Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

The Twelve Twelve facebook page is advertising one bedroom units starting at 263k.  Anybody stop in and talk to them about the development, condos vs. apartments, or how big these one bedroom units are?  Based on my experience of condo shopping a few years ago, it seems like the smallest units in these big developments are around 600 sq ft.  If 263k for 600ish sq ft is the case, I'll be a very happy camper for the value of my unit in the Icon :)

Edited by musiczealot
  • Like 1

I like this one the best, too.  Although, they kicked out the Farmer's Market!

It looks like they've replaced the farmers market with a satellite meharry campus with a clinic, academic buildings, student housing, etc... and then moved the farmers market closer to the river. I think the market is number 3 on that rendering. I like the harvard one best because it is intentional not only about mixing uses (institutional, recreational, commercial, residential, public space, etc...) but also users (students, workforce, market, luxury).

Nashville's best neighborhoods are the ones where there is a mixture of different housing types and rent levels. It creates a vibrancy that just doesn't happen when everybody is at basically the same stage of life. The only thing I see lacking is the omission of a neighborhood elementary or middle school. It would also be nice if the proposed "community wellness center" was explicit about having services and programs for seniors, and if at least some of the housing was intentional about meeting the specific needs of older adults.

The one thing that seems to be consistent across the submissions is an emphasis on sustainable design elements that embrace the river and the historic spring and also a lack of surface parking, which I like quite a bit.

Metro planning should consider picking out the best elements of these submissions and working with community members to create an urban design overlay for sulphur dell. There is going to be a bonanza of growth here over the next decade. It would be a shame for these well made plans to go to waste.

Edited by chelovek
  • Like 4

Looks like a little market is opening up in the old building just south of the new Hyatt hotel in 3rd ave.

Went by this today.   There's spray painted stenciling on the back of the building (facing KVB) that I think is new (or just haven't noticed it before).  It says, "Souvenirs, Tobacco, T-shirts/Hats, Coffee and Soda".    woo hoo!   That fills a void. 

• Like 1

Went by this today.   There's spray painted stenciling on the back of the building (facing KVB) that I think is new (or just haven't noticed it before).  It says, "Souvenirs, Tobacco, T-shirts/Hats, Coffee and Soda".    woo hoo!   That fills a void. 

Disgusting. Tacky. Pathetic. The whole place looks like a piece of junk.

WW

People do like to drink (sodas, teas, coffee, water, etc.). Some people like to partake in tobacco products. Some people might want to let loose and grab a cowboy hat (When in Rome...). And people might want a souvenir or two. I don't see what the problem is. The stenciled sign might be a little low rent, but it is the backside of a left over suburban-style commercial building. Sometimes the buildings in a city are just functional rather than glamorous and that's actually OK. Speaking of Rome, it wasn't built in a day. 

• Like 1

People do like to drink (sodas, teas, coffee, water, etc.). Some people like to partake in tobacco products. Some people might want to let loose and grab a cowboy hat (When in Rome...). And people might want a souvenir or two. I don't see what the problem is. The stenciled sign might be a little low rent, but it is the backside of a left over suburban-style commercial building. Sometimes the buildings in a city are just functional rather than glamorous and that's actually OK. Speaking of Rome, it wasn't built in a day. 

The point is, there is already an over-abundance of cheap, tacky souvenir shops.  Nobody is saying they shouldn't exist anywhere, at all. 

Usually, it's the high rent that keeps marginal businesses like this from locating in such a high-profile (or potentially so) location.  Isn't this parcel owned by Michael Hayes' firm?

I was told by a contractor when the project first started this was not a long term business. It is mainly there to service the construction crews working on The Hilton Garden Inn, and other projects. It won't be there but a couple of years.

• Like 1

are there any reported projects lined up for the huge parking lot across from Gulch Crossings?

Pretty sure I saw a sign up on that space as I was driving by advertising that land for sale.

That is all Market Street land. They have signs up on most of the property they own down there and at some point it will all be developed.