreens on 5th in the Arcade.

Wasn't the point of the Ave of the Arts and making it two-way was to get patrons from lower broad to explore upper 5th ave and the arcade area?

So the Walgreens in the arcade would close?? If they are coing to put retail in that spot, buy all the parcels and put a nice urban 2 story grocery store.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/24758583/rumored-lower-broad-walgreens-stirs-wounds-of-scuttled-hotel

24758583_BG2.jpg

24758583_BG1.jpg

Wasn't the point of the Ave of the Arts and making it two-way was to get patrons from lower broad to explore upper 5th ave and the arcade area?

So the Walgreens in the arcade would close?? If they are coing to put retail in that spot, buy all the parcels and put a nice urban 2 story grocery store.

I like the design of the Walgreens better than what's proposed for the old convention center site  :ermm:

• Like 1

24758583_BG2.jpg

24758583_BG1.jpg

I'm pro both a Walgreens and a grocery store but putting either one on Broadway there makes it pretty useless for locals.

Well the Westin here in Virginia Beach is 38 stories at 508' with only 236 rooms. It is mixed use with condos and of course has a spire. So who knows how the Westin in Nashville could turn out. And isn't that plot of land on a higher elevation than the surrounding area?

The point may be moot. The height limit on that block is 30 stories and 300 feet anyway, unless they apply for a height variance.

• Like 1

The Westin Hotel site on the roundabout does sit higher than most of downtown. It should be about the same as the Tennessee Tower up the street. If the hotel is around 30 floors, it should be one of the taller buildings in the city, when viewed from the south. Maybe Ron has some info on how many floors the hotel will have?

All I know, is that with current zoning according to someone with the engeneering firm, they can go 30 without a variance and he did say it was 400 rooms. I am just doing the math. The site is a somewhat larger than the Hilton Garden Inn site with twice the rooms. It is going to be full service, so at least two maybe three floors will be meeting rooms, restaurant, and bar, and maybe something else. It also depends if parking is wrapped, underground or on a pedestal. A lot of variables here. I think we will know something sooner now, rather than later.

• Like 2

All I know, is that with current zoning according to someone with the engeneering firm, they can go 30 without a variance and he did say it was 400 rooms. I am just doing the math. The site is a somewhat larger than the Hilton Garden Inn site with twice the rooms. It is going to be full service, so at least two maybe three floors will be meeting rooms, restaurant, and bar, and maybe something else. It also depends if parking is wrapped, underground or on a pedestal. A lot of variables here. I think we will know something sooner now, rather than later.

Surely they would build a detached garage, I doubt they would go underground or do a pedestal. You know it took them 18 months just to do the new garage at the Nashville City Center! They don't need a 3 year project if rooms are needed now. I am betting on 15-20 stories with a detached garage. Something they can build concurrently like they are going to do with the Hilton Garden Inn. I think that garage will be detached in the back.

Just a feeling, but I expect this project to have an elevated parking structure that will serve multiple purposes, including said hotel... a fair amount of retail with a possible pair of department store anchors... and residential when the time comes. That's why I think the parking structure will be put up in tandem with the hotel, but likely toward the back of the property, away from the roundabout.  People generally do not like to drive underground to park.  So the first portions will be the hotel at the corner of 8th and the 5-7 levels of parking adjacent to the west. If these developers are smart, they will know that parking could be a huge cash cow for them. When time comes, they would add the residential and retail to the south of the hotel, fronting the rest of the roundabout. Just what I'd expect. 

I like the design of the Walgreens better than what's proposed for the old convention center site  :ermm:

I'm fine with a drug store going there.    Lower Broad doesn't have to be 100% honky tonks and boots.     Many cities have drug stores every few blocks in the urban core.  The Arcade Walgreens caters to downtown office workers and has limited hours that reflect the foot traffic pattern of that part of town.   When it is open, it does a booming business.    A Lower Broad location would serve a different clientele, including tourists and SoBro office workers.   It would probably have longer hours as well.    

Now if it's an either/or, I'd rather keep the Arcade drug store (says he selfishly).  

I'm pro both a Walgreens and a grocery store but putting either one on Broadway there makes it pretty useless for locals.

