N. Capitol/Germantown/Salemtown/Metro-Center/Elizabeth Park/HBV& Points North

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Great news!  The Geist House (circa 1888) restaurant has been rebuilt utilizing all of the original bricks they could salvage from the severe tornado damage.  I'll try to get better shots soon. Loo

Ballpark Village will be the name of the 2.6 acre mixed-use development on the SE side of First Horizon Ballpark.  It will have three 7 story structures with unknown quantities of residential units, r

The project that was once to be called  Germantown Union at 1324 North 2nd Ave. will now be called Nashville Block 5, and is being developed by New City Properties, the same folks handling the Neuhoff

Posted Images

Townhomes at Dr. D.B. Todd Jr. Blvd. and Jo Johnston Ave. (2 stories 4 units) update: complete and open.

Looking SW from intersection of Jo Johnston Ave. and Dr. D.B. Todd Jr. Blvd:

Jo Johnston & DB Todd TH, March 7, 2021.jpeg

• Like 3

Just curious, lots of streets in any city are named for people, but they're referred to by their last names (e.g. Jefferson, Molloy, Hamilton, Poston, etc.). So at what point do streets named Dr. D.B. Todd and Jo Johnston become just Todd Blvd. and Johnston Av.?  I have no idea who those people are/were but seriously it's a mouthful to say all of that when giving directions or even on a GPS map where the name blocks out other points of interest.  I have a dingbat aunt who even gets confused quite easily; for example she'd likely be looking for Dr. DB Johnston Blvd and Jo Todd Avenue if given literal directions, not that city streets should be named to accommodate dingbats (but maybe they should... LOL). 

• Confused 1

Not to be cynical, but that is what they use to use maps for.  Now people just simply use Waze or whatever GPS device they have to navigate.

I do agree that all of the name changes in the downtown area are getting a little ridiculous. I understand what the goal is, but when giving directions it is a lot easier to say 5th or 8th and Rep. John A Lewis Blvd or Rosa Parks Blvd.

I think that Metro should not be renaming street in the core because of the confusion it causes. People that have lived here will still be calling the streets by the old name causing further confusion to newcomers and visitors. Me for one out of habit. I still call Rosa Parks 8th . They need to continue to have both names up and just use honorary names. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, markhollin said:

Legacy will be the name of a new mixed-use development at 4007 Clarksville Pike near the intersection with E. Fairview Drive, across from the Bordeaux Library. The 2 & 3 story structures will include the first full-service healthcare center in the area, some retail slots, a rooftop restaurant, and eventually some apartments.  There may be a Slim & Husky's there in the future as well.  It is being put together by the Elipzo Fund and Bordeaux Community Investment Group. The first of three phases will start soon and be completed by early 2022. 

More at WKRN here:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/local-news/leaders-break-ground-on-first-mixed-use-development-in-bordeaux/

And here:

https://stayhappening.com/e/groundbreaking-of-the-historic-legacy-development-E2ISTJUB4EC

Legacy, Clarksville Hwy, April 8, 2021, render.png

Legacy, 4007 Clarksville Hwy, April 8, 2021, site map.png

I had actually taken this one off the map because I thought it was dead as it was 4 years old.

Original article here. https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/20984071/mixeduse-project-eyed-for-bordeaux

• Like 2

Repairs are moving along slowly on the historic Hopewell Missionary Baptist Church that was damaged in the March, 2020 tornado.

Looking north from Monroe St., 1/4 block east of 10th Ave. North:

Hopewell Missionary Baptis, March 7, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking NE from intersection of 10th Ave. North and Monroe St:

Hopewell Missionary Baptis, March 7, 2021, 2.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

North Lights (4 stories, 197 units) update: northern building topped-out.

Looking west from Old Matthews Rd., 1/2 bock north of West Trinity Lane:

North Lights, April 4, 2021, 1.jpeg

Looking west from Old Matthews Rd., 1/2 bock north of West Trinity Lane:

North Lights, April 4, 2021, 2.jpeg

• Like 4

1210 Rosa L. Parks Blvd. will  feature:  a) 1 story, 7,500 sq. ft. retail building for AutoZone store; and b) 1 story, 10,000 sq. ft. retail center with 2 to 4 tenant slots.  The lot is 1.18 acre and will feature a surface lot behind the structure. Karl Peters and Leonard Amdur are the developers.  A 2022 completion date is scheduled. 

More behind the Nashville Post paywall here:

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21147049/retail-buildings-eyed-for-germantown

Monroe & Rosa Parks Retail, April 11, 2021, render.png

Monroe & Rosa Parks Retail, April 11, 2021, site aerial.png

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

Monroe & Rosa Parks Retail, April 11, 2021, site map.png

• Like 3
46 minutes ago, markhollin said:

1210 Rosa L. Parks Blvd. will  feature:  a) 1 story, 7,500 sq. ft. retail building for AutoZone store; and b) 1 story, 10,000 sq. ft. retail center with 2 to 4 tenant slots.  The lot is 1.18 acre and will feature a surface lot behind the structure. Karl Peters and Leonard Amdur are the developers.  A 2022 completion date is scheduled. 

https://www.nashvillepost.com/business/development/article/21147049/retail-buildings-eyed-for-germantown

This screen shot from Smeagolsfree's excellent development map shows the site highlighted in teal at the center of the frame:

This seems like a really disappointing project for such a prominent location. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, samsonh said:

This seems like a really disappointing project for such a prominent location. 

2 hours ago, markhollin said:

The renderings look almost identical to the retail building in front of the old Wal Mart near Gallatin and Douglas. 

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 8:31 AM, AsianintheNations said:

Many of the full-name streets are named after important African American historical figures, but I am willing to bet that most Nashvillians wouldn't recognize who they were from just their last names (as opposed to say Briley Parkway or presidents' last names). So I think it plays a role in awareness of the people the streets are honoring, on the chance that a small proportion of people driving on them will Google the namesakes and perhaps identify new role models. For example, David B. Todd, MD, PhD was the first African American cardiothoracic surgeon in Nashville. The "Dr." part of the street name is important for recognizing that he was a medical (and PhD) doctor at a time when it was very difficult for Black Americans to achieve such an education, with plenty of barriers still existing today. I will freely admit that I did not know who he was until Googling it when I first moved into town. Once I knew who he was, I've never messed up which first initials go with which last name, any more than I would say displace a word from Granny White Pike or Sawyer Brown Rd (trivia: the country band is named for the road, not the other way around). Obviously, Rosa Parks is quite famous, but there I think "Parks Blvd" would look like a typo of "Park Blvd."

I think we should continue to recognize individuals with Nashville roots, especially those in the African American community who have been overlooked by the general public for far too long. I especially like that the Tennessee capital's address is 600 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

It seems like there could be a way to streamline some of the naming conventions. I'm not sure we need middle initials for most people, or their honorifics on official names. I think "Jo Johnson Ave" and "Henry Hale Blvd" do just as good of a job honoring people as ""Dr. D.B. Todd Jr. Blvd" and "Rep John A. Lewis Way." I think it's great to put the honorifics on the street signs, but maybe just now on the official names. The syllable count matters if you want people to use the name- "Representative John A Lewis Way" is 10 syllables, which replaced "5th Avenue" at 4 syllables.  "John Lewis Way" is 4. It's easier to convince people to use the new name if they don't need double the amount of time to say it!

• Like 2

Does anyone know anything about the two single story buildings that have just been demolished at the corner of 9th and Monroe? One used to be a day care and the other housed JUMP and Streetworks, two community service organizations. Both buildings were likely damaged in the tornado.