Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

I thought that was one of the intersections proposed to be realigned in SoBro.     Must not be or Matthews wouldn't have located there.   

Actually, I didn't think about that until Smeags pointed it out. The location and shape of the intersection, and the consistently slow motion of Metro when it comes to infrastructure, it all explains why Matthews would do something like this apparently "on the cheap".  It's actually a good strategy: buy the property that's been 'tagged' for realignment; renovate the building at minimum expense; sit on the property until such time that Metro finally gets around to planning the street alignment... then sue them because they're not offering enough for the sliver it would take to straighten out the streets because you just invested in the building.  Brilliant!  

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/4/25/guess_which_mixed_use_district_is_eyed_for_another_large_scale_project

For Germantown, the projects keep coming. And then some. The 16-project number is unmatched by any other mixed-use district not located within downtown Nashville.  

It is no secret that Nashville’s historic near north side (with its various neighborhoods sometimes collectively referred to as North Capitol) is attracting major developer interest.  Nashville is hot in general. And Germantown might be redefining that heat.
  • Like 2

Hoping I'm not breaking any rules. Rendering is from the Tennessean. Aerials are from Google, of course. Text is from Power Point. My cup of orange juice is from Publix.

My pajamas are from Target.

You ship your pants, bed, or drawers with KMart!

• Like 1

Story in the post about sidewalk project in North Nashville:  http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/4/25/north_nashville_sidewalks_could_send_positive_message

Remember the debate around the Pedestrian Bridge, and how that was derailed because other council members didn't like paying for an expensive bridge downtown when their districts don't have sidewalks?  

Ironic that this project is happening in Erica Gilmore's district   :lol:

Ironic that this project is happening in Erica Gilmore's district   :lol:

I'm sure that District 19 will benefit, but it sounds like this Community Development Block Grant money will extend out further into North Nashville as well.   The areas cited in the quotes are not in District 19.  Rosa Parks and Great Circle Road is in Council District 2 - Frank Harrison.  Seifried, Lacy, Albion and Alameda Streets are in Council District 21 - Edith Taylor Langster.

Edited by bwithers1

Does anyone believe we'll ever get a stretch of high end retail downtown...ala a small "Miracle Mile" in Chicago?  

Seems it would be great to have an area of non-touristy retail down there that would also be "destination" shopping.

Seems as if that is something we are going to have to hold out for. It is very badly needed. I wish we would get a Hill Village type of product and the only place for that would bein SoBro somewhere. As for a large department store retailer, I am afraid we may have lost them for good, but we can always hope.

Sobro really doesn't have an identity. These days I just consider everything north of KVB just to be "downtown."  It will obviously have a mix of residential and office uses, but the dominant identifiers are the MCC, museums, entertainment venues, and the associated hotels.  Those things can all support retail in spots, but I don't see any particular street in Sobro becoming a retail-specific mecca like MichiganAve.

I would honestly have expected higher-end chain and some boutique retail to concentrate in the Gulch.  Maybe that will still happen along 11th/12th.  I think that that is the most likely/viable focus street/district for those types of stores.

I think that the independent boutique clothing stuff will continue to focus in the 12South area. 

I'm honestly not sure where Hillsboro Village is headed these days from a retail perspective.  

East Nashville has some clothing options, but we are heavy on the vintage clothing, not so much on the "new" clothing.

Edited by bwithers1

Sobro really doesn't have an identity. These days I just consider everything north of KVB just to be "downtown."  It will obviously have a mix of residential and office uses, but the dominant identifiers are the MCC, museums, entertainment venues, and the associated hotels.  Those things can all support retail in spots, but I don't see any particular street in Sobro becoming a retail-specific mecca like MichiganAve.

I would honestly have expected higher-end chain and some boutique retail to concentrate in the Gulch.  Maybe that will still happen along 11th/12th.  I think that that is the most likely/viable focus street/district for those types of stores.

I think that the independent boutique clothing stuff will continue to focus in the 12South area. 

I'm honestly not sure where Hillsboro Village is headed these days from a retail perspective.  

East Nashville has some clothing options, but we are heavy on the vintage clothing, not so much on the "new" clothing.

