Inner Loop - CBD, Downtown, East Bank, Germantown, Gulch, Rutledge

smeagolsfree

A friend of mine at NES told me that his boss said they have received preliminary plans on the Methodist Publishing site development.  He didn't know the specifics but was told that there was going to be a large residential component and sizable amount of retail to go along with the Westin. Those are both things we've already suspected, but its good to hear that this thing is still in forward motion.  This property is massive, stretching from 10th (it includes the Cummings Station parking lot) to 8th then over to the round about.

• Like 1

"large residential..."

What does residential have to do with Alex Palmer or WES?

The main component of WES is the office space, and the vast majority of that is to be filled up with Parallon and SCRI. I don't see any upcoming retail really having that much of a negative effect on his project. I also don't think Gulch Crossings would even factor into the equation as I'm sure that space would be filled up rather quickly. In fact...I'm willing to bet it will probably be 85% preleased before completion. 35% of the office space has already been leased out to ESa and Cassidy Turley, and they haven't even started construction yet.

One C!ty could be enticing to HCA to put Parallon and SCRI there, but they have already gone on record saying that WES is where they prefer those companies to be, and that they would wait for Alex Palmer to iron out the few remaining details needed to proceed with the project. How long they are willing to wait, and how much longer AP needs to get this done is the million dollar question. Yes I know they also said they were looking at other options, but I think people are reading too much into that right now. Obviously HCA know's they need to have a back up plan if things don't work out, but I don't necessarily think that means that they are jumping ship. I mean, where else are they gonna go? It's not like there is two empty 20+ story office towers availiable, and space to build them on is few and far between. Not to mention how much longer that would take to get new property under contract, design the towers, and then build them. That could take years.

I understand the negativity towards this project as this has been ongoing for 10+ years. But I really think by the end of the year there will be the announcement we all have been waiting for. (and I don't mean the announcement saying this project has been scrapped.)

The development community is leaving him behind. Every project of this scale, whether it's in the same wheelhouse (Residential vs. Office), that comes to fruition or starts before WES is a slap in the face for what Alex has yet to complete. Or even so much as begin. A year and a half ago when I got the initial rumor that WES was back on the table I said I'd believe it when there was a crane. At this point, I honestly and truly wish somebody else would be in control of that property.

Trust me, I understand this project has nothing to do directly with ASP, but this is another mega project that seems to have more pieces in place to advance.

Indeed, something is wrong if a developer (Alex Palmer) cannot get a project like West End Summit underway in the booming development environment of Nashville today.  One would think that having signed lease agreements with a blue chip tenant like HCA, a commitment from InterContinental Hotels, and approved tax incentives would almost guarantee success.  With every passing month other big development projects are announced and materialize.  All that's happened at WES is a big hole and now a $1.8 million lien on the property for the excavation work done earlier this year.  I recalled they planned to hire of the person who managed construction of the Music City Center to oversee the WES project, and I'm wondering if Turner Construction is still involved.  HCA will surely have to make a decision soon as they surely won't be delayed much longer by Alex Palmer's inability to get it up.

I could. But it's so much easier with ASP. Unfortunately.

Why? Because he has one project that he proposed that has yet to happen?

Think of how many projects Tony has proposed over the years that never came to fruition.

The difference is that one is out in the press and the other keeps things close to the vest.

Why? Because he has one project that he proposed that has yet to happen?

Think of how many projects Tony has proposed over the years that never came to fruition.

The difference is that one is out in the press and the other keeps things close to the vest.

Everyone remembers Tony for Signature (and for good reason)...and he certainly pitches a lot of lofty proposals...but I think he has definitely had some success on the small/mid scale projects. Viridian is his big one to this point. Encore was of decent size. But let's not forget he has two good infill projects going (at least that he started) with Park Central and the building in front of the Baptist garage (forget the name...).

While he cranks out proposals like no developer Nashville has ever seen, it's not like he isn't getting anything off the ground. And most indications seem to say SoBro is a go. We'll see about Marriott...I think it has a pretty good chance. 505 and Sheet Music are very high profile, nice proposals...but less likely until he lands a big corporate tenant. 

