Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

a pedestrian bridge would be far far lower than 15m. The demonbreun st bridge was half that.

http://nashvillecitypaper.com/content/city-news/replacement-demonbreun-street-bridge-ready-move-forward

This is Karl Dean we're talking about, here. This is going to be a $15 million LEED Certified bridge with a moving walkway and fans to make your hair look like you were just riding in a convertible (like him).

• Like 2

They could have at least put steps from the Demonbreun St bridge to the Gulch. Short sighted people running the world again.

I agree that it was shortsighted.  But realistically, there was nothing on 11th at the time.  There still isn't a whole lot on 11th even now until you get to either the northern or southern extremes of the Gulch. 

I would be OK with Metro building such stairs, but I'm more in favor of letting the private market handle those stairs by incorporating them into a development that would itself span - and address - the two street grades. 

I will say that if a pedestrian bridge and/or stairs to 11th get built, that they need to be visually appealing and most importantly well lit.  Those stairs to Church Street are utilitarian, cramped and a little scary even in the daytime.  I would assume that in order to be ADA compliant, any stairs that are built today would also include a ramp for wheelchair accessibility, and so the stairs would cover a pretty good linear distance. 

I agree that it was shortsighted.  But realistically, there was nothing on 11th at the time.  There still isn't a whole lot on 11th even now until you get to either the northern or southern extremes of the Gulch. 

I would be OK with Metro building such stairs, but I'm more in favor of letting the private market handle those stairs by incorporating them into a development that would itself span - and address - the two street grades. 

I will say that if a pedestrian bridge and/or stairs to 11th get built, that they need to be visually appealing and most importantly well lit.  Those stairs to Church Street are utilitarian, cramped and a little scary even in the daytime.  I would assume that in order to be ADA compliant, any stairs that are built today would also include a ramp for wheelchair accessibility, and so the stairs would cover a pretty good linear distance. 

I still support the idea of a pedestrian bridge, though I think it would need to come at a time where it corresponds with new development on the other side of it, between 8th and the railroad...or if something is proposed for the lot(s) between Cummins Station and Cannery Row.

And instead of ramps, why not build an elevator? It would take up much less space than ramps and easier for ADA use than a tightly constructed ramp system.

I would like the idea of incorporating that with private development...but at the same time, let's hope private development builds it for public usage. It would pretty much defeat the purpose if stairs/elevator were built within a structure and not really meant for public use (though I'm sure the public would largely use it anyways). Hopefully if the office building proposed for 11th @ Demonbreun gets off the ground, we will see this sort of thing incorporated in the design.

Guess we will have to wait and see what North Point is going to do with the land they bought in SoBro. WW was able to determine the buyer. This is the same company that did the Home 2 Suites on Broadway. The land is on KVB between 4th and 5th that was owned by Mattews company. I will venture to say we will have at least two more hotels announced in the coming months on KVB. I do not expect masive height on any of them as these developers that own the properties are not known for anything over 12 stories or so. 

http://www.northpointhospitality.com/

http://nashvillepost.com/blogs/postbusiness/2012/12/20/will_sobro_land_buyer_build_hotel

Could have another project starting in the Gulch this next year. I will not say which one it is though. Going to have to wait and see when the announcement comes.

Also all of the Hanson Dealership buildings are now down at the NW Mutual site.

All buildings down for the Fairfield Inn & Suites site.

Lol park, it would be great if we could support all these places, but alas the money isn't there! Come to grips with it. It doesn't make Nashville a bad place

I think some of the money is there (obviously -- look at park). But the demand isn't enough to support a full store. Maybe we could support a Barney's or Versace kiosk.

Edited by UTgrad09

How about an IKEA?

See the thread for the Boyle development in the North Gulch which should be like a mini-Atlantic Station or Metropolitan at Midtown in Charlotte. I doubt that IKEA will end up there if we land one soon, but that was one of the rumored potential sites. I think Boyle has been trying to lure them. 

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/53078-boyle-tagged-to-develop-north-gulch-site-crosland-out-of-picture/ 

It is not grass, it's a mix of several species of sedums.  I don't know about the individual species, but many sedums change color over the seasons, typically from green to bronze, and almost all of them bloom heavily with white, yellow or pink flowers in Spring or Summer, so we should expect a series of color changes.  I'm not sure if the plants adjusted well--they were planted when it was too hot and they may need to be replanted--but in general the color change should be seen as a feature, not a problem.  I wouldn't take the phrase "green roof" too literally.

• Like 1

sedum flower heads do frequently turn brown in winter. it is perennial, so I wouldn't be too worried. Also, the air exposed part of the plant may whither and fall off over the winter. As this organic matter decomposes it will provide nutrients back into the roof planters. That is, if it doesn't all get blown away during the 50mph gusts we are experiencing tonight ;)

It is not grass, it's a mix of several species of sedums.  I don't know about the individual species, but many sedums change color over the seasons, typically from green to bronze, and almost all of them bloom heavily with white, yellow or pink flowers in Spring or Summer, so we should expect a series of color changes.  I'm not sure if the plants adjusted well--they were planted when it was too hot and they may need to be replanted--but in general the color change should be seen as a feature, not a problem.  I wouldn't take the phrase "green roof" too literally.

Interesting...good to know.  I was a bit concerned when it seemed so patchy earlier in the year, and all of the brown just seemed to verify my fears.

Do you all know that I looked into buying a condo at Germantown Lofts (above Germantown cafe), and mortgage lenders won't lend on those condos because the building is 50% retail.  That is the dumbest thing. The condos in that building are considered "non-warrantable" by mortgage lenders.  The condos across the street with retail below have the same problem.

So with that being the fact, maybe building these two story buildings that are half retail and half condo is not a good idea?  They can only be bought with cash, apparently, at least in a re-sale situation.

Do you all know that I looked into buying a condo at Germantown Lofts (above Germantown cafe), and mortgage lenders won't lend on those condos because the building is 50% retail.  That is the dumbest thing. The condos in that building are considered "non-warrantable" by mortgage lenders.  The condos across the street with retail below have the same problem.

So with that being the fact, maybe building these two story buildings that are half retail and half condo is not a good idea?  They can only be bought with cash, apparently, at least in a re-sale situation.

This is not good. hate to hear it.

WW

• Like 1