Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

MHZC approved a variance for the sign proposal for the ACME building so that it can be a little bit higher than normally allowed.  Not larger, just higher.  Part of the justification for the height variance cited by the Commissioners was that the applicant will preserve the checker pattern tiles that remain on the corners of the lower two floors.  Those are painted tin applied to the brick and are original to the structure.  Had the sign been placed within the regulated range, it's installation would have resulted in damage to some of those tiles.  An added plus for the applicant was that it would make the sign more visible from the 5th/Broadway intersection in order to draw visitors down to that end of Broadway by the river. 

• Like 1

So, so, so very sad. Building another park near the river, but not connected to the river (like Cumberland Park). Nashville could learn SO much from towns like Owensboro, KY or Chattanooga, TN.

Keep the faith ... maybe someday .....

Not sure I follow. This looks to be directly beside the river. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you.

So, so, so very sad. Building another park near the river, but not connected to the river (like Cumberland Park). Nashville could learn SO much from towns like Owensboro, KY or Chattanooga, TN.

Keep the faith ... maybe someday .....

As others said, not sure I'm getting what you're trying to sell. They're rehabbing Riverfront Park, which is sorely needed, and adding elements to it. The east bank has a much more shallow slope and can be integrated easier than the steep west bank.

In many ways it is impossible to connect with the river because of the distance down and the fact that the section of the Cumberland in question has huge differences in width and depth because of the narrowness of the river. This does connect to the river at the base of Riverfront Park. I am unsure how the flood wall will interact with the current park. I do know the wall will be movable in some aspect. I really do not see this as a lost opportunity. Every river interacts differently with with the surrounding area. There is no way to compare Chattanooga and the Tennessee with Nashville and the Cumberland. I think we are doing the best with what we have.

There are huge areas of Nashville core that are in a flood plain. I am unsure the last time Chatanooga last flooded downtown. Maybe an item for research, but Nashville has flooded several times in the last 100 years or so. That needs to be taken into account. One of the best things Nashville can do to work off the river, IMO, is to get PSC relocated sooner rather than later and use the area that is in the flood plain there as a massive East Bank green area.

• Like 3

I wish there was a way to control the water level and movement in the downtown stretch without locks and dams.  With such a narrow and swift-moving stretch of murky water downtown, it just doesn't seem to be as "useable" as a calm-water lake or bay.  It seems I've noticed talks somewhere of being able to do some jet-ski rentals, but it just doesn't seem like a place suitable for that.

I wish there was a way to control the water level and movement in the downtown stretch without locks and dams. With such a narrow and swift-moving stretch of murky water downtown, it just doesn't seem to be as "useable" as a calm-water lake or bay. It seems I've noticed talks somewhere of being able to do some jet-ski rentals, but it just doesn't seem like a place suitable for that.

I wonder if the stadium on an island plan would help with that. Not sure if it is still an option or not. I just know it would be waaaay down the timeline.

• Like 1

LOL... actually, I know a senior manager with the Army Corps of Engineers, and he says the case could be made for federal funding for the stadium on an island, as flood abatement.  No one knows for sure because Nashville's deadbeat congressman (Cooper) hasn't even bothered to inquire as to the possibility. Not even after the flood of 2010.  I find it amazing that Cooper keeps getting re-elected. 

• Like 1

So...if they did the "stadium on an island" deal, would they re-route the river around the stadium and make the water in front of downtown a "lake"...or would the water around the stadium be a canal, similar to the Riverwalk waterway in San Antonio?  In other words, how would it help the waterway in front of downtown?

Ok...finally saw a photo of what you guys are talking about (the stadium on an island).  

They would have to relocate a ton of properties north and east of the stadium...but it would be a really nice way to help with flooding and would make an amazing green space!

http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/Nashvilles-New-Island.html

Edited by titanhog

LOL... actually, I know a senior manager with the Army Corps of Engineers, and he says the case could be made for federal funding for the stadium on an island, as flood abatement.  No one knows for sure because Nashville's deadbeat congressman (Cooper) hasn't even bothered to inquire as to the possibility. Not even after the flood of 2010.  I find it amazing that Cooper keeps getting re-elected.

Probably because the position, in the political sense, is pretty much worthless, and a dead end at this point.

Because of the population of Davidson County/Nashville, you are basically the representative for Nashville and a tiny portion outside of Nashville. And because of the setup of the Metropolitan Government, the Mayor of Nashville is a more significant position as far as responsibility.

Think about it this way...if you could win the election for Tennessee's 5th District, you could win the election for the mayor of Nashville. Which would you rather win? In one, you're an executive leader of a major city. In the other, you are one of two Democrats currently serving as US Reps in Tennessee (because...what else would Memphis and Nashville elect?). It was 5-4 in favor of the Democrats a few years back...which may have provided some slight incentive. Now...not so much.

And after that, what is the next step for a politician? The mayor doesn't become the US Rep unless their political career is over (see: Boner, Bill). The mayor wants to move on to Governor or US Senator (which is probably impossible in the current climate).

In short: Big four mayors and probably even some state senators have more power than the 5th District Congressman.

So...if they did the "stadium on an island" deal, would they re-route the river around the stadium and make the water in front of downtown a "lake"...or would the water around the stadium be a canal, similar to the Riverwalk waterway in San Antonio?  In other words, how would it help the waterway in front of downtown?

Ok...finally saw a photo of what you guys are talking about (the stadium on an island).  

They would have to relocate a ton of properties north and east of the stadium...but it would be a really nice way to help with flooding and would make an amazing green space!

http://www.governing.com/blogs/view/Nashvilles-New-Island.html

Ah, nice find.  The idea was to increase water front areas which is what I think was referring to for river access similar to other cities.

6a00d8341ca3bb53ef00e54f68a5e18833-800wi

Here is the link to the study from 2007:

http://www.nashvilleriverfront.org/pdf/nrf0601_finalreport.pdf

SItes for the riverfront development.  All the details you could want!

http://www.nashvilleriverfront.org/facts.html

http://www.nashvilleriverfront.org/index.html

http://www.nashvilleriverfront.org/media.html

If I get the time I will try to go through to cut then post images and info from these PDFs.

And after that, what is the next step for a politician? The mayor doesn't become the US Rep unless their political career is over (see: Boner, Bill).

Actually, that hasn't happened. Both Bill Boner and Richard Fulton served in Congress prior to getting elected Mayor, not after (and Boner conveniently did so just as he was being investigated for ethics violations).

Actually, that hasn't happened. Both Bill Boner and Richard Fulton served in Congress prior to getting elected Mayor, not after (and Boner conveniently did so just as he was being investigated for ethics violations).

Well, in any case, it is moot now. It's a step down from the mayor's office at present.