There will be plenty of space for retail on Broadway/West End when the car dealerships move away. I mean, by the time that happens, Division, Demonbreun, and maybe even Church and Charlotte will have filled up, so there might actually be the residential demand in the neighborhood. :whistling:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2014/4/25/guess_which_mixed_use_district_is_eyed_for_another_large_scale_project

For Germantown, the projects keep coming. And then some. The 16-project number is unmatched by any other mixed-use district not located within downtown Nashville.  

It is no secret that Nashville’s historic near north side (with its various neighborhoods sometimes collectively referred to as North Capitol) is attracting major developer interest.  Nashville is hot in general. And Germantown might be redefining that heat.

"With Broadstone Germantown, the fire-hot north side district now has nine multi-residential-unit buildings (most large-scale and some with retail to be included) proposed and three under construction. In addition, three adaptive reuse projects are planned. And another major project that has yet to be reported (details forthcoming) almost certainly will materialize."

Good article, WW, highlighting the Germantown/Salemtown buzz.     Help me with the project count for the 9 proposed multi-residential-unit buildings in Germantown.    Last paragraph suggests that the Germantown count does not include projects in Salemtown (of which there are several under construction or proposed), First TN Park (Sounds/Embrey) and 909.   Under construction includes Werthan Flats, Co-Housing, Lexus and Square at 4th.      Last week's 6th & Taylor announcement would be one of the 3 adaptive reuse projects.

For proposed multi-unit, I know of these.   Clearly I'm missing some  

Broadstone

Gramercy

RD Herbert

Morgan Park Place expansion (mixed use)

HG Hill (maybe, although nothing currently proposed)

I have a list and there are maybe a couple I am not putting on here for good reason. hehe

This covers North Capitol, Buena Vista, and Gtown.

SOUNDS BALLPARK
SOUNDS GROUP BUILDING APARTMENTS

SOUNDS PARKING
GEIST HOUSE
909 FLATS
STATE ARCHIVES
STATE MUSEUM
10TH & JEFFERSON
EMBRY PROJECT
LLEWELYN PROJECT

HILL PROJECT GTOWN
BROADSTONE GERMANTOWN
LUXUS
GERMANTOWN CO HOUSING
THE FLATS @ TAYLOR PLACE
THE WAREHOUSE @ TAYLOR PLACE
HISTORIC ROW GTOWN
THE SQUARE AT FOURTH
MORGAN PARK PLACE ADD.
PEAFOWL BUILDING
BUTCHERTOWN HALL
FOUNTAINS GERMANTOWN
6TH & TAYLOR CENTURIAN ST
GRAMERCY
6TH & TAYLOR
NO DOGS BUILDING
HISTORIC ROW GTOWN
SALMETOWN COTTAGE

BUENA VISTA PLACE

• Like 3

I'm in Las Vegas at the moment and just stopped by the Walgreens at the Venetian. This is the nicest Walgreens I have ever seen in my life. It literally feels like a mini department & grocery store with a cosmetic boutique and a juice bar. To be honest, it looks nicer than most of the department and grocery stores in Nashville.

I was originally against the idea of placing a Walgreens on Lower Broadway. But if the Walgreens is as nice as the one here on The Strip, then I will be 100% on board and I'm sure most downtown residents & visitors would be too. 

• Like 1

I'm in Las Vegas at the moment and just stopped by the Walgreens at the Venetian. This is the nicest Walgreens I have ever seen in my life. It literally feels like a mini department & grocery store with a cosmetic boutique and a juice bar. To be honest, it looks nicer than most of the department and grocery stores in Nashville.

I was originally against the idea of placing a Walgreens on Lower Broadway. But if the Walgreens is as nice as the one here on The Strip, then I will be 100% on board and I'm sure most downtown residents & visitors would be too. 

Pictures or it didn't happen!  :shades:

Just kidding...but would love to see what that look likes.  

Thanks.   That's an impressive list in a relatively small geographic area.    Incredible how much is happening, or about to happen!

When you think about how little of that was conceived 2-3 years ago (heck, how much was on the drawing board even 1 year ago), it highlights my point about the unused space around James Robertson Pkwy.    All of that activity, which doesn't even include the North Gulch, will almost certainly spill over and begin to fill in empty lots and underutilized buildings.    Bring it on!