I actually like the design, for a Walgreens, but I agree with you.  I don't understand the location, really. 

Edited by BnaBreaker

I don't love the idea of a walgreens going into that site, but at least it's human scale.

And I will say, I've seen one or two walgreens lately that are a few steps above what we are used to seeing. There is one on Powell St. in SF which is pretty spiffy. Coffee shop. Deli. Health foods. It would probably be pretty handy on that corner.

It is my understanding that the image of Walgreens at Broadway and 3rd Avenue is something that WKRN photoshpped for the story they were doing on the RUMOR/SPECULATION of a Walgreens going in at that location.  They interviewed some folks on the street, plus Butch Spyridon from the Convention & Visitiors organization, but they got no official comment from Walgreens on any possibility of a store going on that site.  So any design commentary is premature, I believe.  The whole thing would have to go through a design approval process, right?

This is the first time I've heard this assertion. Do you have a source to confirm your claim?

ML is correct. In my building where people are given one parking space with their unit don't use them. They prefer to park on the surface lot out back, so most of the spaces for residents are vacant. The younger women in the building say they are afraid of being caught and assaulted in a parking garage.

When I was in the hotel industry, many guests preferred to park on a surface lot and steer clear of the garage.

Found this....Haven't heard much lately on this site until now.

Nashville building owned by federal government falling apart

NASHVILLE, TN (WSMV) -

A building owned by taxpayers is falling to pieces, but the federal governmenticon1.png is dragging its feet with the prime piece of downtown Nashville real estate.

The brick facade on the old Hewgley music store at Seventh Avenue North and Commerce has fallen off, and officials have now closed the entire sidewalk in front of the store, where bricks litter the ground behind the barricade.

The crumbling building is owned by the federal government, which bought much of the big block 10 years ago.

The original plan was to build a new federal courthouse on the property, but that project is still on hold.

The Government Accountabilityicon1.png Office has done studies that question whether Nashville really needs a new courthouse.

"The federal government needs to sell this property," said Richard Wallace, who sells real estate.

Wallace sees the block as an eyesore - property that should be back in private hands and on the tax rolls.

"I've had people in all this week - today from out of town, tomorrow from Austin, TX, the next day from Huntsville, AL - everyone's looking for sites for retail, for apartment buildings, for office buildings. This is a great block," he said. - The Feds need to sell this prime spot and let the private sector develop it....hopefully not into a parking lot. What do you all think would be the best use of this spot?

U.S. Rep. Jim Cooper, D-Nashville, wants the government to keep the land, still contending a federal courthouse will be built there someday. - Keep wishing Jimmy....will be built "someday" - meaning NEVER

In the meantime, the federal government's General Services Administration has closed the sidewalk to protect pedestrians and said it will hire a contractor to demolish the building in the spring.

While the old building will come down, the future of the block is still very much up in the air.

Copyright 2014 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

http://www.wsmv.com/story/24769063/nashville-building-owned-by-federal-government-falling-apart

Edited by nashmoney

I wonder if this is an irrational response to a perceived threat, or a rational response to a place that has been shown to be more dangerous.

ML is correct. In my building where people are given one parking space with their unit don't use them. They prefer to park on the surface lot out back, so most of the spaces for residents are vacant. The younger women in the building say they are afraid of being caught and assaulted in a parking garage.

When I was in the hotel industry, many guests preferred to park on a surface lot and steer clear of the garage.

The Library garage has had a few rapes, and the Sheraton had several break ins, so yes people don't like parking garages. My building is in East Nashville and it backs up to MDHA workforce housing right off the interstate with plenty of homeless around. The young women say they can run away on a surface lot, but they cannot in a parking garage.

I do believe females are more likely to park in a well lighted surface parking lot than a man. Also they are going to lock their car and home (even during the day) more than guys do. I don't have real numbers but, a lifetime of observation tells me a fear of being trapped by a man is well ingrained.Think about it, guys are doing a high percentage of all violent crime. 

Im not a woman, but to me I feel safer having my car in a closed-in, relatively secure location with a guard sitting at the only entrance/exit rather than being out in the middle of some parking lot where nobody is watching.  :dontknow: 

Edited by BnaBreaker