Yes...Tony has a lot of irons in the fire. That's the difference. Palmer has one. One. If 505 and Sheet Music never come through, but SoBro and Marriott do, then Tony G is still a lot more successful than ASP in terms of realizing projects. 

Also, last time I checked, Tony doesn't have any unsightly chasms on his properties.

• Like 3

Everyone remembers Tony for Signature (and for good reason)...and he certainly pitches a lot of lofty proposals...but I think he has definitely had some success on the small/mid scale projects. Viridian is his big one to this point. Encore was of decent size. But let's not forget he has two good infill projects going (at least that he started) with Park Central and the building in front of the Baptist garage (forget the name...).

While he cranks out proposals like no developer Nashville has ever seen, it's not like he isn't getting anything off the ground. And most indications seem to say SoBro is a go. We'll see about Marriott...I think it has a pretty good chance. 505 and Sheet Music are very high profile, nice proposals...but less likely until he lands a big corporate tenant. 

Yes...Tony has a lot of irons in the fire. That's the difference. Palmer has one. One. If 505 and Sheet Music never come through, but SoBro and Marriott do, then Tony G is still a lot more successful than ASP in terms of realizing projects. 

Also, last time I checked, Tony doesn't have any unsightly chasms on his properties.

And yet for the encore and viridian and the two other projects you mentioned he wasn't really the lead developer. He was the local front man. Novare was behind Encore and Viridian and out of town developers were also the main backers behind the other two projects.

I hope both developers are successful, but I really think this board holds these two developers to different standards and that is annoying to me.

Edited by samsonh

And yet for the encore and viridian and the two other projects you mentioned he wasn't really the lead developer. He was the local front man. Novare was behind Encore and Viridian and out of town developers were also the main backers behind the other two projects.

I hope both developers are successful, but I really think this board holds these two developers to different standards and that is annoying to me.

So what you're saying is Tony G was smart because he brought in successful companies to make sure everything happened? Also, Tony has Park Central (which he is already out of) and the Elliston project. 

Either way, I have completely lost faith. And nothing but construction will change that.

This is the biggest reason. While Tony has a lot of proposals, they typically stay a proposal and never begin to get off the ground. WES on the other hand seemed to have ALL of the pieces together and yet, it hasn't worked out for one reason or another. This makes Tony look like a dreamer, and Alex look like he's just incompetent (whether true or not). 

Guess we can say Gulch Crossing is officially underway. Large equipment and workers on site and property now seems to have active work. I will update development map to show this.

Absolutely thrilled to see work starting. That's going to be an amazing addition just based on the amount of infill and its ability to fill a huge gap in the neighborhood and make that area more walkable. And from a visual standpoint, it's striking to drive by that site and see how large the property actually is.

I think the new design is 8 floors and the old one I think is 6.

Looks to be at least 8 floors.  The mechanical equipment on top seems to be integrated into the mass...might make it look like an extra floor height-wise.  Also important to note is that the viaduct is at least 30 feet tall so this thing will look enormous from 11th.

• Like 1

In front of The Laurel this morning, I passed a truck hauling an addition to the big blue crane.  Looks like they're making it taller!  BTW, wish I could stand on my balcony in Terrazzo and watch how they do this.  When the building got to about 8 floors, I realized that the crane wasn't tall enough to let them build to 24 floors.  Today's encounter solves the riddle! 

In front of The Laurel this morning, I passed a truck hauling an addition to the big blue crane.  Looks like they're making it taller!  BTW, wish I could stand on my balcony in Terrazzo and watch how they do this.  When the building got to about 8 floors, I realized that the crane wasn't tall enough to let them build to 24 floors.  Today's encounter solves the riddle! 

It's quite a long process (5-6 hours) - much akin to watching paint dry. Also, welcome! Glad to see so many Gulch residents on here!

Here are a few videos of the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX-ZdPPUuhM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L50pDS9OGjw