Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I hope they open up 11th now. They screwed up most of that area royally during the evening rush hour on Wednesday with the closure. I hope  the closure is not permanent.  

However, it seems that if you want to build something in Nashville, you get to close down an important street. It's getting to be a mess.

I agree.  It's been nightmareish trying to get into or out of the Gulch from the North.  It really shows the importance of 11th avenue as far as traffic flow is concerned. 

Hopefully this will start to make the area along 12th and the area along 8th a little more cohesive. Right now, I wouldn't feel comfortable walking between those two areas at night along division, but with this and the under construction Fairfield there may be enough foot traffic and development that it ties those two areas together.

I guess growing up in East Nashville in the 80's/90's has made me immune to walking in "unsafe" areas...I would have no problem at all walking from the Gulch over to say...The Pour House at night time these days.

• Like 3

I guess growing up in East Nashville in the 80's/90's has made me immune to walking in "unsafe" areas...I would have no problem at all walking from the Gulch over to say...The Pour House at night time these days.

Agreed.  That area seems pretty tame to me, but I guess it's just a matter of perception. 

• Like 4

Agreed.  That area seems pretty tame to me, but I guess it's just a matter of perception. 

Anyone who thinks that area seems unsafe has never walked down a street in pretty much any major city outside of a tourist area.  Not every place that doesn't have planters on the sidewalks and boutiques along the streets is dangerous.

• Like 3

Anyone who thinks that area seems unsafe has never walked down a street in pretty much any major city outside of a tourist area.  Not every place that doesn't have planters on the sidewalks and boutiques along the streets is dangerous.

Tell me about it.  I couldn't agree more.  I have friends up this way, and it's pretty much exclusively the friends from the burbs that think this way, that assume that any street inside the Chicago city limits that isn't within several blocks of Wrigley Field  or Millennium Park and/or doesn't feature a Jamba Juice or Pinkberry or Caribou Coffee etc., is a dangerous place that one should never set foot in.  Even though they've been here many times before, they still assume the street I live on is not a place you should walk at night. 

The truth is, that even in the most seedy neighborhoods, as long as you keep to yourself, don't act like a fool, treat people with a basic level of respect and conduct yourself with a basic level of street smarts, the odds are highly, highly in your favor that nothing will happen to you, regardless of who you are or what you look like.  People sometimes act as if there are scary characters crouching behind every other dumpster, just waiting to beat you up or take your money. 

Edited by BnaBreaker
  • Like 4

I see a decent amount of people walking back and forth, foot traffic seems to have picked up since I moved in.  I've never felt unsafe in area but I'm sure some of the Gulchies do.  I agree that the Fairfield is going to put a good amount of foot traffic on Division and will help the two areas feel more connected.  I noticed that the the Carquest auto parts store at the corner of 8th and Division is for sale, I think its a cool little building and hope its repurposed.

Also 11th is finally back open!

Agree Division over there is perfectly safe. There's little foot traffic because most of the businesses are not of the variety one walks to, but that's changing. As for the Carquest, I don't know, I've actually bought things there just because it's convenient and on the way home. It's a prime location, though, and the neighborhood around them is evolving away from the automotive-oriented businesses. I think the spring shop behind Arnolds is still open but businesses like that are slowly getting squeezed out.

I see a decent amount of people walking back and forth, foot traffic seems to have picked up since I moved in. I've never felt unsafe in area but I'm sure some of the Gulchies do. I agree that the Fairfield is going to put a good amount of foot traffic on Division and will help the two areas feel more connected. I noticed that the the Carquest auto parts store at the corner of 8th and Division is for sale, I think its a cool little building and hope its repurposed.

Also 11th is finally back open!

I walk down to Froogle, my only gripe is there could be a better crosswalk situation at 8th and Division. The area by Gleaves feels a little sketchy though, it could use some more light at night.

I walk down to Froogle, my only gripe is there could be a better crosswalk situation at 8th and Division. The area by Gleaves feels a little sketchy though, it could use some more light at night.

I agree.  This city could use better crosswalks/sidewalks in hundreds of different locations.  I think sidewalks/cross walks and bike lanes are all areas where we need to step it up big time.  It feels like real life frogger out here on these streets!

I told William, that needed to be addressed for sure. Busy street with little activation at this point. I would also recommend a streetscape going from 8th to the Musica roundabout. I do a lot of walking downtown and that was one of my concerns. I am sure the new Division street connector will be fine. It's just on the other side of Eighth I am concerned about for sure.

I do think the Vorhees building may be developed sooner, rather than later now that it has changed hands.

I hope someone can persuade R J Young to develop the property they have there. It is a key part of the puzzle in that area of the Gulch.

1) I like that they want to use this particular building. Too many old churches have been destroyed after they have been abandoned by their parishes. 

2) I like the language they use about keeping a lot of the interior elements while adding some modern touches. I agree that we need diversity in venues, and this one should be cool...and the location is good...in time, it will be a spectacular location.

This is really old news, but is an interesting update.  The announcement that this was sold to a music industry person for use as a music/event space made the news a long time ago, around the time that it was announced that EOA was moving to 5th/Main.  But I am glad to hear some new details.  I am especially glad to hear about the restoration of the bell tower - which is really interesting, unique, expensive, and the opposite of utilitarian - and the glass wall that will open out to a patio.  I think that some of the interior "alley" spaces in those blocks south of KVB have the potential to be really great.

Edited by bwithers1